Now that the season is over ...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Now that the season is over ...

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Well, guys ... it's all over for 2018.

I have to say, this has been a disappointment all around. From the missed kicks against Green Bay (which cost us the playoffs in Week 2) to the awful performance against Buffalo to this latest take-a-dump against the Bears, I don't know if I've ever been as disappointed in a team as this one. I really thought we would be good. We just weren't.

And what a turnaround it was from last year, when it was pure joy until the NFC Championship Game. It was so much fun to watch this team last year. Every week this year felt like we left something on the field, even the games we won. The fact that we beat one team with a winning record, and that team ended up with a losing record, tells you all you need to know. Last year we beat the Rams, Atlanta, the Saints twice, all great teams. This year our signature win was ... Miami?

While I was extremely happy with the signing of Kirk Cousins, he ultimately ended up being a disappointment. John DeFilippo, who I thought would bring us into the modern age of offense, completely flopped. Our defense, so stout for several years now, let us down at the most critical times. Just really a downer of a season. Honestly, right now I feel a lot like I did after 2011 and 2013. It almost seems hopeless, especially with our cap situation. We either sign nobody, or we let some good players go. Maybe that's not a bad thing.

All of us know what the needs are. Offensive line is an absolute must. A seriously good offensive coordinator would really help. It's unlikely that Mike Zimmer is going anywhere, so I guess it's just time to regroup under his leadership.

Also guys, I'm going to take a break from the board. I love the exchanges here, but personally I just need a few months away. Sorry for any angst I caused. This was a difficult season for all of us. But you can't get rid of me ... I'll be back for the draft. Hopefully we get some help where we need it.

Have an awesome New Year, guys. See you in April.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Now that the season is over ...

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Good post Kapp. It was 2010 all over again. The main difference is I think our overall talent is much younger this season, so there is still a sliver of opportunity. They need to get an OL. If their first three picks are anything hut OL I will be livid.

Kapp, take care. I do enjoy your posts. Hopefully you don't stay away for too long.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Can they just give cousins the remaining 50 mil or whatever it is and just cut him?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Enjoy your break, Kapp. I understand the need to take one once in a while. We'll look forward to hearing from you at draft time (or sooner, if you can't stay away).

It should be an interesting offseason!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Boon wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:40 pm Can they just give cousins the remaining 50 mil or whatever it is and just cut him?
I wish, plus they'd lose that money in the cap.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Purplepain2018
Backup

Post by Purplepain2018 »

I tend to agree with most of what you said except one subject and that being Zimmer. In my opinion if this team wants to go to the next level the Wilfs must fire Mike Zimmer. In the biggest games, postseason, Zimmer doesn't have what it takes to win the big games. Last year in Philly, the NFC championship, a complete flop. This year we only beat one team with a winning record, Miami, and then they end up finishing at 7-9.

This team disappointed from week 2 of the season all through the rest of the year. We could not beat a legitimate playoff team for the entire season. I know hindsight is 20/20, but this offense last year had real chemistry with Case Keenum. It looks like $84 million does not buy a championship. The Vikings should have kept Case and used that $84 million to improve the offensive line, kicker, and other areas. Zimmer said after the Cousins signing that this decision will either keep him hired or get him fired. In my opinion, Zimmer and Spielman should be fired in that it has probable set this team back 3-4 years. The Vikings do not have a good young QB to groom because the $84 million dictates that Cousins has to play. The next two years look bleak with Cousins as QB!!!

Until the draft....
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I think everyone needs a break. I'm taking this well, but the time and energy we put into a team we have no control over can get exhausting when we continually receive similar, disappointing results.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

With all due respect to this board and vikes fans in general, I come to this board primarily for moth and Kapp. Always great insight, always respectful, even if I don’t always agree. But what a great post by Kapp.

Like all of you I’m very disappointed. In most aspects of this team I’ve been underwhelmed. But to have a home game and a win and in scenario this performance was a real let down. But there’s nothing I can say that all of you aren’t already thinking! I don’t wanna bash players and coaches but like I learned a long time ago, if you can’t say something nice....don’t say anything at all. So I’d be best not posting any farther right now! Lol.

Just something to keep in mind. And no, I don’t think it matters what is said on here in regards to this team. I don’t think they care about the board, I don’t think they care what we write. But they’re people. We’re people. There’s no one more pissed about this season than players and staff. We hurt, they hurt more. And before you vent all your frustration, pretend you have a kid on the team. Pretend the coach is your brother. Pretend these guys are one of your best friends. Pretend you ran into cousins at the mall. Would you bash them? Call them out to their face? Tell them how #### they are? Or would you be supportive? Look for the good? Be positive?

I’m not trying to be all sappy. But I come from a coaching family. I’ve seen the work that goes in at a collegiate level. I’ve mentioned before but I know Jared Allen personally as we both were involved in the big sky conference. I know the work that goes in and the stress these guys feel. This isn’t to say all is candy and rainbows. It’s not. We need a lot of work. But I find that if you imagine this team was close family or friends, you can find a way to be supportive even if you can think of major areas of improvement.

I rambled on too long. Our offseason begins now. I look forward to reading this board and I’m excited about the draft and our future. Keep your heads up vikes fans!

Skol!
i'm ready for a beer.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Disappointing season...Something just didn't seem right with the team this season. We got the whole offseason to discuss what went wrong.
Everyone have great New Year!
VikeFanInEagleLand
Transition Player

Post by VikeFanInEagleLand »

vikeinmontana wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:04 pm With all due respect to this board and vikes fans in general, I come to this board primarily for moth and Kapp.Skol!
No offense taken. LOL
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

VikeFanInEagleLand wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:32 pm
vikeinmontana wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:04 pm With all due respect to this board and vikes fans in general, I come to this board primarily for moth and Kapp.Skol!
No offense taken. LOL
:beerock:
i'm ready for a beer.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

Enjoy the break, Kapp. We look forward to having you back!
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:26 pm Well, guys ... it's all over for 2018.

I have to say, this has been a disappointment all around. From the missed kicks against Green Bay (which cost us the playoffs in Week 2) to the awful performance against Buffalo to this latest take-a-dump against the Bears, I don't know if I've ever been as disappointed in a team as this one. I really thought we would be good. We just weren't.
I'll just comment on the Buffalo game, because that was the first game where we saw how inept the offense was going to be. I at first thought that Buffalo just was more ready and came out with a chip on their shoulder in that game and the Vikings took it for granted given what had happened to Buffalo to start the season, but I couldn't have been more wrong about it. And that was a home game too. That offensive game wasn't about the Bills at all, any more than the game against the Seahawks was about the Seahawks, or the game against the Lions was about the Lions. All of the offensive performances by the Vikings in all of those games were about the Vikings themselves, plain and simple, and their complete lack of chemistry and inability to execute on offense. And most of that came down to the offensive line's inconsistent play coupled with an inability to run the ball and Cousin's relatively conservative personality. There were other factors, sure, but I think that trifecta is what ultimately led to the incredible lapses of offensive production we watched way too often this year.

Defensively, the team struggled as well, especially at key moments with a lethal cocktail of stupid, untimely penalties and just poor situational schemes. It didn't help that Griffen went AWOL for a stretch and came back half the player he had been before, nor did the wildly inconsistent play of key guys like Barr and Harrison Smith help, either. It was just a real roller coaster of performances on the defensive side of the ball, and for a group of mostly veteran players, incredibly disappointing to watch that level of performance repeat itself throughout the season, especially today in a game the Vikings simply had to have. Just as in the first game against the Bears, the Bear offensive players looked better prepared and far more motivated than their counterparts on the Vikings defense. It was stunning to watch the lack of player leadership on the defense, and watching the defensive players on the sideline as the camera panned over them showed exactly that. For most of them, this looked like a job they really didn't enjoy doing very much. I saw little evidence of frustration or anger or leadership among that group of players. At least the offensive guys were jawing at each other a little and someone was trying to right the ship. Someone else posted about the lack of a real difference maker on defense. Lots of good players, but nobody who was the clear leader. And that showed up again today. A bunch of individuals playing a team game, and none of them played it very well. For what the Vikings have invested in that group, that should be unacceptable, and while there will be justified calls for the replacement of several offensive positions, I think the defensive players need to be looked at closely too. Way too many guys out there punching the clock. Well, no need for any overtime this season guys - pass "Go" and collect your millions and go somewhere nice to watch the guys who really give a crap play now.

This team has some serious personnel issues. Maybe it was bad karma to ship Keenum after what he did for them last year, but the whole team just didn't look like it cared very much this season. And that kind of problem is going to be a LOT harder to fix than just finding a few missing pieces in the draft and FA.
V Vette
Practice Squad

Post by V Vette »

Cousins is the poison!!!! Fire who ever wanted him.. Please draft the entire Alabama OL and get another QB!!!