2018 Minnesota Vikings failed season.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 2018 Minnesota Vikings failed season.

Post by MrPurplenGold »

Mothman wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:31 pm
MrPurplenGold wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:18 pmI would say dysfunctional is probably an emotional overreaction.
I understand why you might think that but I'd have to be feeling emotional for that to be the case and honestly, I'm not emotional right now. I'm not particularly upset about the loss because I didn't believe this year's Vikes could do any real damage in the postseason anyway. Intellectually, I could acknowledge the possibility but having watched them play all year, I never really believed they'd be able to to "turn it on", get hot and make a postseason run. Plus, my opinion about the team's dysfunction wasn't formed today, in the wake of this loss. It's an opinion I've held for a LONG time and it's been reinforced this season.

Fair enough. So who would be your top coaching candidates to replace zimmer?
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:28 pm I forgot... Fire Mike Priefer. How many failed kickers does it take to realize that he is worthless and detrimental to the team? Bailey was 21 of 28 on FGs this season... He was the second most accurate kicker in NFL history!
Matt Wile was about the only positive about the special teams this season (and Marcus Sherels). I am sick of being on edge for all of our kicks.
I’d honestly like to know much more about what goes into the kicking. We do seem to have kickers who simply “forget” how to kick! But I honestly have no clue if it’s in alignment or what?

Kickers have their routines. I can’t imagine a coach would have too much to say in regards to basic lining up, hashes, kicking style etc. but I truly don’t know.

I always compare kicking to my wedge game. I might be way off on that. But if all you do all year is hit 80 yard wedge shots......you’re gonna get pretty good at 80 yard wedge shots. I’m really curious how much blame is laid on the coaches for this weird position!

I admit I’m biased as I’m very jaded on kickers in general....
i'm ready for a beer.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

MrPurplenGold wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:37 pmFair enough. So who would be your top coaching candidates to replace zimmer?
I'm not sure at this point. I'd have to take a much closer look at the coaching landscape.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:28 pm I forgot... Fire Mike Priefer. How many failed kickers does it take to realize that he is worthless and detrimental to the team? Bailey was 21 of 28 on FGs this season... He was the second most accurate kicker in NFL history!
Matt Wile was about the only positive about the special teams this season (and Marcus Sherels). I am sick of being on edge for all of our kicks.
Dan Bailey's FG % this year was almost identical to last year's...

Blair Walsh had his best years under Preifer....

Kai Forbath had his best years under Preifer...

Really it is only Carlson, who needed the weeks he was not employed to completely redo how he was kicking the football, who improved after leaving the Vikings. Who knows if he does what he did in Oakland here, if he had more than one game under his belt.

The only highlight from this game was the special teams, but lets fire the guy who coaches them. Brilliant.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:53 pm

Really it is only Carlson, who needed the weeks he was not employed to completely redo how he was kicking the football, who improved after leaving the Vikings. Who knows if he does what he did in Oakland here, if he had more than one game under his belt.

The only highlight from this game was the special teams, but lets fire the guy who coaches them. Brilliant.
Also, we are 6th in fewest punt return yards per attempt against and 7th most in yards per attempt for.

They are also 7th most in YPA on kickoff returns as well.

Horrible special team's coach, just horrible.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:01 pm

Also, we are 6th in fewest punt return yards per attempt against and 7th most in yards per attempt for.

Walsh regressed horribly under Priefer. Forbath was about the same. Bailey regressed.
But whatever. I'm not having a conversation if you are going to cop an attitude. I'm not in the mood.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Walsh had a great rookie year and only got worse under Priefer the longer he stayed.

Forbath struggled with PATs.

Dan Bailey missed 7 FGs this year, more than any in his career and that was only in 13 games. He was also hurt last year, otherwise he was never a 70% kicker.

Then there's Carlson who went from 0-3 under Priefer to making every kick 7 games in a row.

Then there's Kluwe (who was openly vocal about Priefer's coaching techniques), Quigley, and Locke.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I thought of something too... The Vikings have had poor OL play since the mid 2000s... What is the common denominator during that time? Exactly.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:12 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:01 pm

Walsh regressed horribly under Priefer. Forbath was about the same. Bailey regressed.
But whatever. I'm not having a conversation if you are going to cop an attitude. I'm not in the mood.
I apologize for the attitude, it is just that stats tell us that coaching changes made no difference with those kickers, and with Forbath and Walsh, they actually had their best years with this coach.

I just get tired of hearing how Mike Preifer ruins kickers when the reality is the kickers just weren't very good to begin with.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

S197 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:13 pm

Walsh had a great rookie year and only got worse under Priefer the longer he stayed.

Forbath struggled with PATs.

Dan Bailey missed 7 FGs this year, more than any in his career and that was only in 13 games. He was also hurt last year, otherwise he was never a 70% kicker.

Then there's Carlson who went from 0-3 under Priefer to making every kick 7 games in a row.

Then there's Kluwe (who was openly vocal about Priefer's coaching techniques), Quigley, and Locke.
Walsh's second best year was in his fourth season, so it wasn't all downhill. His rookie year was an abnormality and he had a history of being up and down in college. His senior year he only made 60% of his kicks. 60. He also sucked in Seattle, so I guess they should fire their STs coach too.

Dan Bailey was available for a reason. He was on the decline since 2015 and I believe this is what he is now.

Carlson was here for one game. Come on man.

Kluwe was a clown who actually improved under Preifer's coaching. He cared more about video games and his causes than football. Look at how many teams wanted him after we cut him!
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Kickers :puke:
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

How can someone be wrong on almost everything they said?
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:53 pm

How can someone be wrong on almost everything they said?
The numbers don't lie. It is perception versus reality, and the reality is Preifer doesn't ruin kickers. The perception is that he does. The perception is that he is a bad ST coach, the reality is that his coverage and return units are very good.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I think more went on behind the scenes this season than we know. The Everson Griffen situation was a mess, and even if there is nothing left out of the 'official story' TM, it clearly took something out of the team. I suspect Griffen will never have his edge when he is on anti-psych meds, nor should he not be on them.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

fiestavike wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:30 am I think more went on behind the scenes this season than we know. The Everson Griffen situation was a mess, and even if there is nothing left out of the 'official story' TM, it clearly took something out of the team. I suspect Griffen will never have his edge when he is on anti-psych meds, nor should he not be on them.
Their leading tackler was out for this game. Their best run defending and cover CB, was out for this game.

With those two guys we only lose 13-10. Book it.