2019 Season Opponents

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

MikethePurple
Veteran

Re: 2019 Season Opponents

Post by MikethePurple »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:33 pm
MikethePurple wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:40 pm

I was wondering this as well. It doesn't seem consistent when playing opponents outside of the division. I understand the schedule rotating but not how they choose home and away. For example, this year we played the Eagles away and the year before we played Washington away as well. We weren't playing the NFC East either of those two years and since they are in the same division you think there would be a yearly rotation on that. I tried googling and couldn't find any info on how they determine home and away opponents.

Looking like the Vikes have a much tougher away schedule next year and the Bears have a much more favorable home advantage for tough games next year....
I'm telling you all, lookit up. It is all a Rotation. It happens every so often that we play the same teams in the same places, but it is all a Rotation. I don't know why No one is believing me.
It's not that I don't believe you, it's that I can't find any information on it and I've done several Google searches and just at a quick glance it seems somewhat random so I'd like to be able to read something on it. I can find plenty of info on how scheduling works and that's been clear to me for quite some time. But I haven't been able to find any info on how they determine home and away. It's not that I don't believe it's that I would like to read specifically how the league determines it. If you or anyone finds a link with the info, I'd appreciate being able to read it.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:05 pm I know and understand the formula they use to figure out the opponents, but I wish I knew how they figured WHERE the games are played.
Last time we played the East(2016) we had the Giants and Cowboys at home. So this time around it will be the Eagles and Skins at home. Same with the other two NFC games. That year we played Carolina there and Cardinals at home. So this time around it will be reversed. Falcons at home and Seahawks on the road.

Future schedules

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... edules.htm
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

Raptorman wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:46 pm
VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:05 pm I know and understand the formula they use to figure out the opponents, but I wish I knew how they figured WHERE the games are played.
Last time we played the East(2016) we had the Giants and Cowboys at home. So this time around it will be the Eagles and Skins at home. Same with the other two NFC games. That year we played Carolina there and Cardinals at home. So this time around it will be reversed. Falcons at home and Seahawks on the road.

Future schedules

Yes, I understand that part of it. The only games I'm referring to are the two unknown games every year. We didn't know we were playing Seattle and Atlanta next year until this season was over. Are the locations of those games just random? Or is there a way I can figure the entire schedule out before the NFL releases it? I can figure out 14 out of the 16 opponents and where those games will be played, but I don't know where the other two games will be played or the order in which the games are played.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:15 pm

Future schedules

Yes, I understand that part of it. The only games I'm referring to are the two unknown games every year. We didn't know we were playing Seattle and Atlanta next year until this season was over. Are the locations of those games just random? Or is there a way I can figure the entire schedule out before the NFL releases it? I can figure out 14 out of the 16 opponents and where those games will be played, but I don't know where the other two games will be played or the order in which the games are played.
So let's say we play Seattle and Atlanta in three years just like this. It would be the opposite locations. Because in three years our scheduled game would be Nfc west at home and Nfc south on the road.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:15 pm

Future schedules

Well first you can't figure out who they will play until the season is over. Unless of course the divisions are set. Second, the order of games is never determined until spring when they do the whole schedule. Recently the NFL has been making it so most teams have at least 2 division game the last 4 weeks, usually the last 3 weeks if they can. Next year expect the Vikings to play the Bears and Packers sometime in weeks 14-17. Vikings haven't had a December home game against the Packer since 2012. So I could easily see us closing out the year at home against them.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

Six games against divisional opponents — two games per team, one at home and one on the road.
Four games against teams from a division within its conference — two games at home and two on the road.
Four games against teams from a division in the other conference— two games at home and two on the road.
Two games against teams from the two remaining divisions in its own conference — one game at home and one on the road. Matchups are based on division ranking from the previous season.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-game/cre ... -schedule/

There is a way to figure it out and I use to figure it out all the time 10 years ago but now that I am older with responsibilities and a short attention span. I don't bother anymore. :confused: