O' Neill's best spot longterm

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

O' Neill's best spot longterm

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I'm curious how many view him as the LT long-term and how many think he's better suited on the right side. He's been pretty good so far although he does struggle with bullrushes in my opinion another off-season in the strength and conditioning program could go a long way to rectifying that. I think if they view him as a long-term answer at left tackle they might as well put him there now.
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: O' Neill's best spot longterm

Post by dead_poet »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:07 pm I'm curious how many view him as the LT long-term and how many think he's better suited on the right side. He's been pretty good so far although he does struggle with bulrushes in my opinion another off-season in the strength and conditioning program could go a long way to rectifying that. I think if they view him as a long-term answer at left tackle they might as well put him there now.
Reiff is signed through 2021 (he'll be 31/32). I think the team likes him at LT. I doubt they switch the two. O'Neil probably gets first shot at replacing him when his contract is up, though. Assuming he plays well enough.

He's out going to get stronger with an NFL off-season and putting on weight. He's been far ahead of expectations.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

dead_poet wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:28 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:07 pm I'm curious how many view him as the LT long-term and how many think he's better suited on the right side. He's been pretty good so far although he does struggle with bulrushes in my opinion another off-season in the strength and conditioning program could go a long way to rectifying that. I think if they view him as a long-term answer at left tackle they might as well put him there now.
Reiff is signed through 2021 (he'll be 31/32). I think the team likes him at LT. I doubt they switch the two. O'Neil probably gets first shot at replacing him when his contract is up, though. Assuming he plays well enough.

He's out going to get stronger with an NFL off-season and putting on weight. He's been far ahead of expectations.
Do you like Reiff at LT? I think he is decent but I would like him a lot more on the right side. If we were really spoiled maybe even pl at him inside.
mael·strom

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:24 pm
dead_poet wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:28 pm

Do you like Reiff at LT? I think he is decent but I would like him a lot more on the right side. If we were really spoiled maybe even pl at him inside.
I do. When he's healthy. I just don't see enough of a benefit to switch. If anything, Reiff (last year, when healthy) performed better at LT than he did in Detroit at RT. I feel like he's better over there. I wouldn't move him inside. Remmers is a better tackle and he's playing guard (poorly). A lot could depend on the talent we bring in this off-season.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Reiff's worst seasons in DET were at RT. His natural position is LT. Vikings would be very stupid to move him unless something has changed in practice to make them think that his previous stint at RT wouldn't be repeated.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

I expect either Reiff or Remmer to be gone next season as a cap hit. My money is on Remmers. I think Oniel would be better served on the LT side because the weight of RDEs are typically lower than your LDE. He has been fantastic at RT. I thought he would get pushed around a lot more than he has. Another year of strength building (lower) and he should be a lock down RT.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Why do people want O'Neill on the LT spot when Reiff sucks at RT?

Where is the logic in this?
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:35 pm Why do people want O'Neill on the LT spot when Reiff sucks at RT?

He sucked at tackle in DET scheme. Not the same thing as our scheme. Also, perhaps we let him go if we are able to draft a stellar RT. Save about 7 million on him and 5 million on Remmers.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:06 pm
Rhodes Closed wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:35 pm Why do people want O'Neill on the LT spot when Reiff sucks at RT?

He sucked at tackle in DET scheme. Not the same thing as our scheme. Also, perhaps we let him go if we are able to draft a stellar RT. Save about 7 million on him and 5 million on Remmers.
Who would you draft that's a for sure bet to be better than Reiff right now?
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Rhodes Closed wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:29 pm

They may not be better but give us the same production for about 1 million a year. I have several with potential.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

YikesVikes wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:26 am

They may not be better but give us the same production for about 1 million a year. I have several with potential.
Mind you I said "For Sure" in that statement. Are any of these for sure not going to become Matt Kalil?
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

No one is a for sure bet in the NFL draft. What we do know for sure is that Reiff is just barely adequate at best and will never be Orlando Pace. Reiff graded 48 last year on PFF and this was in a Shurmur scheme that called for a lot of quick passes.

In fact, according to PFF Reiff graded 70 at RT in Detroit and 48 (poor) in his first year at LT here. Even Matt Kalil graded higher last year. So I think there is a reasonable debate to be had about O' Neill moving to the left side and Reiff either being cut or moved to the right.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyn ... nd-overall
mael·strom

S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I've very much done with PFF ratings, they've gone from suspect to downright laughable. Don't believe me? See where they rank Hunter amongst pass rushers.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

For those calling for Reiff to be cut, i have a question: Who is the best OL on the team? Who is #2? Who is #3?

My guess is that Reiff and Elflein will share the top two spots quite consistently if everyone on this board answers the above. So what I have trouble squaring is on a team where the obvious weakness is the OL, WHY (!?!?!) would they want to cut one of their two best players? Especially if that guy is the Left Tackle? I just don't see it. Sorry.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

S197 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:01 pm I've very much done with PFF ratings, they've gone from suspect to downright laughable. Don't believe me? See where they rank Hunter amongst pass rushers.
AMEN to this. It annoys the crap out of me that Collinsworth continues to plug them on SNF also. Who cares where a guy is rated on PFF. I love that Zimmer called out this malarchy for what it is so long ago.