Mike Zimmer

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Mike Zimmer

Post by VikingLord »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:52 pm Like I said in another thread, whether it is this year or the next, it doesn't really matter. He will be gone soon, he doesn't have a good enough team to coach, and the GM is untouchable, so Zim will be the sacrificial lamb. Might as well be this year, but people should be ready for this team to get worse, especially on D, and not better.
You think Spielman is untouchable? I disagree. Spielman should be every bit as at risk as Zimmer or anyone else on this squad, and I'll just throw out Treadwell as a prime example of why. Where was that former #1 pick in this game? Where was he all year? Where has he been his entire time with the Vikings? Why was the offensive line so bad this year? Does it disturb the Wilfs at all that they needed their 2nd round OT pick this year to step in as a starter and arguably become the best offensive linemen on the team by the end of the season?

How can Spielman escape scrutiny at this point?

I'm not saying he'll be at the head of the firing line, but if Zimmer is coming under scrutiny and criticism, at this point Spielman should be coming under twice as much scrutiny and criticism. He's the one who let Keenum walk. He's the one who brought in Cousins on a big *guaranteed* deal for 3 years. Now he, and the rest of us, will have to live with that for the foreseeable future.

Also, Zimmer is FAR from a sacrificial lamb here. It's Zimmer's team. He's the one who has to get them ready each week. He's the one responsible for their performances. He accepted that responsibility with the job and the paycheck, and this year, his team stunk to high heaven in WAY too many games on the offensive side of the ball. Someone has got to take responsibility for that. They fired Flip and nothing changed, so it wasn't the OC.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Not counting the detroit game, the first half point totals for the last 8 games is abysmal. Absolutely abysmal. Cousins looks completely lost and it's not zims fault kearse decided to grab a slow #### tight end when trubisky was spun around and got sacked. Its also not his fault robinson dropped a pass for an easy first down. Its also not his fault that richardson got called for a completely bs roughing call which ultimately resulted in 7 more points. This defense is fine. When you start 4 consecutive games with 3 three and outs, its a sign. Yeah he's the hc and ultimately its his issue but when you let the sides of the ball run autonomously, you cant really blame him in a way.

What do you guys expect? Him to start calling offensive plays? Truth be told chicago did not play a good game today, the vikings lost this plain and simple. Stupid untimely penalties being the main culprit, with cousins bringing up the rear. To see a normally quiet guy like thielen going at cousins AGAIN that should tell everyone something. Diggs looked like he wanted to punch kirk in the throat too but didnt say anything that i could tell. Was rudolph even targeted? On that one throw he threw out of bounds he had someone running free up the seam and didnt see it, no idea how. Even aikman was saying something is wrong with him.

They started the year horribly, ended up 3rd in defense heading into this last week. Thats a massive turnaround. You can't blame zimmer for this. The one thing i do fault him on however is not having the balls to bench cousins and see if siemien could jump start the offense when your season is on the line, and your offensive players are drowning with number 8 steering them all into a whirlpool. This money above performance thing is dumb. I dont care how much hes making, if he's playing like #### bench his ####, plain and simple.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

The Bears gashed Zimmer's defense today. Their top two rushers averaged 5.3 and 4.8 yards per carry.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

I like Zimmer. I hope he stays for a while. There's a good group of people on the team. They just need improvement from the OL and QB and they should be able to hang with any team next year.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:08 pm
PacificNorseWest wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:07 pm For anyone watching SNF, Florio was asked by Tirico of any possible surprise firings that people may not be expecting and he hemmed and hawed before saying something to the effect that whether you call it firing, resigning or stepping down, people are "keeping an eye on the Vikings" situation.

PurpleMustReign I think brought it up, but I do get a sense that Zimmer is contemplating his role and whether or not he wants to continue.
I brought it up a few weeks ago after the bye, but I think Texas Vike brought it up earlier. Thdt is interesting though, they have inside knowledge.
I mentioned it in the game day chat. That's just the read I get on Zimmer: he seems fed up with it all, tired, and profoundly frustrated. Then again, that's sort of his standard default mode. He kind of has that Clint Eastwood, constant simmer with a treat of boiling over thing going on. Very interesting to see that there may be some substance to my / our intuition.

I would be somewhat bummed out though, to be honest. I like Zimmer, but I do question whether he's got a global-enough of a vision as HC to lead us to the Lombardi. I wish we could retain him as D coordinator. I almost feel like he'd enjoy that more.

When I look around the league at the coaches that have 'IT' ... they share that trait that Zimmer doesn't have (joy). Pete Carroll, Doug Pederson (last year), Nagy this year, McVay. They all seem to enjoy what they're doing a heck of a lot more than Zimmer. That kind of energy is crucial.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:52 amI mentioned it in the game day chat. That's just the read I get on Zimmer: he seems fed up with it all, tired, and profoundly frustrated. Then again, that's sort of his standard default mode. He kind of has that Clint Eastwood, constant simmer with a treat of boiling over thing going on. Very interesting to see that there may be some substance to my / our intuition.

I would be somewhat bummed out though, to be honest. I like Zimmer, but I do question whether he's got a global-enough of a vision as HC to lead us to the Lombardi. I wish we could retain him as D coordinator. I almost feel like he'd enjoy that more.

When I look around the league at the coaches that have 'IT' ... they share that trait that Zimmer doesn't have (joy). Pete Carroll, Doug Pederson (last year), Nagy this year, McVay. They all seem to enjoy what they're doing a heck of a lot more than Zimmer. That kind of energy is crucial.
I agree. It is crucial and it seems lacking on the Vikes.

There are a lot of good, talented players on the team but as a whole, they seem pretty tightly wound. Maybe that's a reflection of their coach but I wonder about player leadership too. How do they keep showing up for big games and playing flat? From the very beginning of yesterday's game, it looked to me like the Bears were the team that wanted it more, the team with energy. Under the circumstances, we should have seen the opposite (or at least an equivalent degree of energy from the Vikings). How much of a leadership gap might the loss of a noted team leader like Robison or a veteran like Newman have created on the team this year?
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:10 am
Texas Vike wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:52 amI mentioned it in the game day chat. That's just the read I get on Zimmer: he seems fed up with it all, tired, and profoundly frustrated. Then again, that's sort of his standard default mode. He kind of has that Clint Eastwood, constant simmer with a treat of boiling over thing going on. Very interesting to see that there may be some substance to my / our intuition.

I agree. It is crucial and it seems lacking on the Vikes.

There are a lot of good, talented players on the team but as a whole, they seem pretty tightly wound. Maybe that's a reflection of their coach but I wonder about player leadership too. How do they keep showing up for big games and playing flat? From the very beginning of yesterday's game, it looked to me like the Bears were the team that wanted it more, the team with energy. Under the circumstances, we should have seen the opposite (or at least an equivalent degree of energy from the Vikings). How much of a leadership gap might the loss of a noted team leader like Robison or a veteran like Newman have created on the team this year?
That's a good point, Jim, I hadn't thought of that. Then you add Keenum's energy / vibe and substitute in Kirk's neurotic hyper-planning type of energy and that's a significant shift too. I was one of the guys that was in favor of bringing Cousins in. I regret that we did now. I just don't like how he handles pressure games and situations. He's way too tightly wound. He psyches himself out. He sure is an articulate guy though, eloquent as can be. The opposite of his coach, really. But that doesn't win games unfortunately.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:18 amThat's a good point, Jim, I hadn't thought of that. Then you add Keenum's energy / vibe and substitute in Kirk's neurotic hyper-planning type of energy and that's a significant shift too.
It is... it seems like Keenum stayed pretty loose and positive last year and that kind of energy is contagious.
I was one of the guys that was in favor of bringing Cousins in. I regret that we did now. I just don't like how he handles pressure games and situations. He's way too tightly wound. He psyches himself out. He sure is an articulate guy though, eloquent as can be. The opposite of his coach, really. But that doesn't win games unfortunately.
Alas, it doesn't. I wonder if he can loosen up. It might really help his game.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

From @TomPelissero on Twitter:
Text from #Vikings coach Mike Zimmer: "I'm not retiring or resigning. Period." Disappointment still fresh, but multiple team sources tell me they'd be shocked if Zimmer is out. He's under contract for 2019.
Tavern_Wino
Practice Squad

Post by Tavern_Wino »

I believe Zimmer is safe at least until his contract is up. There doesn't appear to be any sign of an extension for him at the moment, so maybe Wifs are staying true to form with their contractual obligations.

However, for me, there is a lack of conunity among the offensive side of the ball. Norv left abruptly and John Defilippo was fired with 4 games left in his 1st season. How can anyone perform at a high level with continuity when they are constantly looking over at Zimmer putting his nose is their job.

I think Zimmer needs to be held accountable just as much as the other coaches he is undermining. His team possibly overachieved last season and now this is the level of regression his team is headed. I just don't feel like the Zimmer of Cincinnati days longer exists. The drive, desire, passion to win just kind of goes through the motions with him in my opinion.

Opposing teams don't fear him. Chicago will not be able to run the ball on Philly and force Trubisky to beat them through the air. I would say Philedepha and Minnesota's front seven are comparable. Watch how Philly game plans. You will see a difference in coaching the remainder of the season. It will look nothing like this fanbase is accustomed to.

Changes have to be made. May it be George Edwards, and the secondary coaches (there are a handful of quality coaches being fired), but this defense looked atrocious yesterday. Beaten and lost.

If this organization is going to force feed us with the likes of Zimmer and Spielman at least go and find some more experienced coaches at the most crucial areas. Starting on the offensive line all the way to special teams. Prove to us, the fans, that they do care and want their franchise to be mentioned as a franchise of success for year and years to come.

SKOL ON!
Boomer Sooner
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Mothman wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:25 am From @TomPelissero on Twitter:
Text from #Vikings coach Mike Zimmer: "I'm not retiring or resigning. Period." Disappointment still fresh, but multiple team sources tell me they'd be shocked if Zimmer is out. He's under contract for 2019.
I, for one, am glad about this.

He and Spielman have the duration of Cousins' deal to figure something out or else it's blow up and clean house city.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:45 am
Mothman wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:25 am From @TomPelissero on Twitter:

I, for one, am glad about this.

He and Spielman have the duration of Cousins' deal to figure something out or else it's blow up and clean house city.
There are 4 possibilities of what can happen here.

1. Nothing. Spielman and Zimmer both come back.
2. Spielman is fired and Zimmer is retained.
3. Zimmer is fired/resigns and Spielman is retained.
4. Neither are retained.

IMO #1 is the most likely. #2 is probably my favorite option, despite this thread I created. One thing I will say about Zimmer is he is the best I've seen at developing defensive talent. That shouldn't be ignored. #3 would infuriate me (I do not want Spielman here if Zimmer is it here). #4 depends on Wilf's mood.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:45 amI, for one, am glad about this.

They might not have that long. Reporters have been saying the contracts for Zimmer and Spielman both expire after the 2019 season.

Regarding their fate now, Tom Pelissero tweeted this out a couple hours ago:
@TomPelissero
#Vikings owners Zygi and Mark Wilf sat in on the final team meeting today, as they do every season, and both reiterated their belief in coach Mike Zimmer and GM Rick Spielman, sources tell me and @RapSheet. "There won't be changes here," one source said.
So, it sounds like Zimmer and Spielman will continue running the show for at least another season. The question becomes: are the Wilfs confident enough in to extend those deals or is the belief they just expressed in Mike Zimmer and Rick Spielman more of a last chance for those two?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:01 pm
PacificNorseWest wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:45 amI, for one, am glad about this.

They might not have that long. Reporters have been saying the contracts for Zimmer and Spielman both expire after the 2019 season.

Regarding their fate now, Tom Pelissero tweeted this out a couple hours ago:
@TomPelissero
#Vikings owners Zygi and Mark Wilf sat in on the final team meeting today, as they do every season, and both reiterated their belief in coach Mike Zimmer and GM Rick Spielman, sources tell me and @RapSheet. "There won't be changes here," one source said.
So, it sounds like Zimmer and Spielman will continue running the show for at least another season. The question becomes: are the Wilfs confident enough in to extend those deals or is the belief they just expressed in Mike Zimmer and Rick Spielman more of a last chance for those two?
This annoys me. If I was as bad at my job as spielman hss been with his, I wiuld be fired. But, fine. If they don't adequately address the OL through FA and draft this season, I will personally fire Spielman.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:03 pmThis annoys me. If I was as bad at my job as spielman hss been with his, I wiuld be fired. But, fine. If they don't adequately address the OL through FA and draft this season, I will personally fire Spielman.
:lol: