O' Neill's best spot longterm

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: O' Neill's best spot longterm

Post by Purple Domination »

halfgiz wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:09 am My thoughts are we aren't going to want to pay Remmer's tackle money playing guard. Is Remmers willing to take less pay?

What becomes of Easton next season? Do we let him walk?
I agree with you on Remmers, but I don't know that he was enough of a world beater at tackle that anyone else will pay him tackle money either. I could be wrong on that, but just my thoughts.

I think what we do with Easton will depend greatly on how we address the OL in the upcoming draft and how he fits in with the cap. No doubt we will have some cap casualties in the coming years. He is not regarded as an elite guard, but I personally would be happy to keep him.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:27 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:10 pm

Det is a very poor DLine team this season. Had a guy playing that they jut traded for (one that offers almost nothing via pass rush) and Ziggy just coming back from injury/ still injured. We won't be playing Det if we make playoffs and we need to compare our Oline performance against better competition. I hate when we use their performance against bad teams to justify "grand improvements"
Dude, is there anything you don't argue?

Nobody said anything about grand improvements. Just that the O-line played a good game, and Mike Remmers had his best game as a Viking. That's all. Would it be OK with you if I said that? If not, let me know, and I'll resign my position on the board.

And for the record, that "guy they just traded for who offers nothing"? PFF had Damon Harrison rated at 90.0, one of the top D-line performances of the week. But y'know, facts are overrated. In fact, I hate it when we use them.
What's not ok is the fact that you feel the need to bend my words. I said he offers nothing as a pass rusher. That was one of the knocks on him. Resign your position if you want, I really can care less. I'm about discussing things as calmly as possible and tone is anything but that. Not sure why you feel the need to respond to my post in a condescending manner. My post was simply a lets not get carried away and consider the context of who we played.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:29 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:27 pm
Dude, is there anything you don't argue?

Nobody said anything about grand improvements. Just that the O-line played a good game, and Mike Remmers had his best game as a Viking. That's all. Would it be OK with you if I said that? If not, let me know, and I'll resign my position on the board.

And for the record, that "guy they just traded for who offers nothing"? PFF had Damon Harrison rated at 90.0, one of the top D-line performances of the week. But y'know, facts are overrated. In fact, I hate it when we use them.
What's not ok is the fact that you feel the need to bend my words. I said he offers nothing as a pass rusher. That was one of the knocks on him. Resign your position if you want, I really can care less. I'm about discussing things as calmly as possible and tone is anything but that. Not sure why you feel the need to respond to my post in a condescending manner. My post was simply a lets not get carried away and consider the context of who we played.
My tone is based on the simple fact that every post you make turns into an "I'm smarter than you" argument. Doesn't matter what the topic is, you argue everything and with everyone. Talk about a condescending tone.

If I took liberties with your words, it's only because you took liberties with mine. I never said anything about "grand improvements," yet there is was in your post. And it doesn't help when you twist things, such as the way you described Harrison's abilities and play. To say "he offers nothing" in ANY context, given the game that guy played Sunday, is woefully uninformed at best and intentionally misleading at worst. He played the best game of any of Detroit's D-linemen, and among the best of any D-lineman in the NFL.

Also, our O-line, while not the second coming of The Hogs, IS improving. After 5 games, we were last in the league in rushing, and had no rushing TDs. Four games later, we're 24th in yards, 18th in yards per attempt, and 14th in rushing TDs. Again, not great, but nowhere near the worst. We're also 13th best in lowest sack percentage, which I will admit is also a credit to Kirk Cousins. The point is, we're not the historically bad offensive line that you've implied throughout the season.

Getting back to the point of this thread ... at the risk of a correlation/causation logical fallacy, I'd say that at least some of that improvement could be credited to Brian O'Neill finding his way into the starting lineup. My recollection is that you weren't exactly a fan of drafting him. Am I wrong?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Yikes!
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:15 am
My tone is based on the simple fact that every post you make turns into an "I'm smarter than you" argument. Doesn't matter what the topic is, you argue everything and with everyone. Talk about a condescending tone.
Hello Mr. Pot, you are black.
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:15 am And it doesn't help when you twist things, such as the way you described Harrison's abilities and play. To say "he offers nothing" in ANY context, given the game that guy played Sunday, is woefully uninformed at best and intentionally misleading at worst. He played the best game of any of Detroit's D-linemen, and among the best of any D-lineman in the NFL.
"one that offers almost nothing via pass rush"
Holy reading comprehension Batman!!!
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:15 am Also, our O-line, while not the second coming of The Hogs, IS improving. After 5 games, we were last in the league in rushing, and had no rushing TDs. Four games later, we're 24th in yards, 18th in yards per attempt, and 14th in rushing TDs. Again, not great, but nowhere near the worst. We're also 13th best in lowest sack percentage, which I will admit is also a credit to Kirk Cousins. The point is, we're not the historically bad offensive line that you've implied throughout the season.
I said we would be bad and needed to improve. I then made a thread saying changes were needed because I didn't feel like out best players were playing in the best positions. Guess when we started to see improvement (when several of the guys were replaced. We moved pieces around and instead of getting worse with backups, we improved :rofl:. That's kind of proving my point.
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:15 am Getting back to the point of this thread ... at the risk of a correlation/causation logical fallacy, I'd say that at least some of that improvement could be credited to Brian O'Neill finding his way into the starting lineup. My recollection is that you weren't exactly a fan of drafting him. Am I wrong?
I always maintained that I didn't hate the pick, I hated the fact that we didn't address the oline in the first and with a guard. My logic is/was, we were better served with an improved guard and moving Remmers back to RT where he was above average last season. Now we have an above average RT and a below average guard.

Also, I love the attempt to undermine my point on Oniel when even the front office didn't expect Oniel to play well this season because he was buried on the depth chart until he was forced into action and it still took many games of clearly outplaying Hill to move him into a starting role. If Oniel was what this front office thought he was, he would be riding the pine this season, a position that a team with a horrible oline cannot afford. Lets not pretend this FO's Oline plan is working. They tripped into this "improvement" that has been bolstered by playing bad Jets, Cardinals, Saints and Lions defenses.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

It's a little early to tell but I am
thinking RT, we still need more
depth and upgrade at LG for sure.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Anyone still think Reiff should be LT next year after last night?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Can we just clone oniell and Elflein?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:55 am Anyone still think Reiff should be LT next year after last night?
Anyone still think Reiff should be employed next weekend after last night?
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

akvikingsfan wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:44 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:55 am Anyone still think Reiff should be LT next year after last night?
I heard he was going to get a job with a subway system.

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

akvikingsfan wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:44 am
I think last night we was missing Morgan a lot. He's an underrated player.