Kirk Cousins is having an MVP season

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Kirk Cousins is having an MVP season

Post by YikesVikes »

Outside of two games this season (Jets and Bills) this guy has been incredible. He has 4 ints on the season, 3 weren't his fault. He's the most pressured Qb, has the 2nd best rating when pressured and most yards. Yet the nation media is killing him with idiotic articles and absolutly blaming him and his contract. Let's ignore that we presently have a winning record
The negotiator
Backup

Re: Kirk Cousin is having an MVP season

Post by The negotiator »

Agreed. He has been lights out in the face of incredible pressure. Hoping the patchwork O line can keep him upright. He’s taken a lot of hits. IMO
We have to run the ball more and please, flip, can we be a little more creative with our play calling ( let’s try a screen, a reverse? The flea flicker worked. Just mix a few in now and then to keep the opposing D a little off balance.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

He is a franchise quarterback and was well worth 84 million dollars. However, they must figure out a way to protect him better. It's on the coaching staff to prevent him from getting hit. I really just hope he can make it the rest of the season without a catastrophic injury or battered quarterback syndrome. if they don't invest all of their resources this offseason into improving the blocking then I don't know what to say. pass blocking is more important than run blocking in my opinion but the Vikings are doing neither well.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

So was Keenum in this offense.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

StumpHunter wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:05 pm So was Keenum in this offense.
Case has been really good this year. I bet Denver is happy they didn't get Kirk. :thumbsup:
mael·strom

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Don't buy it, not yet anyway. There are probably 5 or more QBs that are doing better than Cousins. Mahomes, Brees, Goff, Rivers just off the top of my head.

As it relates to golf, I see Cousins as someone who can drive the ball well, hit his irons well, but misses half of his 4 foot and under putts. Good driving stats, good GIR stats, but when it comes down to what matters, he's 50/50 at best.

Don't forget his 7 fumbles and 15+ batted balls which are wasted downs that put the team in poor down and distance situations.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Why does he keep having balls batted at the line?
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:12 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:05 pm So was Keenum in this offense.
Case has been really good this year. I bet Denver is happy they didn't get Kirk. :thumbsup:
On the flip side, I don't think Washington is missing Kirk at all.

Alex Smith has already given the Redskins a boost Kirk Cousins could never provide
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

720pete wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:45 pm Why does he keep having balls batted at the line?
He pats the ball right before he throws, every single time.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

808vikingsfan wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:42 pm Don't buy it, not yet anyway. There are probably 5 or more QBs that are doing better than Cousins. Mahomes, Brees, Goff, Rivers just off the top of my head.

As it relates to golf, I see Cousins as someone who can drive the ball well, hit his irons well, but misses half of his 4 foot and under putts. Good driving stats, good GIR stats, but when it comes down to what matters, he's 50/50 at best.

Don't forget his 7 fumbles and 15+ batted balls which are wasted downs that put the team in poor down and distance situations.
ok you can make that argument, and most of those guys also have a helluva lit better lined, and less shuffling of the line positions. Considering the pressure the guy us constantly under I think hes going a great job and is dropping some dimes when he knows hes gonna get blasted. And I don't care how great Erin is, I think he is a freakin whiner who wants a PI, holding or roughing the passer on every play and I cant stand watching him. Goff.. kids amazing and a great future. Brees.. future HOFer and terrific human being as well. I'm glad we have Cousins.. VERY GLAD. And let me add this, his starting center for 3 of his 4 yrs in Wash is from my small home town. His brother is my boss. He has nothing but great things to say about Cousins. Did not talk highly at all about RG3. He said is a great QB, a great leader, tougher than given credit for and a superb human being and a great man. That comes straight from the mouth of his starting Center. So fir what its worth, I'm glad Cousins is in the purple and Gold
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

808vikingsfan wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:45 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:12 pm

On the flip side, I don't think Washington is missing Kirk at all.

Alex Smith has already given the Redskins a boost Kirk Cousins could never provide
I'll take Kirk. How long did Smith go without getting any of his WRs a touchdown in KC?
mael·strom

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Never said that he is THE MVP but that his season was MVP like. To be honest, I'm not sure about the Cousins hate. This guy is a major upgrade to every QB we have had in the past 10 years. Our line is trash and he keeps us in it. He had an opposing defender get 13 pressures in one game, twice. Don't like the batted passes? Tell your Oline to keep from getting driven back.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:17 pm Never said that he is THE MVP but that his season was MVP like. To be honest, I'm not sure about the Cousins hate. This guy is a major upgrade to every QB we have had in the past 10 years. Our line is trash and he keeps us in it. He had an opposing defender get 13 pressures in one game, twice. Don't like the batted passes? Tell your Oline to keep from getting driven back.
C'mon man you know this team would be better with less money invested in the QB position. Tarvaris Jackson where art thou?
mael·strom

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:17 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:17 pm Never said that he is THE MVP but that his season was MVP like. To be honest, I'm not sure about the Cousins hate. This guy is a major upgrade to every QB we have had in the past 10 years. Our line is trash and he keeps us in it. He had an opposing defender get 13 pressures in one game, twice. Don't like the batted passes? Tell your Oline to keep from getting driven back.
C'mon man you know this team would be better with less money invested in the QB position. Tarvaris Jackson where art thou?
Right!!! :rofl: :rofl:
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

It's not hate. I agree he's the best the Vikings have had since Favre or Culpepper. But he has limitations that affect this team's performance. His lack of pocket presence does no favors for the OL as does his lack of mobility. Also not impressed with his decision making when things break down. So you're blaming the batted passes on the OL? The DL knowing exactly when he's going to pull the trigger has no bearing? (See Cousins pat the ball, raise hands) I really don't know how they come with the 'pressures' stat so I can't comment on it (it's probably a PFF stat anyway). If the QB holds on to the ball too long, is that considered a pressure? If the QB has enough time to get his pass off to where he intended but gets pushed to the ground anyway, it that considered a pressure? Brees is at the bottom of the list in time to throw (time from snap to throw) but is one of the least sacked QBs. Obviously, there are ways around having less time to throw. I'm not ready to blame the OL for the struggles of this team. Seems more like stupid mistakes and missed opportunities to me.