Is Kirk Cousins the leader you want?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

MikethePurple
Veteran

Is Kirk Cousins the leader you want?

Post by MikethePurple »

So after the emotional reactions that I was going through yesterday, I wanted to ask the question about Kirk Cousins, not necessarily from a playing standpoint but from a personality and leadership standpoint. Although those things will always be intertwined to an extent. What really made me want to focus on this were the shots on the sidelines when he was interacting with the other players. While I understand emotions run high during games, these don't seem to be isolated incidents.

A couple of things that just rubbed me the wrong way from a personality style when Cousins first signed here; I heard he was going to have camera crews film him and the process of choosing a new team and I thought, "that's pretty lame but whatever, seems like he's trying to market himself and other athletes have done it." I also remember reading that he trademarked the saying, "You Vike That!" which again my first reaction was, "wow what a dork, but he's trying to capitalize and market himself" (aside from the fact that that has to be one of the dumbest trademarked lines ever). Also, every time I've seen him in interviews, he seems to act like a politician and is extremely premeditated and lacks a certain sense of authenticity. Just a couple of initial thoughts of when I have seen his public face and trying to make some inferences on him as a person.

Fast forward to the beginning of the year and Vikings are starting to fall short of the lofty expectations many had, and Kirk would deflect blame from his own performance and point out the mistakes others were making in interviews. I know it's cliche media speak for the quarterback to get all the blame when things go wrong and all the praise when things go right, but the way he would answer questions made me think of someone who never takes responsibility for their own actions and tries to blame others or situations. While that holds true for some of it (ex. disastrous O-line), Cousins still was making his share of mistakes that he would not own up to. To me, if you are a leader, you need to be able to hold yourself accountable, have the humility to admit to mistakes you make, and have the tough skin to be able to take criticism and then improve.

Finally, some of the sideline shots they showed yesterday, in addition to the one from a few weeks ago between him and Thielen and "it's been there all f-ing day." I'm not sure that his teammates really like him or that he is a very likable guy or has the qualities you need in a leader. The animated discussions from yesterday between him and Thielen, the daggers that Diggs was staring through him, or the look of complete disinterest and disgust that Cook was showing while Cousins was trying to point out what Cook had done wrong when they had that incompletion. He doesn't seem to have the respect of his teammates. There are ways to hold people accountable for mistakes and there are ways that you can talk to them while showing respect. The sense I get is that his teammates just kind of tune him out when he approaches them in this fashion or they don't respond well.

My worry is that he is here for another two years because of his contract. Could this affect the overall make up of the team, especially when I'm not sure we can identify clear leaders on the offensive side of the ball? Not every quarterback has to be a charismatic leader but they have to be a likable person and I have doubts on whether Cousins is that person.

I also want to point out that obviously this is a lot of speculation and just based on perceptions and there is no way of knowing the actual truth unless you had honest sources from the inside, but I thought a discussion on Cousin's intangible qualities might be worthwhile. I know people have a hard time agreeing on much more tangible aspects of his such as on-field performance so a very objective and perception based topic like this might be an exercise in futility but I thought I'd at least give it a go :lol: Not to mention my first topic started ever!
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Is Kirk Cousins the leader you want?

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

I've posted it here before but the Cousins starting center for all but his final yr in Washington is from my hometown, he's now retired and lives back here, and his older brother is my boss.
When we signed Cousins he told me that Cousins is a great guy but said he will break your heart when it mattered most.
I guess he wasn't BSing me any. I'm gonna get together with him sometime to talk and just find out what Cousins is like as a leader, in the huddle and locker room.
It sure didn't end as well as I thought.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I like him if they get a line and an offensive Head Coach. Regardless, he's here for 2 more years.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I'm not impressed with his lack of poise and composure. Nor, I'm sure, is anybody on his team. When you get skittish and squirrely, I think you lose the respect of your teammates, and I think those are words that describe Kirk accurately. That panicked backward pass to Murray was sort of an icon for what kind of QB Cousins is. All the rest of it just doesn't matter much. He's not a guy people will follow. They need to draft a QB this year and Kirk cannot be the guaranteed starter in 2020. In fact, they need to bench him in 2019 if he isn't looking a whole lot better.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:48 pm I'm not impressed with his lack of poise and composure. Nor, I'm sure, is anybody on his team. When you get skittish and squirrely, I think you lose the respect of your teammates, and I think those are words that describe Kirk accurately. That panicked backward pass to Murray was sort of an icon for what kind of QB Cousins is. All the rest of it just doesn't matter much. He's not a guy people will follow. They need to draft a QB this year and Kirk cannot be the guaranteed starter in 2020. In fact, they need to bench him in 2019 if he isn't looking a whole lot better.
Totally agree on drafting a QB. Don't wait until the deal is over and you are desperate.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

No
purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by purplehaze »

No, see ya all next September. And happy new year everyone.
Last edited by purplehaze on Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“He's like a piece of gristle. He's got a great squirt in the hole"-- Brad Childress.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

He seems like a really nice dude. Quirky, but an overall good dude.
Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:56 pm
fiestavike wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:48 pm I'm not impressed with his lack of poise and composure. Nor, I'm sure, is anybody on his team. When you get skittish and squirrely, I think you lose the respect of your teammates, and I think those are words that describe Kirk accurately. That panicked backward pass to Murray was sort of an icon for what kind of QB Cousins is. All the rest of it just doesn't matter much. He's not a guy people will follow. They need to draft a QB this year and Kirk cannot be the guaranteed starter in 2020. In fact, they need to bench him in 2019 if he isn't looking a whole lot better.
Totally agree on drafting a QB. Don't wait until the deal is over and you are desperate.
I was thinking about this today as well...I don't think this is the year to do it, but next year they should definitely be drafting a quarterback.
Mogvet
Practice Squad

Post by Mogvet »

DO NOT DRAFT A QB THIS YEAR!!!!! There are several QB's doing their final year before entering the draft next year, we are stuck with Cousins for 2 more years no matter what you think of him....personally I don't know what to think of him. No QB with the OL we had this year could compete, we need to draft big time on the OL otherwise we will sit and spin our wheels AGAIN! You can't win with a porous OL like we had this year.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

We should also consider pulling a Brock Osweiller. Somebody might view Cousins as a bit of an upgrade or take him as a salary dump if compensated. I would seriously make an effort to dump him and bring in Foles or Bridgewater.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Mogvet wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:56 pm No QB with the OL we had this year could compete
Deshaun Watson begs to differ.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

Yes, I agree that is the impression I get as well. I think Aikman spoke to that a little on the telecast. He talked about how Cousins has his day planned in increments of 10 minutes. He basically said that he was wound too tight as a personality and even Zimmer has told him that sometimes he needs to just go out there and play. Part of my issue with that is, in a game where there are too many variables and things break down too often, there is only so much planning and preparation that can account for success. The ability to improvise and roll with things when they don't go your way is an important leadership quality and my concern is, if he is wound that tight, has a brain coach, and generally seems to be a guy who is lacking in physical and mental improvisational skills, how much success can you have in the game and how much are your teammates going to look at that and not see those as leadership qualities or trust you in clutch situations. Some of this seems to be playing out with his record in big games and possibly overthinking things too much.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Didn't like him when he was in Washington. He certainly didn't change my opinion this year. He is who I thought he was.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

It's one thing to be a vocal leader, which Cousins is. I have no problem with that style of leadership. However, words mean little when your play can't do the talking - which was the case for Cousins in the games that truly mattered.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Ricky reached, again, for a FA Qb. Because he hasnt got a clue on how to draft a good one, or train him.