Vikings keeping Stefanski as Offensive Coordinator

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Vikings keeping Stefanski as Offensive Coordinator

Post by Dames »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:05 pm Here's another reason not to get too excited - Zimmer is doing the hiring.

Zimmer doesn't exactly have a stellar record of hiring when it comes to his OC since he's become a head coach. Not only has there been a lot of turnover at the position, but the way his OCs have left or been fired is not exactly encouraging. It is hard to understand how an established coach like Norv Turner just up and quits in the middle of a season like he did. The firing of Flip is another thing, especially given the obvious problems along the offensive line.

Well, it's a win-now league, but historically, the type of churn we're seeing at the OC spot under Zimmer is unusual by league standards.
To be fair, it's not as if the turnover is all on Zimmer. Norm left on his own. He stated so several times. Zimmer stated that he was surprised by it. Maybe they were butting heads and Norm had enough, or maybe Norm figured he knew how to better run the offense and didn't want to listen to Zim. There is a lot more to that story, I'm sure.

There was some luck involved with Shurmur, sure, but he did make the right choice to offer the full time job to him the following year. Shurmur leaving for a HC job is clearly not Zim's fault.

JDF is a story on it's own, and yes, that can be laid at Zimmer's feet. It's the only OC he actually dismissed (officially). I think that he got caught up in the hype of JDF (and it was everyone, not just the Vikings). It's just as easy to think JDF was trying to make a name for himself, and really failed to listen to Zim... who clearly stated what he wanted multiple times (at least to the media). I find it hard to believe he didn't express that to JDF in person, but I suppose it's possible. There are some similarities between what happened to him and Norm, but we really don't know if it was the same issue. JDF was a mistake, but it's hard to judge how the interview went vs what the reality was. Some people are amazing at interviews, but are really crappy employees. (I've hired and seen a few hired). Not saying that is the case with JDF, but it's a possibility.
Damian
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I honestly don't know how to react to Stefanski's hiring. I'm not terribly excited, but then again I was really excited about JDF last year, and look where that got me.

As Jim said, Stefanski was a finalist for the Browns' job, and if I were a head coaching candidate, that would be a job I'd covet (who woulda thunk we'd ever say THAT?). Stefanski had a nice plan against Miami, even considering that the Fins weren't good on defense and there was the natural excitement of new blood calling the plays.

What really worries me is our starts on offense in the other two games, against Detroit and Chicago. In both games, we started with four 3-and-outs. I don't care how optimistic you are (and I'm pretty much a "glass 3/4 full" kind of guy), that has to cause some heartache. I mean, that's when your plays are scripted. That's when you should have somewhat of an advantage over a defense. The Bears, and some of the Detroit game could be attributed to really horrible field position, but man ... two games in a row where you don't get through your first 15 in the first 25 minutes? Not gonna win many games doing that.

Unfortunately, there's a hard truth that makes all of this OC hand-wringing irrelevant, and that's the play of our O-line. We could hire Don Coryell's ghost as offensive coordinator, and it probably wouldn't matter. Our line stinks, and if we don't see a significant upgrade, we're gonna be stuck in neutral again next year.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:21 pm I honestly don't know how to react to Stefanski's hiring. I'm not terribly excited, but then again I was really excited about JDF last year, and look where that got me.

As Jim said, Stefanski was a finalist for the Browns' job, and if I were a head coaching candidate, that would be a job I'd covet (who woulda thunk we'd ever say THAT?). Stefanski had a nice plan against Miami, even considering that the Fins weren't good on defense and there was the natural excitement of new blood calling the plays.

What really worries me is our starts on offense in the other two games, against Detroit and Chicago. In both games, we started with four 3-and-outs. I don't care how optimistic you are (and I'm pretty much a "glass 3/4 full" kind of guy), that has to cause some heartache. I mean, that's when your plays are scripted. That's when you should have somewhat of an advantage over a defense. The Bears, and some of the Detroit game could be attributed to really horrible field position, but man ... two games in a row where you don't get through your first 15 in the first 25 minutes? Not gonna win many games doing that.

Unfortunately, there's a hard truth that makes all of this OC hand-wringing irrelevant, and that's the play of our O-line. We could hire Don Coryell's ghost as offensive coordinator, and it probably wouldn't matter. Our line stinks, and if we don't see a significant upgrade, we're gonna be stuck in neutral again next year.
Exactly. Won't matter who is calling plays if the oline doesn't improve drastically this offseason.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

People are upset about an OC that had to use another coaches plays, and terminology not our oline that sucks.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

There's another angle to this.

Mike Zimmer is essentially a lame-duck coach who has gone through four OCs in five years. I'm guessing the league's top minds weren't exactly lining up for an interview. The Vikings are probably lucky that Stefanski didn't get the top job in Cleveland. We might have gotten stuck with somebody's equipment manager as OC.

That's not a commentary on Mike Zimmer. It's just a reality of having a coach in the final year of his contract.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:24 pm There's another angle to this.

Mike Zimmer is essentially a lame-duck coach who has gone through four OCs in five years. I'm guessing the league's top minds weren't exactly lining up for an interview. The Vikings are probably lucky that Stefanski didn't get the top job in Cleveland. We might have gotten stuck with somebody's equipment manager as OC.
:lol:

That would have been interesting!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:37 pm

:lol:

That would have been interesting!
I would have nominated Jim.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

That's not a commentary on Mike Zimmer. It's just a reality of having a coach in the final year of his contract.
Yeah. Although, I don't think anything will happen to Zimmer barring a 6-10 season. Even then, I don't think gets let go. I think the Wilfs like the stability he has brought to the organization and will give him a long rope. In fairness, he has had only 1 losing season, his first.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

YikesVikes wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:01 pm

Yeah. Although, I don't think anything will happen to Zimmer barring a 6-10 season. Even then, I don't think gets let go. I think the Wilfs like the stability he has brought to the organization and will give him a long rope. In fairness, he has had only 1 losing season, his first.
I think the Wilf's want progression, not regression. But they are football illiterate so who knows.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:01 am
YikesVikes wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:01 pm

I think the Wilf's want progression, not regression. But they are football illiterate so who knows.
I would hope they consult with someone. I worry about them and Glen Taylor. I'm sure it's easy to convince an owner who knows nothung that you are good at your job. You just use a bunch if buzz words like Rick.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:54 am
PurpleKoolaid wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:01 am

I would hope they consult with someone. I worry about them and Glen Taylor. I'm sure it's easy to convince an owner who knows nothung that you are good at your job. You just use a bunch if buzz words like Rick.
"Rick" is a buzz word?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:04 am
PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:54 am

"Rick" is a buzz word?
No lol. I meant he uses buzz words like Rick does.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think that plays a factor for sure but at the same time how is it not attractive for an OC to build a game plan around Cousins, Diggs, Thielen, Cook and maybe even Rudolph. That's a lot of pieces already in place. It's practically turn key, just add an OL. If I'm an OC, I'm more concerned about Rick/Zimm's inability or lack of priority on the OL as my main concern. Not to mention Zimms hands off approach has to also be attractive.

Having near full control with a rather talented personnel seems to mitigate the lame duck situation to me. Someone hungry and confident enough should be chomping at the bit for this type of opportunity.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

S197 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:36 pm

I think that plays a factor for sure but at the same time how is it not attractive for an OC to build a game plan around Cousins, Diggs, Thielen, Cook and maybe even Rudolph. That's a lot of pieces already in place. It's practically turn key, just add an OL. If I'm an OC, I'm more concerned about Rick/Zimm's inability or lack of priority on the OL as my main concern. Not to mention Zimms hands off approach has to also be attractive.

Having near full control with a rather talented personnel seems to mitigate the lame duck situation to me. Someone hungry and confident enough should be chomping at the bit for this type of opportunity.
You may be right.

I'll counter that with just plain old self-preservation. It's just human nature for a man to want stability in his personal life. If I hire on with a coach who's on the last year of his deal, it automatically means I'M on the last year of MY deal. It would certainly give me pause. Or at least if the Vikings and other teams were interested in me, I'd have to think long and hard whether Thielen and Diggs are potentially worth being unemployed this time next year.

In the end, it's all speculation. You're as likely to be right as I am. None of us knows what would have happened if Stefanski had ended up somewhere else. Makes me wonder who else the Vikings considered. Did they interview anybody else?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

S197 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:36 pm

But would he have full control? Or would he have Zim micromanaging and then running him out of town if he wouldn’t comply ?