Fustrated with lack of changes on Oline

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Fustrated with lack of changes on Oline

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:45 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:47 pm For what it’s worth, did anyone see Hernandez get embarrassed multiple times tonight? And many of them being on running plays where he excels. Not trying to compare players but I haven’t seen that happen to oneill yet this year. It was pretty bad
1. He's a rookie
2. Its one game
3. He was up against a top 4 guy at his position

Oneil hasn't been tested the same (Jets LDE, Cards LDE) but yes Hernandez had a poor game last night. Let's throw out his other 6 strong games. If only there was a way to draft both guys.
He was solid in his other games for the most part but either way, one game or not, that's not a good showing. Grady Jarrett literally beat him before he even stood up and it wasnt only Jarrett that beat him. Tak McKinley had his way with him too. And McKinley has been far from impressive this year.

As for who's been tested and who hasnt, in the first 4 games this year, Hernandez faced ONE legit DT group in Jacksonvilles. Outside of that it was the Saints, Cowboys and Texans who have very weak interior defensive lineman. I said, I'm not trying to compare the two nor do I think Hernandez is bad by any means. But he also wasnt saving this OL if we drafted him either
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:14 am
YikesVikes wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:45 pm

1. He's a rookie
2. Its one game
3. He was up against a top 4 guy at his position

Oneil hasn't been tested the same (Jets LDE, Cards LDE) but yes Hernandez had a poor game last night. Let's throw out his other 6 strong games. If only there was a way to draft both guys.
He was solid in his other games for the most part but either way, one game or not, that's not a good showing. Grady Jarrett literally beat him before he even stood up and it wasnt only Jarrett that beat him. Tak McKinley had his way with him too. And McKinley has been far from impressive this year.

As for who's been tested and who hasnt, in the first 4 games this year, Hernandez faced ONE legit DT group in Jacksonvilles. Outside of that it was the Saints, Cowboys and Texans who have very weak interior defensive lineman. I said, I'm not trying to compare the two nor do I think Hernandez is bad by any means. But he also wasnt saving this OL if we drafted him either
You're not saying it but youre suggesting it. Also, a few bad plays does not a season make. Saints are number 1 against the run. Rankins has been excellent. Cowboys also have a great DT. The point remains, Hernandez would have helped.
Last edited by YikesVikes on Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Anyone know what the word on Jones is?

When we traded for him, he sounded decent. The Giants fans were bummed to lose him and seemed to think highly of him. One would think he'd be in the mix, given our struggles at G.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:35 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:14 am

You're not saying it but youre suggesting it. Also, a few bad plays does not a season make. Saints are number 1 against the run. Rankins has been excellent. Cowboys also have a great DT. The point remains, Hernandez would have helped.
I'm not saying him playing bad makes a season. I'm saying that yeah, Hernandez would have helped but he would have helped about as much as Brian O'Neill has so far. Point being, fans keep complaining about drafting Hughes and passing on Hernandez. Well instead, we got Hughes and also got an offensive tackle (which ended up being the bigger position of need in the long run IMO) that is playing excellent right now.

So in the end, guys either like our first 2 picks in Hughes and O'Neill or say that Spielman "botched" the draft by passing on Hernandez. What I'm trying to say is that was drafting Hernandez going to make this OL that much better right now? No. No better than what Brian O'Neill is currently doing. And we also landed Mike Hughes on top of it. So it's hard to really complain right now.

Unless guys are saying we should've drafted Hernandez in the 1st and O'Neill in the 2nd (which I havent seen many say), I dont know why fans are continuing to complain about it. We either have Mike Hughes and Brian O'Neill or we have Will Hernandez and some mystery man. It's not like one situation was a giant advantage over the other is my point. We ended up getting 2 pretty solid picks right there by the looks of it. Granted Hughes went down but both have looked solid so far.

All in all, I'm just tired of hearing the complaining over Hernandez. We got O'Neill and a good CB instead. Hernandez wouldn't have worked a miracle with what we have on this OL. He is one player. He would've held his own at LG just like O'Neill is holding his own at RT. It's done and over with.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:57 pm All in all, I'm just tired of hearing the complaining over Hernandez. We got O'Neill and a good CB instead. Hernandez wouldn't have worked a miracle with what we have on this OL. He is one player. He would've held his own at LG just like O'Neill is holding his own at RT. It's done and over with.
I agree. It is just not possible to judge a draft pick or even an entire draft that quickly, and by any objective measure, O'Neill is contributing positively every bit as much to the Vikings as Hernandez is to the Giants.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:08 am
Texas Vike wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:57 pm All in all, I'm just tired of hearing the complaining over Hernandez. We got O'Neill and a good CB instead. Hernandez wouldn't have worked a miracle with what we have on this OL. He is one player. He would've held his own at LG just like O'Neill is holding his own at RT. It's done and over with.
I agree. It is just not possible to judge a draft pick or even an entire draft that quickly, and by any objective measure, O'Neill is contributing positively every bit as much to the Vikings as Hernandez is to the Giants.
It's interesting that this thread lives on.

The O-line has had its best two games in the past two weeks, and that's without Reiff. They gave up only 9 pressures against the Jets -- by contrast, they gave up 30 against the Rams. I've said it before and I'll say it again ... losing Tony Sparano hurt. However, Clancy Barone is no slouch. The guy has a Super Bowl ring as O-line coach with the Broncos. Give the man a chance, and I believe he'll develop these guys. Heck, there's already plenty of evidence that he's making great strides with them.

O'Neill has been particularly impressive. According to ESPN, he's only given up 7 hurries in 185 pass-blocking snaps and no sacks. Also, PFF rates him as our second-best run blocker. I don't think anyone can argue that he's progressing nicely.

Yet some continue to complain that we didn't draft Hernandez. Go figure.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:44 pm
VikingLord wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:08 am

It's interesting that this thread lives on.

The O-line has had its best two games in the past two weeks, and that's without Reiff. They gave up only 9 pressures against the Jets -- by contrast, they gave up 30 against the Rams. I've said it before and I'll say it again ... losing Tony Sparano hurt. However, Clancy Barone is no slouch. The guy has a Super Bowl ring as O-line coach with the Broncos. Give the man a chance, and I believe he'll develop these guys. Heck, there's already plenty of evidence that he's making great strides with them.

O'Neill has been particularly impressive. According to ESPN, he's only given up 7 hurries in 185 pass-blocking snaps and no sacks. Also, PFF rates him as our second-best run blocker. I don't think anyone can argue that he's progressing nicely.

Yet some continue to complain that we didn't draft Hernandez. Go figure.
Oline had best two games during which major changes were made. Lol. Hence the thread was right.
Last edited by YikesVikes on Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:45 am
YikesVikes wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:35 pm

I'm not saying him playing bad makes a season. I'm saying that yeah, Hernandez would have helped but he would have helped about as much as Brian O'Neill has so far. Point being, fans keep complaining about drafting Hughes and passing on Hernandez. Well instead, we got Hughes and also got an offensive tackle (which ended up being the bigger position of need in the long run IMO) that is playing excellent right now.

So in the end, guys either like our first 2 picks in Hughes and O'Neill or say that Spielman "botched" the draft by passing on Hernandez. What I'm trying to say is that was drafting Hernandez going to make this OL that much better right now? No. No better than what Brian O'Neill is currently doing. And we also landed Mike Hughes on top of it. So it's hard to really complain right now.

Unless guys are saying we should've drafted Hernandez in the 1st and O'Neill in the 2nd (which I havent seen many say), I dont know why fans are continuing to complain about it. We either have Mike Hughes and Brian O'Neill or we have Will Hernandez and some mystery man. It's not like one situation was a giant advantage over the other is my point. We ended up getting 2 pretty solid picks right there by the looks of it. Granted Hughes went down but both have looked solid so far.

All in all, I'm just tired of hearing the complaining over Hernandez. We got O'Neill and a good CB instead. Hernandez wouldn't have worked a miracle with what we have on this OL. He is one player. He would've held his own at LG just like O'Neill is holding his own at RT. It's done and over with.
In fairness, you brought up Hernandez.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:16 pm
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:45 am

In fairness, you brought up Hernandez.
You’re right I did, saying he didn’t play good Monday night but let’s not pretend like the complaining of us not drafting Hernandez isn’t a regular thing on here either
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

I'm fully bought in to Oneil + Hughes > Hernadez and 2 round cb. You won't hear me mention Hernandez again. I will mention that we need to play our vest players however, I don't think we have the best combo starting.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I wouldn't have complained with the 1st and 2nd going to the OL. Especially in hindsight with Hughes going down.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Cliff wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:28 am I wouldn't have complained with the 1st and 2nd going to the OL. Especially in hindsight with Hughes going down.
Me either. I'm not sure why it's an either/or situation.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:57 pm Anyone know what the word on Jones is?

When we traded for him, he sounded decent. The Giants fans were bummed to lose him and seemed to think highly of him. One would think he'd be in the mix, given our struggles at G.
I've been wondering about this too. Obviously he wasn't performing super well at center but I thought the fact that he also had experience as a guard was going to be the benefit of trading for him. Essentially, moving him to left guard when Elflein came back. The only time I've heard him mentioned recently how much of an upgrade Elflein is over him. Nothing about his potential elsewhere on the line. If Isidora is starting instead of him that seems telling.....or aat least what the coaches think of him.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Cliff wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:28 am I wouldn't have complained with the 1st and 2nd going to the OL. Especially in hindsight with Hughes going down.
I wouldn't have complained either, although I did think Hughes was about as clear cut as a BPA pick at that point as anyone could be that late in the 1st. But if Spielman had gone with Hernandez at that point I probably wouldn't have called it a poor choice.

Let's see how things look in another 2-3 seasons. I suspect it will be clear Hughes was the best choice by that point. Really sucks that he got injured because he was playing well.