Rams Postgame Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Rams Postgame Thread

Post by Mothman »

allday1991 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:45 am Hit the nail on the head. Not buying the whole we havent ran it enough to see results arguement, if we did more with the attemps given it would result in more touches as you said.
True. They're not really committed to it either. They'd better find a way to run it more effectively and create better balance in the offense because I doubt they're going to the playoffs with Cousins attempting about 50 passes per game.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

allday1991 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:45 am Hit the nail on the head. Not buying the whole we havent ran it enough to see results arguement, if we did more with the attemps given it would result in more touches as you said.
Point is, you actually need attempts to do something. We didn’t run Murray more than twice against buffalo because we couldn’t, it’s because we were down 17-0 after 5 offensive plays. And if you think different I’m going to sit here and tell you you’re dead wrong. Same goes for GB when we were down 20-7. You can’t just ground and Pound when you’re down by 13+
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:09 pm Point is, you actually need attempts to do something. We didn’t run Murray more than twice against buffalo because we couldn’t, it’s because we were down 17-0 after 5 offensive plays. And if you think different I’m going to sit here and tell you you’re dead wrong. Same goes for GB when we were down 20-7. You can’t just ground and Pound when you’re down by 13+
And the Thursday night shootout? Why couldnt we run the ball then?
We were down 17-0 in the first quarter. If your coach abandons the run becuase of that he's an idiot.
You refuse to admit that the oline sucks and every week it is another excuse. Stop, just stop. They suck, we can't run because they aren't any good.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:50 pm And the Thursday night shootout? Why couldnt we run the ball then?
We were down 17-0 in the first quarter. If your coach abandons the run becuase of that he's an idiot.
You refuse to admit that the oline sucks and every week it is another excuse. Stop, just stop. They suck, we can't run because they aren't any good.
When have I ever said the OL is good? Or even average. I’m not going to stop. They did abandon the run. Clearly. But I can guarantee it’s not because they think cook or Murray aren’t any good. This OL isn’t good at pass blocking either but we still threw the ball. A lot. You’re saying we aren’t running because the coaches think it’s a liability. I can honestly tell you that’s false. Pass blocking is also a liability. The reason we were down 17-0 was because of PASS BLOCKING. Not because of running the ball or our run blocking. They are a liability either way. But when you’re down by that much that quick, you have to play catch up and that is why we’ve had to abandon the run in the last 3 games. It’s obvious. Zimmer is NEVER just going to give up on running the ball and passing all year because the “OL can’t run block”. No matter if we have the cowboys OL or 5 trash cans out there. So I can tell you that’s nowhere close to why he’s gotten away from it the last 3 games. It’s because we’ve been playing from behind.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:08 pm When have I ever said the OL is good? Or even average. I’m not going to stop. They did abandon the run. Clearly. But I can guarantee it’s not because they think cook or Murray aren’t any good. This OL isn’t good at pass blocking either but we still threw the ball. A lot. You’re saying we aren’t running because the coaches think it’s a liability. I can honestly tell you that’s false. Pass blocking is also a liability. The reason we were down 17-0 was because of PASS BLOCKING. Not because of running the ball or our run blocking. They are a liability either way. But when you’re down by that much that quick, you have to play catch up and that is why we’ve had to abandon the run in the last 3 games. It’s obvious. Zimmer is NEVER just going to give up on running the ball and passing all year because the “OL can’t run block”. No matter if we have the cowboys OL or 5 trash cans out there. So I can tell you that’s nowhere close to why he’s gotten away from it the last 3 games. It’s because we’ve been playing from behind.
We were down 17-0 because of run blocking. We weren't able to run the ball and stay ahead of the sticks. As a result, we faced a lot of 3rd and longs. When that happens, sacks and fumbles go up.We have 0, cero, zero, ziltch, 1-1=, rushing touchdowns in 4 games. 0! Our running backs are great. Or line is suspect.
Last edited by YikesVikes on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Drive 2
1st & 10 at MIN 25
(7:24 - 1st) L.Murray right guard to MIN 27 for 2 yards (M.Milano).

2nd & 8 at MIN 27
(6:46 - 1st) M.Boone left tackle to MIN 27 for no gain (L.Alexander; S.Lotulelei).

3rd & 8 at MIN 27
(6:04 - 1st) (Shotgun) K.Cousins sacked at MIN 19 for -8 yards (J.Hughes). FUMBLES (J.Hughes) [J.Hughes], RECOVERED by BUF-M.Milano at MIN 25. M.Milano to MIN 25 for no gain (M.Remmers).

Drive 4
1st & 10 at MIN 8
(12:09 - 2nd) K.Cousins pass short right to L.Treadwell to MIN 11 for 3 yards (T.Johnson; M.Milano).

2nd & 7 at MIN 11
(11:32 - 2nd) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short right to K.Rudolph to MIN 17 for 6 yards (R.Bush).

3rd & 1 at MIN 17
(10:50 - 2nd) (Shotgun) K.Cousins sacked at MIN 9 for -8 yards (K.Williams).
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:16 pm True. They're not really committed to it either. They'd better find a way to run it more effectively and create better balance in the offense because I doubt they're going to the playoffs with Cousins attempting about 50 passes per game.
Cousins is on pace to attempt 756 passes.

The NFL single-season record is 727, by Matthew Stafford in 2012 for the 4-12 Lions.

Ugh.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:42 pm Cousins is on pace to attempt 756 passes.

The NFL single-season record is 727, by Matthew Stafford in 2012 for the 4-12 Lions.

Ugh.
Yikes. That's not a good trajectory.

Thanks for the stats though. I didn't realize he was on a near record-setting pace.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:33 pm We were down 17-0 because of run blocking. We weren't able to run the ball and stay ahead of the sticks. As a result, we faced a lot of 3rd and longs. When that happens, sacks and fumbles go up.We have 0, cero, zero, ziltch, 1-1=, rushing touchdowns in 4 games. 0! Our running backs are great. Or line is suspect.
Oh my goodness. We ran TWO times for 2 yards. If you abandon the run game after two runs because we didnt gain much, then the coach is an idiot. Not if he abandons it after being down 17-0. I dont know what you're seeing or thinking but we did not abandon the run vs Buffalo because of 2 runs going for 2 yards. If that was the case, every team in the NFL would be abandoning the run because they are getting two yards on two run plays
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:42 pm Cousins is on pace to attempt 756 passes.

Ugh.
DeFelippo had been quoted leading up to the Rams game that he needed to alter his play calling with respect to this statistic. It did seem that they did a better job for LA in not abandoning the run. However, that game also dictating a heavy dose of passing.

I would argue that in the last three games circumstances have warranted a more pass heavy approach. In all three casese we were trying to come back and recapture the lead. In the specific case of the Rams game the Defense was not stopping the Rams at any level, so it required more passing.

IMO this issue is a symptom of the problems going on with the defense.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

mansquatch wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:29 am DeFelippo had been quoted leading up to the Rams game that he needed to alter his play calling with respect to this statistic. It did seem that they did a better job for LA in not abandoning the run. However, that game also dictating a heavy dose of passing.

I would argue that in the last three games circumstances have warranted a more pass heavy approach. In all three casese we were trying to come back and recapture the lead. In the specific case of the Rams game the Defense was not stopping the Rams at any level, so it required more passing.

No doubt about it. That's why the "ugh" comment by me. We've got to stop the bleeding on defense so that we can get back to running the football and controlling clock on offense.

I always get a kick out of fans who clamor for the high-octane passing attack. We have it now. Not that helpful without a defense.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:24 pm No doubt about it. That's why the "ugh" comment by me. We've got to stop the bleeding on defense so that we can get back to running the football and controlling clock on offense.

I always get a kick out of fans who clamor for the high-octane passing attack. We have it now. Not that helpful without a defense.
Better than low octane w/o a defense, no?
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

mansquatch wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:29 am DeFelippo had been quoted leading up to the Rams game that he needed to alter his play calling with respect to this statistic. It did seem that they did a better job for LA in not abandoning the run. However, that game also dictating a heavy dose of passing.

Why do you need more passing if your defense isn't stopping the Rams. If anything it is the opposite. You want to slow the pace of the game, disrupt their offensive momentum, and give you defense as much time as possible to figure out their issues. We didn't do that, which tells me again, it is not an issue of our coaches forgetting that we need to run the ball but the fact that our QB WAS GETTING TACKLED WHEN HANDING OFF :rofl:
9man
Transition Player

Post by 9man »

YikesVikes wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:02 pm Why do you need more passing if your defense isn't stopping the Rams. If anything it is the opposite. You want to slow the pace of the game, disrupt their offensive momentum, and give you defense as much time as possible to figure out their issues. We didn't do that, which tells me again, it is not an issue of our coaches forgetting that we need to run the ball but the fact that our QB WAS GETTING TACKLED WHEN HANDING OFF :rofl:
I don't think you can say it was one thing and not another. It was a combination of numerous things. The defense couldn't/didn't adjust (I don't think it was planned to have Barr covering Kupp), the passing game was more effective than the run game (especially when down 2 scores), the Rams defense was defending the run well, Vikings OL was a little overmatched against Suh and Donald (I don't think that should have surprised anyone).
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes, Mike Zimmer literally just said in his presser that a big reason the run game isnt where he wants it is partly in due to the scores in the games. Not sure how you can continue to argue it when the head coach himself says that was the reason
-Chazz Palminteri