Vikings Patriots post game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Vikings Patriots post game

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I don't understand how anyone can sit there and honestly say that they are ok with Mike Zimmer as the coach anymore. Do not give me the "we played in New England and the refs sucked" #### either. They again came out flat. They just saw the other three teams in the division lose, and are playing against arguably the most successful dynasty in the history of the NFL, and you can't get your players to come out with fire? You can't get your coaching staff to come up with a better game plan than what they did today.
This is a travesty frkm top to bottom. I just don't know how anyone can justify Mike Zimmer anymore.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PatsFanInPeace
Practice Squad

Re: Vikings Patriots post game

Post by PatsFanInPeace »

Good game. I thought Minny played a good road game in the first half, but I was not impressed with the immaturity of Thielen and others. They spent more time rehearsing a TD celebration after being dominated, than caring about what it took to try to get ahead.

Thielen might want not to be peacocking on the sideline after an easy 5 yard TD catch and then jawing at the greatest GM and Coach in sports history after a ridiculously bad spot call on a clear stone job on 4th down.

No offense, but your team needs to not read its press clippings. Get rid of immature Sheldon Richardson, too.

Pats D, as per usual, is wildly underrated because the NFL stats base everything on yards allowed as opposed to WHEN you make plays.

See you in 4 years in Minnesota.
Fran the Man
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Fran the Man »

I just don't know what to think. I know most of us thought we had a SB team brewing before the season started. I sure did. That's pretty much over with. You're right, the team as a whole doesn't have any fire to them. Not digging Coach Flip much but as far as Zimmer goes, it wasn't until today that I actually wondered if we have the right guy. Terribly disappointing season.
Don't pick a fight with an old Viking. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Something positive: Anthony Harris is turning into a legit safety. I like his game and what he has done. I'm guessing Sendejo won't be back but Harris has really turned into a reliable player.
I do have a question though... What happened to Iloka?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

PatsFanInPeace wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:11 pm Good game. I thought Minny played a good road game in the first half, but I was not impressed with the immaturity of Thielen and others. They spent more time rehearsing a TD celebration after being dominated, than caring about what it took to try to get ahead.

Thielen might want not to be peacocking on the sideline after an easy 5 yard TD catch and then jawing at the greatest GM and Coach in sports history after a ridiculously bad spot call on a clear stone job on 4th down.

No offense, but your team needs to not read its press clippings. Get rid of immature Sheldon Richardson, too.

Pats D, as per usual, is wildly underrated because the NFL stats base everything on yards allowed as opposed to WHEN you make plays.

See you in 4 years in Minnesota.
I agree about Thielen and the celebration. I was very disappointed in that. The Vikings were outclassed in a big way.
And I also agree with your point about the pats defense. Stats are great but you could hold a team to 75 yards on a day, but if 70.of those yards ckme on a last second TD drive, you could still lose the game.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

That was an embarrassment. We once again got beat be a 'winning' team. Zimmer was out coached, the entire team was out coached. I think the blame falls on Zimmer, Flip, Pfeiffer, and Rick. We pay a QB a billion dollars and dont give him at least an average Oline? Our D isnt that good, certainly no good enough to give us wins against good teams. What an entirely waste of a season. Im so pissed I think I will just leave it at this for the moment.
MegatronFozzy
Waterboy

Post by MegatronFozzy »

What this game shows is the standard between a team and its’ dynasty for more than a decade and a team (with elite potential) that still tries to find its own identity.

MIN needs this standard especially given our talented defense. New coaching? Definitely offensive line.

We need to find that identity.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 pm I don't understand how anyone can sit there and honestly say that they are ok with Mike Zimmer as the coach anymore. Do not give me the "we played in New England and the refs sucked" #### either. They again came out flat. They just saw the other three teams in the division lose, and are playing against arguably the most successful dynasty in the history of the NFL, and you can't get your players to come out with fire? You can't get your coaching staff to come up with a better game plan than what they did today.
This is a travesty frkm top to bottom. I just don't know how anyone can justify Mike Zimmer anymore.
The outcome was as predictable as the slant to Treadwell on 4th and 11 that picked up about 1/2 the necessary yardage. Put Mike Zimmer's Vikings up against a similarly talented, well-coached team and more often than not, it seems to end in a loss. Put them up against Belichick's Pats on the road, where few teams ever win, and the odds of a win were slim indeed.

Zimmer is Childress in a DC's clothing and without the latter's alienating personality. He's Marvin Lewis. He's Dennis Green. He's that solid head coach with an approach good enough to get wins and build hope but not to win championships. To his credit, his 2019 Vikings overachieved. His 2018 Vikes are mediocre. Neither he or Spielman should be with the team in 2019, although they'll almost certainly be around.

Over almost 5 years, we've seen what Zimmer has to offer and it's more of the same good-but-not-good-enough football the Vikes have been playing for decades.

This game isn't the reason to replace Zimmer. This season isn't either. It's just that he's shown us he's not the guy to finally get the Vikes the Lombardo trophy and neither is Rick Spielman.

Meanwhile, despite the loss, there were some bright spots today. Cook played well. As you pointed out, Harris is developing into a good player.

On to Seattle, where it's going to be awfully tough for the Vikes to avoid dropping to .500.
Bigwehrm
Starter

Post by Bigwehrm »

Is Zimmer a big drinker? He always has that red nose and face look of drunks.
Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

It seems the vikes did have a personality in zimmers earlier days they played solid defense and predictable offense when they scored they handed the ball to thr ref and acted like they had been there before. They need a new o coordinator flip is terrible maybe with some time hell be better but he is clearly over matched. O line coaching and special teams need major up grades as well as d line coach. As beings I'm complaining I hate preplanned td celebrations color rush uniforms and the game day chat thing.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Mothman wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:43 pm
PurpleMustReign wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:01 pm I don't understand how anyone can sit there and honestly say that they are ok with Mike Zimmer as the coach anymore. Do not give me the "we played in New England and the refs sucked" #### either. They again came out flat. They just saw the other three teams in the division lose, and are playing against arguably the most successful dynasty in the history of the NFL, and you can't get your players to come out with fire? You can't get your coaching staff to come up with a better game plan than what they did today.
The outcome was as predictable as the slant to Treadwell on 4th and 11 that picked up about 1/2 the necessary yardage. Put Mike Zimmer's Vikings up against a similarly talented, well-coached team and more often than not, it seems to end in a loss. Put them up against Belichick's Pats on the road, where few teams ever win, and the odds of a win were slim indeed.

Zimmer is Childress in a DC's clothing and without the latter's alienating personality. He's Marvin Lewis. He's Dennis Green. He's that solid head coach with an approach good enough to get wins and build hope but not to win championships. To his credit, his 2019 Vikings overachieved. His 2018 Vikes are mediocre. Neither he or Spielman should be with the team in 2019, although they'll almost certainly be around.

Over almost 5 years, we've seen what Zimmer has to offer and it's more of the same good-but-not-good-enough football the Vikes have been playing for decades.

This game isn't the reason to replace Zimmer. This season isn't either. It's just that he's shown us he's not the guy to finally get the Vikes the Lombardo trophy and neither is Rick Spielman.

Meanwhile, despite the loss, there were some bright spots today. Cook played well. As you pointed out, Harris is developing into a good player.

On to Seattle, where it's going to be awfully tough for the Vikes to avoid dropping to .500.
In Zim's 5 seasons, he has had his QB remain healthy all season just twice(knock on wood about this season). In that time he has one the division twice, was a chip shot field goal away from the divisional round, and made it to the NFC Championship game. It is not like he took over a team that was super good either, they were bad before he got here.

I don't think Zim is the problem and do feel that if we fire him we will end up with a coach who is significantly worse than he is.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

I think the big problem is the O-line. DeFlippo tries to do too much to disguise his plays.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
Bruce Lee.

They need to stop trying to disguise the offense so much and practice the basic blocking for running the damn ball.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Very disappointing loss where was the energy and enthusiasm...
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Raptorman wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:18 pm I think the big problem is the O-line. DeFlippo tries to do too much to disguise his plays.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
Bruce Lee.

They need to stop trying to disguise the offense so much and practice the basic blocking for running the damn ball.
Amen.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Just because they look lost half the time, doesnt mean they are trying to disguise a play.