Kirk Cousins is having an MVP season

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

veryoldschool
Waterboy

Re: Kirk Cousin is having an MVP season

Post by veryoldschool »

808vikingsfan wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:42 pm Don't buy it, not yet anyway. There are probably 5 or more QBs that are doing better than Cousins. Mahomes, Brees, Goff, Rivers just off the top of my head.

As it relates to golf, I see Cousins as someone who can drive the ball well, hit his irons well, but misses half of his 4 foot and under putts. Good driving stats, good GIR stats, but when it comes down to what matters, he's 50/50 at best.

Don't forget his 7 fumbles and 15+ batted balls which are wasted downs that put the team in poor down and distance situations.
Haters gotta hate it is what the do...
The negotiator
Backup

Post by The negotiator »

Old school, I read your posts from ES for six years. You and about six others understand the game and can evaluate talent.
9man
Transition Player

Post by 9man »

808vikingsfan wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:45 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:12 pm

Case has been really good this year. I bet Denver is happy they didn't get Kirk. :thumbsup:
On the flip side, I don't think Washington is missing Kirk at all.

Alex Smith has already given the Redskins a boost Kirk Cousins could never provide
To be fair, that article is from September 13th and discusses how well the Redskins ran the ball against the Cardinals. The Cards have one of the worst run defenses in the league.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I think the line was bad last year too but keenum is much better at scrambling and it helped him immensely. I just don't see cousins as mobile as keenum.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:36 pm I think the line was bad last year too but keenum is much better at scrambling and it helped him immensely. I just don't see cousins as mobile as keenum.
Pocket awareness and mobility are Keenums only advantages over Cousins. The QB shouldn't have to constantly avoid pressure and run for his life though.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:36 pm I think the line was bad last year too but keenum is much better at scrambling and it helped him immensely. I just don't see cousins as mobile as keenum.
I think Kennum was only sacked 7 times through 8 games last season. Remmers was playing out of his mind.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Cousins has been solid, as I expected he would be, but I don't think he should be in discussion for league MVP.

Keenum's pocket awareness and scrambling abilities did a better job of covering up our OL deficiencies, but pound for pound Kirk is a significant upgrade as most of us on the board had anticipated he would be. Thinking ahead to Thanksgiving: I'm very thankful that we have him on our team. Now we need to finally address the OL. It is the Achilles heal of this team and it's a glaring weakness.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:45 pm
Pocket awareness and mobility are Keenums only advantages over Cousins. The QB shouldn't have to constantly avoid pressure and run for his life though.
Having those two skills are HUGE though. Takes pressure off the OL , slows down the pass rush, extends plays, would make RPO more effective. All these would help the offense in the redzone (IMO). Taking care of the ball was another advantage Keenum had. He only fumbled once in 2017. Cousins has 7 already this year and 29 since 2016.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

One of the knocks on Kirk Cousins when we were evaluating him as fans was his win loss record. At the time I thought it was ridiculous to pin that solely on the QB and I still do. But it is a sad irony that half way through the season we are about .500 and the Redskins are 3 games above .500 :confused:

I am not unhappy about our decision, though. Kirk seems like he’s the real deal if we can just put it all together (*ahem* offensive line). If nothing else, it is fun to watch a pass first offense again.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Cousins isn’t the MVP on this team, let alone in the league. You put 20 other starting QBs with Theilen and Diggs to throw too, and we would have 4 wins. The impact a player has on his team’s success versus his replacement should be the only factor in MVP consideration, not raw production out of context.

Seattle for example, might have a single win without Wilson as their QB with how bad that line is. HE is having an MVP-like season, regardless of how many passing yards he has.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

808vikingsfan wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:54 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:45 pm

Having those two skills are HUGE though. Takes pressure off the OL , slows down the pass rush, extends plays, would make RPO more effective. All these would help the offense in the redzone (IMO). Taking care of the ball was another advantage Keenum had. He only fumbled once in 2017. Cousins has 7 already this year and 29 since 2016.
How man ints does Case have this season?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

808vikingsfan wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:42 pm

Don't forget his 7 fumbles and 15+ batted balls which are wasted downs that put the team in poor down and distance situations.
....which is going to probably happen more often then not when you're the most pressured QB in the NFL.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

StumpHunter wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:03 am Cousins isn’t the MVP on this team, let alone in the league. You put 20 other starting QBs with Theilen and Diggs to throw too, and we would have 4 wins. The impact a player has on his team’s success versus his replacement should be the only factor in MVP consideration, not raw production out of context.

Seattle for example, might have a single win without Wilson as their QB with how bad that line is. HE is having an MVP-like season, regardless of how many passing yards he has.
No. Thielen and Diggs are a big part of it but at the same time, you have to be on the same page with these guys, have a report, timing, etc. It's not like handing the ball off to Adrian Peterson. You have to know how these guys play and where and when to throw them the ball. There is a lot more that goes into it than you're leading on.

Let me get this straight...Seattle might not have a win if it wasnt for Wilson? And he is having an MVP season? Our offensive line is just as bad as Seattles right now. But since he doesnt have Thielen and Diggs, he's having an MVP season? Come on. I'm already getting sick of the media and how they're already bashing Cousins. Now we're going to have fans that say "well he's only doing well because of Thielen and Diggs"?? Come on man. Bottom line is, he's a top 10 QB in the league. No matter what way you look at it. Good WRs or bad WRs doesnt matter.

Give the credit where credit is due. Yeah Thielen and Diggs deserve a ton but so does Kirk Cousins.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Purple Domination wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:09 pm One of the knocks on Kirk Cousins when we were evaluating him as fans was his win loss record. At the time I thought it was ridiculous to pin that solely on the QB and I still do. But it is a sad irony that half way through the season we are about .500 and the Redskins are 3 games above .500 :confused:

I am not unhappy about our decision, though. Kirk seems like he’s the real deal if we can just put it all together (*ahem* offensive line). If nothing else, it is fun to watch a pass first offense again.
I dont plant win loss on the QB. Especially in this situation. It's a team game. Washington currently has the 4th TOTAL defense in the NFL and the 8th best rushing attack. When Kirk was there, they had the 31st, 28th and 28th total defense in his 3 years as a starter. And the 28th, 21st and 20th best rushing attacks in the NFL. Key is, Washington improved in other areas. Something they never did when Cousins was there. BIG DIFFERENCE
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:44 am
Purple Domination wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:09 pm One of the knocks on Kirk Cousins when we were evaluating him as fans was his win loss record. At the time I thought it was ridiculous to pin that solely on the QB and I still do. But it is a sad irony that half way through the season we are about .500 and the Redskins are 3 games above .500 :confused:

I dont plant win loss on the QB. Especially in this situation. It's a team game. Washington currently has the 4th TOTAL defense in the NFL and the 8th best rushing attack. When Kirk was there, they had the 31st, 28th and 28th total defense in his 3 years as a starter. And the 28th, 21st and 20th best rushing attacks in the NFL. Key is, Washington improved in other areas. Something they never did when Cousins was there. BIG DIFFERENCE
Washington is giving up more points per drive this year than last. They are just on the field less so are giving up fewer pts per game.