2018 Season General Thread (News, Notes, Interviews, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Re: Vikings Announce 6 Captains for 2018

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:42 am I mean most of those guys are our "new vets" with B-Rob and Newman gone. But nobody from the defensive backfield?? How is Harry not a captain. Is this Zim's way of keeping Barr on his good side given he hasnt gotten an extension. Because Harry deserves to be a captain WAY more than Barr does IMO. He's been the #1 safety in the league for a long time, is a pro's pro, great off the field, leader of the defense if you ask me. I guess I just dont understand that one. Harry got snubbed there.

How do we know Zimmer chose the captains? Or did the players vote?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2018 Season General Thread (News, Notes, Interviews, etc)

Post by dead_poet »

9/5 Injury Report

DNP: Alexander, Thomas
Limited: Reiff, Elflein, Rhodes, Sherels
Full: Coley
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:53 pm How do we know Zimmer chose the captains? Or did the players vote?
True. We dont know. I guess I'm just very surprised
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:18 am True. We dont know. I guess I'm just very surprised
It was a surprise to me too but you never know what it's like in the locker room.

If it was the players that chose I wonder if it's kind of a nudge towards the front office showing how vital they think he is.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

@Andrew_Krammer
Following Following @Andrew_Krammer
More
Trae Waynes walked through the locker room without any support on the right knee he injured in yesterday’s game.

Waynes (knee) is expected to practice this week, according to Zimmer. Another good sign after he was unable to return to the game vs. the 49ers.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

It looks like Aviante Collins is done for the season.

Vikings Sign G Barry Witzmann
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Here are five things to know about the newest Minnesota Viking:

1. Bringing experience

Witzmann started 13 games at left guard for Kansas City in 2017, and played in 11 games in 2016. He helped Chiefs running back Kareem Hunt lead the league in rushing with 1,327 yards this past season.

Witzmann spent the offseason and training camp with the Chiefs before being released earlier this month.

2. Ironman streak

Witzmann played at South Dakota State, where the offensive lineman started every game in his four-year career. He set a school record with 49 consecutive starts and was twice-named an FCS All-American.

3. Book smarts

Witzmann was a four-time member of the Missouri Valley Football Conference Honor Roll and recipient of the MVFC Commissioner’s Academic Excellence Award.

4. Border Battle

Witzmann joins the roster as the Vikings are preparing to face the Packers. The 28-year-old was an All-State offensive lineman at Somerset High School (Wisconsin) and received Honorable Mention All-State honors for a defensive lineman as a senior in 2008.

5. Team No. 5

Witzmann is now on his fifth team in the NFL. He spent time with Houston, New Orleans Dallas and Kansas City before joining the Vikings.
https://www.vikings.com/news/5-things-t ... n-witzmann
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Hopefully he fills a void for us.
Not sure if he will be active Sunday or not with us being thin on the OL.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Any word on if Elflien is practicing?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

808vikingsfan wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:05 pm Any word on if Elflien is practicing?
We should know something tomorrow.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Harrison Smith named NFC Defensive Player of the Week. :v):
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Zimmer said Elflein had a good week of practice last week. He says he'll see how today/this week goes before deciding whether he plays vs. GB.

Getting closer.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@Andrew_Krammer

Dalvin Cook said his uncle, FIU RB Anthony Jones who was the victim of a drive-by shooting in Fla. last week, woke up from medically-induced coma yesterday. They talked on the phone. Cook was going to visit on Vikings' off day, but Jones told him to prepare and win one for him.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@christomasson

All players practicing for the Vikings today, including Trae Waynes who suffered knee injury Sunday and Roc Thomas who sat out Sunday with ankle injury
@Andrew_Krammer

Brett Jones still working with Kirk Cousins in individual drills at start of today’s practice. Pat Elflein suited up and practicing, snapped to Siemian. #Vikings
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Seattle cut Tom Johnson after 1 game.

Apparently, needed the roster spot but plan to re-sign him next week. Currently he's a FA though. Interesting...