Bears vs. Vikings Pregame; Win and in

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Bears vs. Vikings Pregame; Win and in

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Let's get right to it...I am concerned with some these injuries for the Vikings given that they are heading into a do or die game against the Bears. Namely, Linval, Xavier and Kendricks. And I'm nervous how Kirk will perform in this must-win against Chicago's defense.

You can't take anything for granted here, which is why I'm concerned, but I do feel really good about Minnesota's chances on Sunday. Nagy can say all he wants that they are showing up to win, but as you've seen a few times the last couple of weeks (Ravens/Chargers, Seahawks/Chiefs), teams needing a win to clinch or stay alive for a playoff spot going up against a team that appears more superior and who already have their postseason reservation, usually results in a win for the team that NEEDS the win.

Minnesota's defense has been lights out the last 2 games and basically other than the first month or so of the season, looks like they did last season. The offense seems rejuvenated now that they are back to running the football. This team seems really close to putting it all together.

If Kirk plays efficiently and does not turn the ball over, I think the Vikings will win the game.

All of this is interesting because with a win, they probably face Chicago the very next week, which reminds me of 2012 when they beat the Packers in Minnesota to clinch a playoff spot and then had to travel to Green Bay the very next week in the playoffs. A game they lost with Joe Webb filling in for the injured Christian Ponder. Hoping the result would be different this time around, but the Vikings gotta make it there first.

Let's get it, Vikings!
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Bears vs. Vikings Pregame; Win and in

Post by Purple Domination »

Let’s get it! Hopefully we’ll be up by so much at half time we can rest our starters. :wink:
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

I must admit that I am really feeling more confident about this game than I really even believe I should.

I too am very concerned about our injuries on D. I want as many of our starters out there to do a better job and pressuring AND containing Trubisky than we did the last game.
I believe.. well I HOPE... that Zim takes the last performance into account and has a better game plan to execute against Trubisky and we dont let him tuck it and run all over us again. And I hope that the result that Harry gave him on his patented little half give up slide is stuck right in the forefront of his mind, and he is a little apprehensive. But the kid is a competitor and has heart so I really doubt that's the case.

Of course, that staunch Bears D , and the state of our O line still just scares the living crap outta me. I would feel alot better if they weren't so staunch against the run. It would be so great to get Cook and Murray going early to give Cousins some time to settle in and get the play action and deep passing game working . But unfortunately the Bears D are are so good at all 3 levels, and SO good at creating turnovers and really capitalize on them.
I dont know why, and hope I'm right, but I just have a feeling in my gut that Cousins is gonna take this day to start playing up to his hype.. and his salary.. and start the process of showing his doubters that he can indeed come through and win a big game. And this , a win and in, is def a big game.
I hope in a few days I'm right about this feeling and it happens. Other than our weak O line, we truly have the talent to be a team that truly could start a run to shock everyone. But all that talent needs to get it together and start playing to the potential that is sitting there just ready to be unleashed... DO YOU HEAR THAT COACHING STAFF??
Its time for this staff to put abram out by there that is ready to play from the opening kick off till the 00 hits the scoreboard. Please no more of this coming out flat and undisciplined. The D has been playing their #### off keeping us in games lately. The O is starting to be more balanced and showing some potential, but it's not been against elite Defenses.
I guess its gonna come down to How bad so we want it??
I hope we come out aggressive and start rolling right away and make a statement.
I wanna get into the dance by earning it. Just the way it should be done.
I'm not making any prediction. I just wanna see a team come together and start playing up to the potential we have with all the talent that we have on this roster.
Come on Vikes.. prove David Carr, Willie Mcginest, James " I still think I play for the Pukers" Jones, Shaun O Hara and all the other "experts" who kept saying yesterday that they don't believe the Vikes have a chance dead wrong. Make em eat crow and get it done.
Sorry if I rambled, but it's about 5 15 am and i have a bad case of the flu going around so I'm trying to occupy my time. Instead of getting ready to shower up and go climb a treestand for a Christmas break morning Whitetail nuisance tag bowhunt for a chance at some more venison for the freezer, I'm laying here wrapped in a blanket with the cold sweats watching NFL network. So I hope I'm making sense lol
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Here's what I'm looking for in the upcoming game:

- Be better on 1st and 2nd down against the Bear run game. In the earlier matchup, and in a lot of matchups against other teams, the Vikings defense has been giving up 4-5 yards rushing on those downs. That puts a team like Chicago in a 3rd down situation that is much more favorable for a running QB like Trubisky. Any defense wants opponents in 3rd-and-longer-than-7, but against the Bears, creating those situations consistently is going to make it much easier to neutralize the QB running threat without overly compromising anything else on defense on those downs.
- Along those lines, neutralize Trubisky as a runner. Obviously, 3rd downs are critical in this area, but don't let him easily escape. This comes down to a disciplined pass rush that cuts off running lanes and forces Trubisky backwards and to the side. The defense doesn't want him stepping up into the pocket where he can get past the rush and then dart forward. The Vikings showed they can do this in the 2nd half of the first game against the Bears where Trubisky was largely neutralized as a running threat. They have to do it the whole game this time.
- Offensively, Vikings have to find ways to move the ball on the ground. The Bears have played well all year against the run, but the Vikings have the offensive weapons to move the ball. They just have to stick with it and be more physical. This is a game where the offensive line has a chance to really step up and show they can get it done. A little late in the year for that maybe, but if this offense can run the ball, I can see them making a very deep run in the playoffs.
- Along those lines, this is also a game where Cousins needs to step up, and by step up, I mean he needs to demonstrate he can hurt the Bears in the middle and deep parts of the field. I thought he was way too conservative in the 1st game, and one time when he tried a deeper ball he got it picked and returned for 6. He's got to protect the ball, of course, but more than that, he's got to come out with some attitude and give the Bears something to worry about. Can't play afraid against this defense. They're going to come after him and try to jump routes and make him afraid. Whoever wins the "fear factor" between Cousins and the Bears defense is going to carry the day in that matchup. Time for Cousins to show what he can do to tilt that balance in the Vikings' favor.

Of course, Zimmer's squad needs a disciplined game. Keep the penalties down. Execute. Avoid the mistakes and the types of execution errors that have cost them in too many games this year. They need this game to advance to the playoffs. We should see that reflected in their overall energy level and focus on the field. Bears "need" it too, but not like the Vikings. Plus, the Vikings are at home. Thousands of fans will be doing that SKOL chant, stomping their feet, making noise for the home team. This is the last time the Vikings are going to have that advantage the rest of this season, so they need to soak it up and make the most of it.

Like Bowhunting Viking, I'm really hopeful this is the game we finally see the Vikings team we all thought we'd see the whole season. The team that is loaded with talent on both sides of the ball, that looks like a Superbowl contender, that strikes fear into the hearts of opposing teams.

No score prediction, but I'd love to see this offense lay 28+ on the Bears, especially if they have to play them the following week. The Bears defense has ridden high all year and it would be a huge blow to their confidence if the Vikings march on them like that.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

The Vikings are 7-0 at the Bank when I attend the game (8-2 at home when I attend games, 10-4 overall when I’m at a game). Naturally, I bought tickets to the game. Throwing all logic out and relying on my heart, I predict a win for the Vikes. Skol.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I posted this in the "missing piece" thread but I thought i'd share it here too:

I'm interested to see how the Bears will approach Sunday's game. It means everything to the Vikes. For Chicago, it's a chance to earn a first round bye so the stakes are relatively high but they need the Rams to lose. They know if they win they'll host the Vikes a week later so while I expect a sincere effort from the Bears, I'm thinking we may see a pretty vanilla game plan from them (at least as vanilla as Nagy gets).

There's also the interesting dynamic that if they lose, they get to host a familiar opponent they just played. If they win, they'll be more likely to host the defending NFC champs, who have won 4 of their last 5 and just beat two playoff teams. Under the circumstances, the Vikes are probably the more attractive playoff matchup from Chicago's point of view.

----------------------

I agree that the Vikes need to be solid against the run, especially on early downs. They definitely need to game plan to stop Trubisky from hurting them on the ground, Easier said than done but it needs to happen. They also better have a plan to slow down Tarik Cohen because that guy makes plays all over the field.

I think there's a good chance the Vikes win this one. They need it more, they're at home and I think Nagy will hold some things back for the following matchup. It seems likely to be a close game though so taking care of the ball is paramount. Turning the ball over could quickly kill the Vikings playoff chances.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I found it kind of interesting that yesterday morning the whole Good Morning football crew were all on the Bears winning the game , Cousins continuing his "Big Game" failures.. as they all kept going back and showing footage of his epic letdown loss with the Skins against the Giants in the final game of the season, this knocking the Skins out of the playoffs. Now all of a sudden this morning they kind of shifted their slant on the game. Now they all are leaning towards a slight Vikings win, citing Cousins experience and Trubisky's inexperience and the fact that we also have a very good Defense, coupled with the fact we are playing at home.
Found it interesting.
Like I said in a post before, if we get to Trubisky early and often, and dont allow him to escape the pocket and/or run on us or dump the ball off to Cohen I think we are set on D.
On O, if our line can just step up and overacheive and start getting Cook some decent runs, that can allow us to possibly get some play action, some screens to Cook and some underneath passes to Rudy and Theilen in the slot. Then hopefully that will open up a few deep shots to Diggs, AT or Robinson. Put some points up fairly quickly and let our D protect the lead.
With that said.. I know it's a tall order against the Bears D... and its proof that a high fever and medication can cause delusional and irrational ideas. Haha.
But I hope I suprise myself and look back Sunday evening and these illusions of grandeur have become prophetic. After all.. my last name is Proffitt.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Mothman wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:37 am I posted this in the "missing piece" thread but I thought i'd share it here too:

I'm interested to see how the Bears will approach Sunday's game. It means everything to the Vikes. For Chicago, it's a chance to earn a first round bye so the stakes are relatively high but they need the Rams to lose. They know if they win they'll host the Vikes a week later so while I expect a sincere effort from the Bears, I'm thinking we may see a pretty vanilla game plan from them (at least as vanilla as Nagy gets).

There's also the interesting dynamic that if they lose, they get to host a familiar opponent they just played. If they win, they'll be more likely to host the defending NFC champs, who have won 4 of their last 5 and just beat two playoff teams. Under the circumstances, the Vikes are probably the more attractive playoff matchup from Chicago's point of view.

----------------------

I agree that the Vikes need to be solid against the run, especially on early downs. They definitely need to game plan to stop Trubisky from hurting them on the ground, Easier said than done but it needs to happen. They also better have a plan to slow down Tarik Cohen because that guy makes plays all over the field.

I think there's a good chance the Vikes win this one. They need it more, they're at home and I think Nagy will hold some things back for the following matchup. It seems likely to be a close game though so taking care of the ball is paramount. Turning the ball over could quickly kill the Vikings playoff chances.
Having Barr back should help keep Trubiskey reigned in on the ground. I don't think he will hurt us too much with his arm and Zim's defense will confuse him. He is a first read QB, and all of the pre-snap trickery the Vikings do really hurt those types of QBs.

Agree that Nagy will not go all out to beat the Vikes with his game plan. That will come next week.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:37 pm I found it kind of interesting that yesterday morning the whole Good Morning football crew were all on the Bears winning the game , Cousins continuing his "Big Game" failures.. as they all kept going back and showing footage of his epic letdown loss with the Skins against the Giants in the final game of the season, this knocking the Skins out of the playoffs. Now all of a sudden this morning they kind of shifted their slant on the game. Now they all are leaning towards a slight Vikings win, citing Cousins experience and Trubisky's inexperience and the fact that we also have a very good Defense, coupled with the fact we are playing at home.
Found it interesting.
Like I said in a post before, if we get to Trubisky early and often, and dont allow him to escape the pocket and/or run on us or dump the ball off to Cohen I think we are set on D.
On O, if our line can just step up and overacheive and start getting Cook some decent runs, that can allow us to possibly get some play action, some screens to Cook and some underneath passes to Rudy and Theilen in the slot. Then hopefully that will open up a few deep shots to Diggs, AT or Robinson. Put some points up fairly quickly and let our D protect the lead.
With that said.. I know it's a tall order against the Bears D... and its proof that a high fever and medication can cause delusional and irrational ideas. Haha.
But I hope I suprise myself and look back Sunday evening and these illusions of grandeur have become prophetic. After all.. my last name is Proffitt.
I think there is a good chance we win this game and everything you said above happens. Motivation is huge even at this level, and the Bears have little, while we have a lot.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Has anyone heard any updates today on the injury front?
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Mothman wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:37 am I'm interested to see how the Bears will approach Sunday's game. It means everything to the Vikes. For Chicago, it's a chance to earn a first round bye so the stakes are relatively high but they need the Rams to lose. They know if they win they'll host the Vikes a week later so while I expect a sincere effort from the Bears, I'm thinking we may see a pretty vanilla game plan from them (at least as vanilla as Nagy gets).
Me too. If I were the Bears, I think I would use a vanilla gameplan, but outside of that do everything possible to win. That way you either (1) win without showing too much or (2) lose but still have an ace in the hole for next week. I think that's the closest to a win/win result that is possible. In my opinion, it would be hard to effectively execute contingency plans tied to what the score is in the Rams game.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:46 pm Has anyone heard any updates today on the injury front?
Per Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero on Twitter:
Rhodes returned to practice
Kendricks out today and likely out for Sunday
Sherels out today
Ham out today
Beebe out today

Glad to see Rhodes back. Kendricks worries me less since Wilson is playing well and hamstrings are not injuries to rush. Sherels worries me because we all know how important sure hands are on punt returns *vigorously knocks on wood*
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Mothman wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:37 am
I think they approach with intentions of not holding back from a standpoint of playing their starters, but as I alluded to in the original post, there's a different motivation factor when you're playing to better your seed than there is playing to just get in. It's hard to stay up for a game like that when you know it's still partly out of your control and you want to play your best in the playoffs and not week 17.

I think if Minnesota smacks them in the mouth early and often, I think the Bears will pull back the troops just wanting to get out of Minnesota healthy.

I just fear Kirk committing an early turnover (or really anyone for that matter) that gives Chicago early life. Trying to make a comeback against that defense isn't something I'm excited to see.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:44 pm
Bowhunting Viking wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:37 pm I found it kind of interesting that yesterday morning the whole Good Morning football crew were all on the Bears winning the game , Cousins continuing his "Big Game" failures.. as they all kept going back and showing footage of his epic letdown loss with the Skins against the Giants in the final game of the season, this knocking the Skins out of the playoffs. Now all of a sudden this morning they kind of shifted their slant on the game. Now they all are leaning towards a slight Vikings win, citing Cousins experience and Trubisky's inexperience and the fact that we also have a very good Defense, coupled with the fact we are playing at home.
Found it interesting.
I think there is a good chance we win this game and everything you said above happens. Motivation is huge even at this level, and the Bears have little, while we have a lot.
Hope we are both right on this ! SKOL
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Purple Domination wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:54 pm
PacificNorseWest wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:46 pm Has anyone heard any updates today on the injury front?
Per Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero on Twitter:
Rhodes returned to practice
Kendricks out today and likely out for Sunday
Sherels out today
Ham out today
Beebe out today

Glad to see Rhodes back. Kendricks worries me less since Wilson is playing well and hamstrings are not injuries to rush. Sherels worries me because we all know how important sure hands are on punt returns *vigorously knocks on wood*
Man, Beebe is always hurt. I think the talk of him being an answer at the #3 spot should be put on hold until he can stay healthy for more than a game.