My Plan to Fix the Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

My Plan to Fix the Vikings

Post by YikesVikes »

Here is my detailed plan if I was in charge to fix the Vikings.

1. Gain some offensive nuts.
Right now the Vikings are soft on offense. I can't tell you the last time I saw us dominate or bully another team. We have scored a lot in some games but do you ever feel like we just took another team's will? I don't think so. We don't over power teams and that has to stop. I want to turn us into bullies on offense.

2. Hire the best OC/Oline Coach in the business - Bill Callahan
My plan for this is to offer Bill Callahan a dual role here on the Vikings. He would be titled Assistant Head Coach but his main role would be that of OC with a focus on fixing the offensive line. He can hire whoever he wants as Oline coach but they would be his baby and his responsibility. No more 2.1 seconds to throw. Kevin will be allowed to move on. I know he wasn't given a fair chance to show what he can do with building a playbook from his play and terminology but I can't risk it. I need a guy that has the proven ability to be a darn good OC. Callahan has the resume and one of the top offenses when he was a HC.

3. Cut the dead weight on the oline
If we are going to suck on the oline, I rather do so at on the cheap and pay some other guys. Reiff is expected to make 11 million this season. If he won't restructure for less than 8. Cut him. Saves 9.5 million. Cut Remmers saves 6 million. That's 15 million a year average to address guys that can actually play at an average level.

4. Draft a RT.
Fixing this line means addressing RT after moving Oneil to LT. Unlike Speilman, I will build redundancies in case Oneil doesn't work out at LT. I am taking Greg Little from Ole Miss to play RT and incase Oneil bombs allow them to switch. We will retain hill to play swing tackle like last season.

5. Sign run blockers at guard. I want guys that can open up holes. I am tired of seeing us destroyed in the run game. I am tired of seeing defenders in the backfield. I want to see some nasty. I want to see some bullying. I want these guys for under 6 millon each. Chance Warmack and Raymond Foster fits the build.

6. Trade Rhodes. Im sure you love the guy, I'm not impressed. I think he is physical but I don't think he is sticky. He's always "hurt" and he seems to be faking a lot. I rather get an early 2nd rounder for him and get rid of that salary. Saves 11 million in salary. Cbs next year would be Hughes and Waynes, Hill as the 3rd. Mac as the nickel. We can draft a guy late and use UDFAs to fill the void. Time for the DB whisperer to earn his title.

7. Draft a Tough ILB to replace Barr.
Kid I have in mind is Devin Bush from Michigan. Some won't like his size but none will question his ability to simply destroy an offense. He possesses everything (but height.). Speed, instincts, and toughness. Is a real alpha male in the room. If Mack Wilson from Alabama fell here, we would have an interesting choice.

8. Address the DT position after letting Richardson walk.
At the top of the 2nd round we should have a chance at Raekwon Davis or Christian WIlkins. 2 different guys but both would help us. Run stuffing against us with Davis and Joseph will be a non-factor. Wilkins is an uber athlete at the DT position.

9. Extend Theilan to a big frontloaded payday to make use of our new cap space early. The remaining years of the deal will average about 9 million a year but this year's signing bonus will have him averaging 14 a year.

10. Continue to address the oline and depth peices in the 4-7. We should have an extra 3rd or 5th. Doesn't matter to me. Rick can continue to do the nonsense he always does. With these changes, the team will be well on it's way to having a new oline and still have the ability to draft a QB in the 2020 NFL draft to groom to replace Cousins. Qb will sit and learn.
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Re: My Plan to Fix the Vikings

Post by nightowl »

Reiff isn't going anywhere. Cutting him will cause a 6.6 million dead money cap hit to save 5.1 million. He's staying for at least this year.

Remmers on the other hand. 1.8 million dead money but saves 4.55 million. I can see him gone.

Sendejo is a prime candidate too. No dead money, saves 5.5 million

Maybe Rudolph too. No dead money, saves 7.65 million

The big one could be Griffen. 1.2 million in dead money, saves 10.7 million.

They can create quite a bit of cap space pretty easily really.

Weatherly played pretty well and they still have Bower and Aruna they're developing so Griff could be expendable.

Remmers is nothing special and Harris played well for Sendejo so he could go.

Rudolph has moments, but for a team looking to create space it might be the way to go.

Dump those four Griffen, Rudolph, Remmers and Sendejo and suddenly you have just over 28 million more in cap space more than you did before.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

nightowl wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:56 pm Reiff isn't going anywhere. Cutting him will cause a 6.6 million dead money cap hit to save 5.1 million. He's staying for at least this year.

Remmers on the other hand. 1.8 million dead money but saves 4.55 million. I can see him gone.

Weatherly played pretty well and they still have Bower and Aruna they're developing so Griff could be expendable.

Rudolph has moments, but for a team looking to create space it might be the way to go.

Dump those four Griffen, Rudolph, Remmers and Sendejo and suddenly you have just over 28 million more in cap space more than you did before.
I think those are all very good candidates, with Griff and Rudolph possibly staying if they restructure. Remmers should definitely be gone and Harris looks good enough to replace Sendejo. Reiff is very overpaid but you're probably right in that he stays another year. Maybe O'Neill can move to LT and Reiff to right.

I have a bad feeling we go into the draft taking a DL and LB in rounds 1 and 2 with a guard in the 3rd. And they will run with O'Neill, Easton, Elflein, Rookie, Reiff while we get to hear all offseason how greatly improved Isidora and Collins looks...

Ideally they go RT (who can play G for a year) and G early, similar to what the Colts did. They realized Luck needed protection, hopefully Rick and Zim realize the same.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

nightowl wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:56 pm Reiff isn't going anywhere. Cutting him will cause a 6.6 million dead money cap hit to save 5.1 million. He's staying for at least this year.

Dumping Reiff with a post 6/1 date will free up 9.5 million. The dead money can be split in two years. Offset the 2nd year with cap money rolled over and it's not an issue.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

S197 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:10 pm

I think those are all very good candidates, with Griff and Rudolph possibly staying if they restructure. Remmers should definitely be gone and Harris looks good enough to replace Sendejo. Reiff is very overpaid but you're probably right in that he stays another year. Maybe O'Neill can move to LT and Reiff to right.

I have a bad feeling we go into the draft taking a DL and LB in rounds 1 and 2 with a guard in the 3rd. And they will run with O'Neill, Easton, Elflein, Rookie, Reiff while we get to hear all offseason how greatly improved Isidora and Collins looks...

Ideally they go RT (who can play G for a year) and G early, similar to what the Colts did. They realized Luck needed protection, hopefully Rick and Zim realize the same.
Keep Reiff at 11 million is crazy. Get rid of him unless he takes a reduction. We can be major players in free agency with some of the names you listed and still sign young guys to replace our lost vets. A pass catching TE in the 6th. Extend Kearse at about 3 million a year. Harris at 5.
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

I think Rick learned that lesson last draft. If I recall he pretty much admitted the board turned different than he thought and might have got too cute.

That said, as much as we all know it's a desperate need I hope he doesn't laser in and overreach on an Olineman if there is not one worth it at 18. Move back or up but please don't do the Ponder version of the oline and overshoot by a mile. Have no clue what the class looks like right now so I don't know who or what is out there.
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

YikesVikes wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:11 pm Dumping Reiff with a post 6/1 date will free up 9.5 million. The dead money can be split in two years. Offset the 2nd year with cap money rolled over and it's not an issue.
Didn't see that, then again the Over the cap site was being uncooperative with me. :)
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

nightowl wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:37 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:11 pm Dumping Reiff with a post 6/1 date will free up 9.5 million. The dead money can be split in two years. Offset the 2nd year with cap money rolled over and it's not an issue.
Didn't see that, then again the Over the cap site was being uncooperative with me. :)
This team is being uncooperative with me too.
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

nightowl wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:23 pm

I think Rick learned that lesson last draft. If I recall he pretty much admitted the board turned different than he thought and might have got too cute.

That said, as much as we all know it's a desperate need I hope he doesn't laser in and overreach on an Olineman if there is not one worth it at 18. Move back or up but please don't do the Ponder version of the oline and overshoot by a mile. Have no clue what the class looks like right now so I don't know who or what is out there.
They are taking a lineman at 18 no matter what BPA is available.. Any lineman at 18 is not a reach I don't care if he has a 2nd round grade. They can't get cute and have the board go pear shaped on em again. OL at 18 no matter who or what is available
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Is everyone going to have a thread like this, or can we make just a few topics. They are all the same anyways. Its easier to go through them.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Keep Reiff at 11 million is crazy. Get rid of him unless he takes a reduction. We can be major players in free agency with some of the names you listed and still sign young guys to replace our lost vets. A pass catching TE in the 6th. Extend Kearse at about 3 million a year. Harris at 5.
[/quote]

We have a pass catching TE in Conclin. He's as good as its going to get for a TE in the 6th, 'pass catching' TE or not. Id much rather have these late pics go to Zimmer and the D. At least Zim has the talent to coach them up. Except Kearse. God himself couldnt fix Kearse. Its time to take out the trash this year. And use the good picks-FA on the offensive side of the ball. Zimmer has talent, lets use it.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

[/quote]

Just about every player in this years draft on the Oline is above average to sucks. A lot of good defensive players though. Zimmer should be happy, if he plans to stick around and doesnt 'retire' or isnt let go. I think we could get a great DT, DE and LB for fairly reasonable. Use the cheap picks Ricky prides himself on to get the rest of the D. But spend the first 2 picks on offensive players, any of them that are BPA. We need everything so it doesnt really matter. Esp. if we can trade/FA Kyle.

Some day I will learn to quote the way i'm supposed to, i swear.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I brought up the potential of cutting Rudolph yesterday too. Not sure how they feel about Conklin going foward, but there's a couple TE's in this draft they could set their eyes on. After OL in the 1st, I think they might go with a pass rusher in round 2, but if Hockenson from Iowa is still on the board, they might just need to do go and get him.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

YikesVikes wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:19 pm Here is my detailed plan if I was in charge to fix the Vikings.

Right now the Vikings are soft on offense. I can't tell you the last time I saw us dominate or bully another team. We have scored a lot in some games but do you ever feel like we just took another team's will? I don't think so. We don't over power teams and that has to stop. I want to turn us into bullies on offense.

My plan for this is to offer Bill Callahan a dual role here on the Vikings. He would be titled Assistant Head Coach but his main role would be that of OC with a focus on fixing the offensive line. He can hire whoever he wants as Oline coach but they would be his baby and his responsibility. No more 2.1 seconds to throw. Kevin will be allowed to move on. I know he wasn't given a fair chance to show what he can do with building a playbook from his play and terminology but I can't risk it. I need a guy that has the proven ability to be a darn good OC. Callahan has the resume and one of the top offenses when he was a HC.

If we are going to suck on the oline, I rather do so at on the cheap and pay some other guys. Reiff is expected to make 11 million this season. If he won't restructure for less than 8. Cut him. Saves 9.5 million. Cut Remmers saves 6 million. That's 15 million a year average to address guys that can actually play at an average level.

4. Draft a RT.
Fixing this line means addressing RT after moving Oneil to LT. Unlike Speilman, I will build redundancies in case Oneil doesn't work out at LT. I am taking Greg Little from Ole Miss to play RT and incase Oneil bombs allow them to switch. We will retain hill to play swing tackle like last season.

5. Sign run blockers at guard. I want guys that can open up holes. I am tired of seeing us destroyed in the run game. I am tired of seeing defenders in the backfield. I want to see some nasty. I want to see some bullying. I want these guys for under 6 millon each. Chance Warmack and Raymond Foster fits the build.

6. Trade Rhodes. Im sure you love the guy, I'm not impressed. I think he is physical but I don't think he is sticky. He's always "hurt" and he seems to be faking a lot. I rather get an early 2nd rounder for him and get rid of that salary. Saves 11 million in salary. Cbs next year would be Hughes and Waynes, Hill as the 3rd. Mac as the nickel. We can draft a guy late and use UDFAs to fill the void. Time for the DB whisperer to earn his title.

Kid I have in mind is Devin Bush from Michigan. Some won't like his size but none will question his ability to simply destroy an offense. He possesses everything (but height.). Speed, instincts, and toughness. Is a real alpha male in the room. If Mack Wilson from Alabama fell here, we would have an interesting choice.

At the top of the 2nd round we should have a chance at Raekwon Davis or Christian WIlkins. 2 different guys but both would help us. Run stuffing against us with Davis and Joseph will be a non-factor. Wilkins is an uber athlete at the DT position.

9. Extend Theilan to a big frontloaded payday to make use of our new cap space early. The remaining years of the deal will average about 9 million a year but this year's signing bonus will have him averaging 14 a year.

10. Continue to address the oline and depth peices in the 4-7. We should have an extra 3rd or 5th. Doesn't matter to me. Rick can continue to do the nonsense he always does. With these changes, the team will be well on it's way to having a new oline and still have the ability to draft a QB in the 2020 NFL draft to groom to replace Cousins. Qb will sit and learn.
Agree with all of that. I think the guards must be great at pass protection too bc Cousins can't move. Also, run defense is a problem. We gave up an average of 4.1 per carry this year I believe. Richardson needs to be replaced with beef. Barr needs to be replaced with a speedy cover linebacker.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

YikesVikes wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:19 pm Here is my detailed plan if I was in charge to fix the Vikings.

4. Draft a RT.

I think, while your plan is reasonable, it makes the team worse next year not better.