2018 Minnesota Vikings failed season.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: 2018 Minnesota Vikings failed season.

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:24 pm
Mothman wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:42 am Ben Goessling has written a new article for the Star Tribune in which he notes that some key Vikings players are hitting their 30s (or turning 29) this year and suggests the team needs to strike now to win it all:

This part stood out to me:

This doesnt say a lot about Zimmer's defense does it. Nor does his record in Cinci. The Vikings are full of men that just cant get the job done when it counts, or against tough teams.
Honestly, I think the talent is there. They just need a fire lit. I don't think Zimmer is the guy to do it but we'll see.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

I still can't figure out either what happened to make this team play so poorly. Specifically the offense. I thought we were a lock to be in the playoffs.
The negotiator
Backup

Post by The negotiator »

V Vette wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:05 pm Lets simplify this; Vikes only needed to spend 84 million on an offensive line (we could of had 2 starting O.L. for that price)...Thats it. Who ever wanted Cousins should be fired... Cousins is a back up QB at best... Now we will go backwards for 2 more years!
I think I’ll take Shanahans and McVey’s assessment of Cousins, that he has the talent and IQ to take a team to a Super Bowl. Get him an offensive line, a balanced running attack, some creative play calling and we will have a basis for making an informed decision on him. I’ve watched him play every game from his junior year at MSU through this year. Does he have shortcomings? Sure, I wish he was more mobile, but he’s not. Some of the great qb’s are not. But he, according to Kyle and Mike Shanahan, and Sean McVey have said several times that he has a very high football IQ, and I know from watching his games he is smart and tough as they come. With a tight time window to win it all, the right moves have to be made this off season in the draft and FA. I sure hope Stefanski is the right guy. His initial presser was not inspiring. Time will be the judge.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

The negotiator wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:35 am
V Vette wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:05 pm Lets simplify this; Vikes only needed to spend 84 million on an offensive line (we could of had 2 starting O.L. for that price)...Thats it. Who ever wanted Cousins should be fired... Cousins is a back up QB at best... Now we will go backwards for 2 more years!
I think I’ll take Shanahans and McVey’s assessment of Cousins, that he has the talent and IQ to take a team to a Super Bowl. Get him an offensive line, a balanced running attack, some creative play calling and we will have a basis for making an informed decision on him. I’ve watched him play every game from his junior year at MSU through this year. Does he have shortcomings? Sure, I wish he was more mobile, but he’s not. Some of the great qb’s are not. But he, according to Kyle and Mike Shanahan, and Sean McVey have said several times that he has a very high football IQ, and I know from watching his games he is smart and tough as they come. With a tight time window to win it all, the right moves have to be made this off season in the draft and FA. I sure hope Stefanski is the right guy. His initial presser was not inspiring. Time will be the judge.
Didn't people say similar stuff about Ponder?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

More posts deleted.

The board rules clearly state "Disagree and respond to the post, do not attack the poster". That's not just a rule to carefully try to tiptoe around, it's a good guideline for how to post constructively. Please think about that when posting.

Thank you.

Jim
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

Mothman wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:03 am More posts deleted.

The board rules clearly state "Disagree and respond to the post, do not attack the poster". That's not just a rule to carefully try to tiptoe around, it's a good guideline for how to post constructively. Please think about that when posting.

Thank you.

Jim
Kind of a good rule for life, me thinks.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:03 am More posts deleted.

Thank you.

Jim
I remember the USENET days, and to see this board resemble anything like that would be a real shame indeed. Thanks for your efforts to keep things in line here.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:57 pmI remember the USENET days, and to see this board resemble anything like that would be a real shame indeed. Thanks for your efforts to keep things in line here.
We definitely wouldn't want to see this board degenerate into the mess that usenet group became.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Back on the theme of "The Vikings Failed Season".
“Quite honestly, the death of Tony Sparano really kind of threw things into a little bit of a downward spiral, only because the fact that this guy was type-A personality,” Zimmer said. “He was very innovative in the running game, had a strong voice in that room and had a strong voice with me. Yes, I do feel like we lost a little bit of our identity. We are going to get that back.”
Read more
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:05 am
To think Colin Kapernick, Andy Dalton and Tyrod Taylor was drafted after him just makes me shake my head.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

FullWood wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:18 am I still can't figure out either what happened to make this team play so poorly. Specifically the offense. I thought we were a lock to be in the playoffs.
I felt the same also.Especially after getting a decent QB. I know most think he's a bum and Case was the better option at 18 million. Case is a backup and paying 18 million is double a backup salary. But during the off season most of the experts had us falling backwards. I thought they were stupid. I should have known better. Well we have the same 500 roster and coaches right now That can't be changed in one off season. Some guys won't be back with Griff being at the top of the list. How will he be replaced? Rhodes is near the end if not there now. He's no 25 year old. And Hughes along with Eflein who knows about them. Some come back some don't but they better get guys just in case. Elf looks to be done. And Hughes first year back so he won't be the same year 1. Maybe year 2 maybe. That's 4 players just to replace the question marks. And two of those were top guys. So we need bodies just to stay even. So I don't think we can improve. There's no QB out there that's better than what we have. The Bears D is much better than ours so they will beat the crap teams including us again. We won't move the ball on them. But they have a RB playing QB. He's worse than our guy. But he's a winner and our guy isn't. I guess that will be the difference. To me we will be 500 maybe again.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

CharVike wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:38 pm
FullWood wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:18 am I still can't figure out either what happened to make this team play so poorly. Specifically the offense. I thought we were a lock to be in the playoffs.
I felt the same also.Especially after getting a decent QB. I know most think he's a bum and Case was the better option at 18 million. Case is a backup and paying 18 million is double a backup salary. But during the off season most of the experts had us falling backwards. I thought they were stupid. I should have known better. Well we have the same 500 roster and coaches right now That can't be changed in one off season. Some guys won't be back with Griff being at the top of the list. How will he be replaced? Rhodes is near the end if not there now. He's no 25 year old. And Hughes along with Eflein who knows about them. Some come back some don't but they better get guys just in case. Elf looks to be done. And Hughes first year back so he won't be the same year 1. Maybe year 2 maybe. That's 4 players just to replace the question marks. And two of those were top guys. So we need bodies just to stay even. So I don't think we can improve. There's no QB out there that's better than what we have. The Bears D is much better than ours so they will beat the crap teams including us again. We won't move the ball on them. But they have a RB playing QB. He's worse than our guy. But he's a winner and our guy isn't. I guess that will be the difference. To me we will be 500 maybe again.
One "bad" year from Rhodes and a down year from Elflein coming off an injury, and they are both done? I really dont understand your logic sometimes. If you were an NFL GM and gave up on guys so quickly like you are, you'd be out of a job awfully fast.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

FullWood wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:14 am
PurpleMustReign wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:05 am
To think Colin Kapernick, Andy Dalton and Tyrod Taylor was drafted after him just makes me shake my head.
So you honestly think Kaepernick, Dalton, Taylor and Ponder are better than Cousins?

There is some true Cousins hate on this board.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Cliff wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:29 pm Back on the theme of "The Vikings Failed Season".
“Quite honestly, the death of Tony Sparano really kind of threw things into a little bit of a downward spiral, only because the fact that this guy was type-A personality,” Zimmer said. “He was very innovative in the running game, had a strong voice in that room and had a strong voice with me. Yes, I do feel like we lost a little bit of our identity. We are going to get that back.”
Read more
Y'know, I never like to hear anything from an NFL coach that remotely resembles an excuse.

But this was a pretty extraordinary circumstance. I mean, an extremely important part of an already lacking offensive line actually DIED. And right before the start of the season.

Add to that an offensive coordinator who thought it was perfectly OK to call 50 pass plays per game behind an offensive line with serious pass-blocking issues, and it adds up to a potential disaster.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:04 pm
FullWood wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:14 am
So you honestly think Kaepernick, Dalton, Taylor and Ponder are better than Cousins?

There is some true Cousins hate on this board.
I think he meant Ponder.