2019 Season Opponents

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

soflavike
Hall of Famer

2019 Season Opponents

Post by soflavike »

NFL just announced each team's opponents for next season.

Apart from the Division opponents, the Vikings will face:

Home:
Atlanta Falcons, Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins

Away:
Dallas Cowboys, Kansas City Chiefs, LA Chargers, NY Giants, Seattle Seahawks

NOT a very easy schedule, if you ask me. :shock:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: 2019 Season Opponents

Post by Mothman »

soflavike wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:18 am NFL just announced each team's opponents for next season.

Apart from the Division opponents, the Vikings will face:

Home:
Atlanta Falcons, Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins

Away:
Dallas Cowboys, Kansas City Chiefs, LA Chargers, NY Giants, Seattle Seahawks

NOT a very easy schedule, if you ask me. :shock:
That does look like a pretty tough schedule, especially on the road.

The Eagles haven't played the Vikings in Minnesota since 2013. It seems even longer than that!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

That's a brutal schedule. We'll have our work cut out for us once again.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

It doesn't seem as daunting as this year. Do we ever play Seattle here? Other than the one yesr at TCF, it seems like we are always in Seattle.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:09 am It doesn't seem as daunting as this year. Do we ever play Seattle here? Other than the one yesr at TCF, it seems like we are always in Seattle.

As you mentioned, they played at TCF in 2015 (and again in the playoffs that season, although that game was in January of 2016).

Prior to that Seattle's last trip to MN was 2009. Before that, it was in 2003 and 2004.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

It definitely does feel like the Vikings always have to go to Seattle as well as Philadelphia.

The NFC East is a tough to division to play. Eagles, Cowboys and Giants should all be tough outs.

AFC West also tough.

I'm not gonna start stressing about this right now though. :lol:
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Meanwhile the Bears get this schedule

Home: Packers, Lions, Vikings, Cowboys, Giants, Saints, Chiefs, Chargers
Away: Packers, Lions, Vikings, Eagles, Redskins, Rams, Broncos, Raiders
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

I'm in the minority here. I think that looks like a much softer schedule. Chargers and Seahawks away and of course the Bears are the toughest games.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

If none of those teams regress or get significantly better, we are looking at a 10 - 6 record next season.

Those are some weak defenses we will be facing outside of Dallas and Seattle.
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

I know and understand the formula they use to figure out the opponents, but I wish I knew how they figured WHERE the games are played.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:05 pm I know and understand the formula they use to figure out the opponents, but I wish I knew how they figured WHERE the games are played.
It's literally a Rotation. The schedules are actually set for like six more seasons or something.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

PurpleMustReign wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:43 pm
VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:05 pm I know and understand the formula they use to figure out the opponents, but I wish I knew how they figured WHERE the games are played.
It's literally a Rotation. The schedules are actually set for like six more seasons or something.
That's not really true. Most of it is cycled....rotate through a division from the AFC & NFC, but the two other NFC divisions you play the 2 teams that finished at the same position in the standings as you. So next year it's the Vikings turn to play the AFC West & the NFC East. Then we also play Atlanta and Seattle because they finished second in their division like us.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Looks like about as tough a schedule as last year. The road teams are going to be hard. And the Vikings already play so soft in nov-dec.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:58 pm
PurpleMustReign wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:43 pm

That's not really true. Most of it is cycled....rotate through a division from the AFC & NFC, but the two other NFC divisions you play the 2 teams that finished at the same position in the standings as you. So next year it's the Vikings turn to play the AFC West & the NFC East. Then we also play Atlanta and Seattle because they finished second in their division like us.
I was wondering this as well. It doesn't seem consistent when playing opponents outside of the division. I understand the schedule rotating but not how they choose home and away. For example, this year we played the Eagles away and the year before we played Washington away as well. We weren't playing the NFC East either of those two years and since they are in the same division you think there would be a yearly rotation on that. I tried googling and couldn't find any info on how they determine home and away opponents.

Looking like the Vikes have a much tougher away schedule next year and the Bears have a much more favorable home advantage for tough games next year....
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

MikethePurple wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:40 pm
VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:58 pm

I was wondering this as well. It doesn't seem consistent when playing opponents outside of the division. I understand the schedule rotating but not how they choose home and away. For example, this year we played the Eagles away and the year before we played Washington away as well. We weren't playing the NFC East either of those two years and since they are in the same division you think there would be a yearly rotation on that. I tried googling and couldn't find any info on how they determine home and away opponents.

Looking like the Vikes have a much tougher away schedule next year and the Bears have a much more favorable home advantage for tough games next year....
I'm telling you all, lookit up. It is all a Rotation. It happens every so often that we play the same teams in the same places, but it is all a Rotation. I don't know why No one is believing me.