Vikings @ Packers Pregame Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: Vikings @ Packers Pregame Thread

Post by halfgiz »

I don't really care if Erin plays or not. All I want is a win...
If he does start I don't see him lasting the whole game. Our D is going to be hungry!!
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

This will be a tough game for the Vikings, but definitely one they can win.

Offensively, the Vikings will want to test the Packer secondary early and often. While their secondary is not a glaring weakness, I think this is something the Vikings can do as I don't think the Packers have a great pass rush. They might bring extra rushers and overloads to compensate, but Cousins is generally solid reading the blitz. He won't rush throws or turn it over and generally makes the right reads in pressure situations. I also don't think the Packers are strong against the rush, so a heavy dose of Cook/Murray should find some success. The key for the Vikings will be execution on offense - don't fumble, avoid penalties, stay fundamentally sound. I think they can move it on the Packers. Whether they can punch it into the endzone consistently, that I'm not sure of, but Cousins should get his chances against a very average defense.

Defensively, well, I loved what I saw from the Vikings defensive line last week against the 49ers. They got consistent pressure on a much more mobile QB than Rodgers will be this week, and while the Packers have a better offensive line than the 49ers, if Rodgers can't move, he's going to be feeling that pressure a lot. Granted, he's the kind of QB that can overcome it, but if he plays with that injury the Vikings linemen will get home on him. The key for the Vikings is to make sure they cover their assignments in the defensive backfield and at linebacker and tackle well. If Rodgers is hurt, I expect the Packers to try a lot of quicker passes on shorter routes. As long as the defensive back and linebackers play fundamentally sound, they should be able to defend that. The Packers don't have a great running attack, so I'm not too worried about that. I expect the Packers will get some yards on the ground, if for no other reason than to keep the pressure off Rodgers, but I think the Vikings can defend it without making any large adjustments. If the Packers win it, it's going to be through the air and probably require some cooperation from the Vikings in terms of blown assignments, penalties, or missed tackles.

Vikings are the better overall team, but Packers are at home. This will be closer than it should be, but I'll go with Vikings 21, Packers 17. Packers try to drive late, but Griffen strip-sacks Rodgers to seal the victory. If Rodgers can't go or has to leave the game, I'll go with Vikings 28, Packers 6. Kizer is more mobile, but makes more mistakes.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:17 pm This will be a tough game for the Vikings, but definitely one they can win.

Offensively, the Vikings will want to test the Packer secondary early and often. While their secondary is not a glaring weakness, I think this is something the Vikings can do as I don't think the Packers have a great pass rush. They might bring extra rushers and overloads to compensate, but Cousins is generally solid reading the blitz. He won't rush throws or turn it over and generally makes the right reads in pressure situations. I also don't think the Packers are strong against the rush, so a heavy dose of Cook/Murray should find some success. The key for the Vikings will be execution on offense - don't fumble, avoid penalties, stay fundamentally sound. I think they can move it on the Packers. Whether they can punch it into the endzone consistently, that I'm not sure of, but Cousins should get his chances against a very average defense.

Defensively, well, I loved what I saw from the Vikings defensive line last week against the 49ers. They got consistent pressure on a much more mobile QB than Rodgers will be this week, and while the Packers have a better offensive line than the 49ers, if Rodgers can't move, he's going to be feeling that pressure a lot. Granted, he's the kind of QB that can overcome it, but if he plays with that injury the Vikings linemen will get home on him. The key for the Vikings is to make sure they cover their assignments in the defensive backfield and at linebacker and tackle well. If Rodgers is hurt, I expect the Packers to try a lot of quicker passes on shorter routes. As long as the defensive back and linebackers play fundamentally sound, they should be able to defend that. The Packers don't have a great running attack, so I'm not too worried about that. I expect the Packers will get some yards on the ground, if for no other reason than to keep the pressure off Rodgers, but I think the Vikings can defend it without making any large adjustments. If the Packers win it, it's going to be through the air and probably require some cooperation from the Vikings in terms of blown assignments, penalties, or missed tackles.

Vikings are the better overall team, but Packers are at home. This will be closer than it should be, but I'll go with Vikings 21, Packers 17. Packers try to drive late, but Griffen strip-sacks Rodgers to seal the victory. If Rodgers can't go or has to leave the game, I'll go with Vikings 28, Packers 6. Kizer is more mobile, but makes more mistakes.
Good analysis! I agree with all of it.

A hobbled Rodgers will have to throw quickly, as he won't be able to extend plays with his mobility. That puts a premium on tackling, and the Bears were absolutely awful at tackling after the catch during the second half. I have to believe the Vikings can do much, much better. The only thing that worries me is if we continue to struggle covering tight ends. Graham is a good one, although he did next to nothing against the Bears.

As for Green Bay's defense, it's interesting how much everybody is drooling over their two rookie corners. But let's not forget -- they're ROOKIE CORNERS, and Mitch Trubisky and the Bears receivers aren't exactly the second coming of Joe Montana and Jerry Rice. These rookie corners haven't been truly challenged yet, and I look for John DeFilippo to dial up some formations and personnel groupings that will remind everybody that Jaire Alexander and Josh Jackson have exactly one game in the NFL.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

A little sarcasm from Zimmer?
Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers was hobbled by a knee injury in Week One, but Vikings coach Mike Zimmer has no doubt that Rodgers will play when the teams meet in Week Two.

“Yeah, well, you know he walks on water, so I’m sure he’s going to play,” Zimmer said.

Officially, the Packers haven’t said whether Rodgers can play through what he said was a sprained knee. But Rodgers came back from the injury and led the Packers on a comeback win over the Bears, and he said afterward that he had no doubt he’d be able to play against the Vikings.

Read more
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

It seems there are people and the media who feel this won't be a "real" win if Kizer plays. But we've beaten Rodgers when he was healthy. Once in Lambeau for the North title and also to open US Bank where he led a last minute drive with an interception on an out route that Waynes jumped.

I don't wish injury on anyone but I didn't see this much sympathy when we were playing our 3rd string QB to 13 wins. It's not our fault we're not a one man team. I just want a win.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

S197 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:39 am It seems there are people and the media who feel this won't be a "real" win if Kizer plays. But we've beaten Rodgers when he was healthy. Once in Lambeau for the North title and also to open US Bank where he led a last minute drive with an interception on an out route that Waynes jumped.
In 2016 Rhodes wasn't even playing in that game.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

S197 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:39 am It seems there are people and the media who feel this won't be a "real" win if Kizer plays. But we've beaten Rodgers when he was healthy. Once in Lambeau for the North title and also to open US Bank where he led a last minute drive with an interception on an out route that Waynes jumped.

I don't wish injury on anyone but I didn't see this much sympathy when we were playing our 3rd string QB to 13 wins. It's not our fault we're not a one man team. I just want a win.
Agree. I could care less how the Vikings get a win. I think the goal is to earn HFA throughout the playoffs, no matter how real or fake each win is.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

So I know this doesn't make any bit of difference but Cousins outplayed Rodgers the last time they played each other:

Week 11 2016 | Washington 42, Green Bay 24
Cousins: 21/30, 375 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, 145.8 rating
Rodgers: 26/41, 351 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, 115 rating

Looks like a blowout but it wasn't - Rodgers kept the Packers in it every drive and forced Cousins to come up with big time throws to finally put them away. Crappy weather that night too (windy/rainy).

Cousins also played pretty evenly with Rodgers in the playoffs the year before despite the Packers coming out with a win.

Wild Card 2016 | Green Bay 35, Washington 18
Cousins: 29/46, 329 yards, 2 TDs (1 rushing), 0 INTs, 91.7 rating
Rodgers: 21/36, 210 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, 93.5 rating

Mostly means nothing since they were different teams, but it does mean that Cousins might be able to keep up with Rodgers if for some reason Rodgers has one of his 5 TD 400+ yard games this weekend.
9man
Transition Player

Post by 9man »

My opinion, not that it really matters.

I would prefer if Rodgers was healthy coming into this week. This Vikings team is all around better than the Packers and if we are going to win a Super Bowl we need to be able to beat a Rodgers led Packers team.

Vikings fans, DO NOT be afraid of the Packers! SKOL!
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

9man wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:55 pm My opinion, not that it really matters.

I would prefer if Rodgers was healthy coming into this week. This Vikings team is all around better than the Packers and if we are going to win a Super Bowl we need to be able to beat a Rodgers led Packers team.

I agree with you on preferring to play a healthy Rodgers. Although, I am not terribly disappointed that we will have mild weather during our trip to Lambeau field. We lucked out there.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Purple Domination wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:05 pm I agree with you on preferring to play a healthy Rodgers. Although, I am not terribly disappointed that we will have mild weather during our trip to Lambeau field. We lucked out there.
I'd call it "we finally caught a break," or more likely "the NFL finally realized they can't be THAT blatant in giving Green Bay the scheduling advantage every year."

Last three seasons we've played at Lambeau: December, December, January. Two of the three seasons previous to that, we played Thanksgiving or later.

It's about time we played there with the temperature above freezing.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Amen.

I get so sick of the media. Sports Illustrated actually has them THIRD in their latest power rankings. It's such a freaking slobber-fest for Rodgers, as if he can win games all by himself. Ted Thompson is proving that theory wrong year after year, yet year after year they're picked as a Super Bowl favorite.

In my humble and admittedly biased opinion, this may be THE most overrated Packers team of the Rodgers era. I've said it before, and I'll say it again ... because the Packers are publicly owned, Ted Thompson has ZERO accountability for his roster failings. The only thing that has kept him afloat is Aaron Rodgers, who by his talent should have about 7 Super Bowl rings if Thompson actually had the brains to put anyone around him.

There isn't a team I hate more or respect less. No matter whether Rodgers plays, I hope we DESTROY the Packers. A 3- or 4-touchdown win would not be enough for me.

And by the way, Davante Adams was held out of practice Wednesday and limited on Thursday.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

9man wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:55 pm My opinion, not that it really matters.

Agree. If you want to be the best you have to beat the best. That said, a win is a win and if Kizer plays and we win I don't see that as anything to apologize about. Hoping to see a dominant defense that clean a up the blown coverage errors and an improved offensive line performance.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

808vikingsfan wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:19 pm TV maps up

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2018&wk=2
Thanks!
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.