Mike Zimmer

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Mike Zimmer

Post by Mothman »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:25 pmIt is a Mike Zimmer isn't good enough at coaching defense thread from what I am reading. In a game where his defense gave up only 3 scoring drives despite being on the field nearly the entire game.
You realize that's primarily their fault, right?
I think what this thread is actually about, is people knowing this team isn't good enough, seeing the limited cap space, knowing that there is only so much you can do in the draft, and hoping that a coaching change can fix everything.
I can't speak for anyone else but I harbor no illusions that a coaching change will fix everything. I simply see a change of GM and HC as a necessity if the team is going to win a championship.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Mothman wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:37 pm

You realize that's primarily their fault, right?
Like on the 2nd Bears drive when they held them to a 3 and out? Only for the offense to go 3 and out again? They should have just kept that up and we only lose 7-0...
Mothman wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:37 pm
I can't speak for anyone else but I harbor no illusions that a coaching change will fix everything. I simply see a change of GM and HC as a necessity if the team is going to win a championship.
So you know the talent isn't good enough to win a SB, but still want the coach fired for not winning a SB with the talent he has?

Like I said in another thread, whether it is this year or the next, it doesn't really matter. He will be gone soon, he doesn't have a good enough team to coach, and the GM is untouchable, so Zim will be the sacrificial lamb. Might as well be this year, but people should be ready for this team to get worse, especially on D, and not better.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

For anyone watching SNF, Florio was asked by Tirico of any possible surprise firings that people may not be expecting and he hemmed and hawed before saying something to the effect that whether you call it firing, resigning or stepping down, people are "keeping an eye on the Vikings" situation.

PurpleMustReign I think brought it up, but I do get a sense that Zimmer is contemplating his role and whether or not he wants to continue.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:07 pm For anyone watching SNF, Florio was asked by Tirico of any possible surprise firings that people may not be expecting and he hemmed and hawed before saying something to the effect that whether you call it firing, resigning or stepping down, people are "keeping an eye on the Vikings" situation.

PurpleMustReign I think brought it up, but I do get a sense that Zimmer is contemplating his role and whether or not he wants to continue.
I brought it up a few weeks ago after the bye, but I think Texas Vike brought it up earlier. Thdt is interesting though, they have inside knowledge.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:52 pm So you know the talent isn't good enough to win a SB, but still want the coach fired for not winning a SB with the talent he has?

No. I don't think Zimmer should be fired for not winning a Super Bowl. I think they need to replace him because I don't believe he's a good enough head coach to win a Super Bowl, especially in tandem with Rick Spielman as GM. I think the latter has to be replaced for the Vikes to win it all and I think a new GM will inevitably want to hire his own head coach.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:07 pm For anyone watching SNF, Florio was asked by Tirico of any possible surprise firings that people may not be expecting and he hemmed and hawed before saying something to the effect that whether you call it firing, resigning or stepping down, people are "keeping an eye on the Vikings" situation.

I saw that. Interesting...
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Zimmer and Cousins are tied together now. They are very similar, Look back and see. Both do well and have some success against poor to mediocre teams , and both Melt under the pressure of Big games. Man we don't just loose big games against a good team we literally fall apart and loose royaly. Seems neither is capable inspiring the play of others. Neither can make or even try any game plan adjustments. Both are protypical, bland, vanilla 1950s-1970 Style offensive philosophy. Nothing modern about either one. Both are simply not Winners. Same goes for Speilman. Since as somebody already brought up the offense and defense is in it's prime and only has a 1-3 year window I suggest why try a new coach and GM. We've already seen what zimmer and Spielman can do which is not much.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Laserman wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:12 pm Zimmer and Cousins are tied together now. They are very similar, Look back and see. Both do well and have some success against poor to mediocre teams , and both Melt under the pressure of Big games. Man we don't just loose big games against a good team we literally fall apart and loose royaly. Seems neither is capable inspiring the play of others. Neither can make or even try any game plan adjustments. Both are protypical, bland, vanilla 1950s-1970 Style offensive philosophy. Nothing modern about either one. Both are simply not Winners. Same goes for Speilman. Since as somebody already brought up the offense and defense is in it's prime and only has a 1-3 year window I suggest why try a new coach and GM. We've already seen what zimmer and Spielman can do which is not much.
I don't know thst Zimmer is tied to Cousins as much as spielman is. I never got the impression thst Zimmer was as infatuated with Cousins as spielman was.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:16 pm
Laserman wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:12 pm Zimmer and Cousins are tied together now. They are very similar, Look back and see. Both do well and have some success against poor to mediocre teams , and both Melt under the pressure of Big games. Man we don't just loose big games against a good team we literally fall apart and loose royaly. Seems neither is capable inspiring the play of others. Neither can make or even try any game plan adjustments. Both are protypical, bland, vanilla 1950s-1970 Style offensive philosophy. Nothing modern about either one. Both are simply not Winners. Same goes for Speilman. Since as somebody already brought up the offense and defense is in it's prime and only has a 1-3 year window I suggest why try a new coach and GM. We've already seen what zimmer and Spielman can do which is not much.
I don't know thst Zimmer is tied to Cousins as much as spielman is. I never got the impression thst Zimmer was as infatuated with Cousins as spielman was.
This. Spielman tied to Cousins, but by extension, Zimmer's job hinges on Cousins.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:09 pm

It's getting more attention than I thought it would. I've was reading thst other teams should put Zimmer at the top of their list if he's fired, but I don't see I'm taking another job if this doesn't work out. I honestly believe he's burned out. He may go DC again, but not head coach.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Zimmer makes a lot of mistakes as a HC. He sucks at time management and throwing the red flags. He isnt involved enough with the offense, esp. since Ricky is involved heavily in the O. But I dont want to see Zimmer fired before Rick. If both Zimmer and Rick are fired, I would love for it to be ASAP. But Zimmer shouldnt take the fall for what a horrible job Rick has done since he came here.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:41 pm
Mothman wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:09 pm

It's getting more attention than I thought it would. I've was reading thst other teams should put Zimmer at the top of their list if he's fired, but I don't see I'm taking another job if this doesn't work out. I honestly believe he's burned out. He may go DC again, but not head coach.
Could be true. Also could be true he’s 100x more pissed than any fan is the way things went down. Maybe he’s only burnt out by the fact that he’s coaching for a team that thinks the o-line is equally important as the guys passing out programs on the concourse.

Like I said all speculation. But there’s about 1000 moving parts to every team and it’s rarely as simple as a guy just deciding he’s burned out.

If I was Zimmer I’d be a thousand times more frustrated than any of us on this board.
i'm ready for a beer.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

The fact that his daughter had to go on social media a while back to defend her Dad was what kind of started planting the seed with me that the job might be getting to him. Now, watching how things are going and seeing him on the sideline, you just get that sense...then again, you never really know. Wouldn't be surprised if Spielman is giving Zimmer time to think about things before resigning just as much as it wouldn't surprise me if comes back 10x more determined and expressing the need for players to be more accountable going forward.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

PacificNorseWest wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:57 pm The fact that his daughter had to go on social media a while back to defend her Dad was what kind of started planting the seed with me that the job might be getting to him. Now, watching how things are going and seeing him on the sideline, you just get that sense...then again, you never really know. Wouldn't be surprised if Spielman is giving Zimmer time to think about things before resigning just as much as it wouldn't surprise me if comes back 10x more determined and expressing the need for players to be more accountable going forward.
That and he asked key players if they think he lost the team. Doesn't exactly ooze confidence.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

This team has some undeniable young talent and is built with Zimmer’s vision in mind. I hope we give him one more year to attempt to execute it. He is better than Marvin Lewis. Marvin Lewis has not gotten his team to the AFC Championship game.