Vikings @ Packers Pregame Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Vikings @ Packers Pregame Thread

Post by Cliff »

Gonna be a tough game and one that we need win to set the tone for the season against our biggest competition in the north. All of those high round DBs we have - playing this QB twice a year is one of the big reasons why we have them. We didn't really get to see Rodgers against them last season so I'm excited and nervous to see how it goes.
EAGAN, Minn. (WCCO) – The Minnesota Vikings did what we all expected them to do on Sunday, beat the San Francisco 49ers in their season opener. It was far from perfect, but it was a solid start. Now, it’s Packers week. A massive game already in Week 2 that got even more massive Sunday night after Aaron Rodgers’ heroics. WCCO’s David McCoy tells us what it’ll take for the Vikings to start 2-0. As first games go, Kirk Cousins’ debut in purple went pretty well. “The one to (Kyle) Rudolph was a tight window, the one to (Stefon) Diggs, the one to (David) Morgan. He’s been doing it in practice too. He throws into tight places. When he needs to hum it, he can hum it,” Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said. But as well as that game went, there were still plenty of things that didn’t. And I don’t think even Mike Zimmer would disagree that they’re going to have to play a lot better to beat the Packers. I mean, did you see what Aaron Rodgers did Sunday night? “I did just finish watching it. It’s remarkable. The guy is unbelievable. There aren’t enough superlatives to say about this guy. He’s just amazing, receivers did a great job as well. I thought their offensive line blocked really well at the end. We’re going to have our hands full,” Zimmer said.

After Beating 49ers, Vikings Focus Shifts To Packer Week
Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Vikings @ Packers Pregame Thread

Post by Cliff »

It would probably be a good idea for him to ride the pine next week against this defense :D
Aaron Rodgers injury update: QB not ready to promise he'll be on the field in Week 2

Following the game, one of the first questions for Rodgers came from NBC's Michele Tafoya, who wanted to know if the Packers quarterback would be on the field in Week 2 against the Vikings. When Rodgers answered the question, he left no doubt.

"I'm playing next week," Rodgers said.

Although Rodgers expressed somer serious optimism there, he was more realistic about his playing status during his postgame press conference. According to Rodgers, he likely won't know for sure if he can play against the Vikings until Wednesday. Basically, Rodgers will undergo testing on Monday and if he gets the all-clear, he'll test out the knee after that to make sure there's no more pain.

"It was painful," Rodgers said of the playing with the knee injury, via the team's official website. "I'll give you a better answer [about Week 2] on Wednesday, but as long as there's no major issues I'll keep playing."

Packers coach Mike McCarthy was asked about Rodgers' playing status on Monday and said that things are still completely up in the air as far as whether or not his star quarterback will take the field against Minnesota.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

It is too early to comment here. This is totally obvious, but it depends on the severity of Rogers' injury. If he is playing like he did in the 2nd half on Sunday, then I like our chances. He had zero mobility and he couldn't really step into his throws. That bodes well for us. I'm sure someone will come in here and make a comment about he won the game in the 2nd half, but I challenge them to rewatch that game. GB was running the same dink and dunk offense we ran in 2016 when our OL was a total dumpster fire. They didn't start going deep until the Bears' pass rush got tired. The Bears back 7 played a horrible half as well, they played poor coverage and missed tackles all over the place.

I really wonder if he is going to play or not? I know they are riding the feel good train after that win, but if that injury is more than a bad spraid, they are risking his season and possibly his career if they keep putting him out there.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

mansquatch wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:49 amThe Bears back 7 played a horrible half as well, they played poor coverage, dropped a gimme interception right on the numbers that would have sealed the game, and missed tackles all over the place.
FIFY
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I left that one out, you are right.

I felt the 3rd and short in the red zone where they threw it instead of running for a 1st down was even more pathetic.
They gave Roger over 40 seconds of time back, plus let them keep the 2 minute warning. If they had gained like 12 inches it would have been 1st and 10 and GB had no time outs. GAME OVER. But the Bears are stupid...
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I'm interested to see how this new improved D does against Erin.
Just wonder if we see more of Wilson covering backs and TE's. He has better speed than Gedeon, or will we see Iloka playing the hybrid role?
I hope Erin plays so we can get after him and see what for shape his knee is in. :govikes:
raddmann
Backup

Post by raddmann »

We should blitz Barr on every play !
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

mansquatch wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:49 am It is too early to comment here. This is totally obvious, but it depends on the severity of Rogers' injury. If he is playing like he did in the 2nd half on Sunday, then I like our chances. He had zero mobility and he couldn't really step into his throws. That bodes well for us. I'm sure someone will come in here and make a comment about he won the game in the 2nd half, but I challenge them to rewatch that game. GB was running the same dink and dunk offense we ran in 2016 when our OL was a total dumpster fire. They didn't start going deep until the Bears' pass rush got tired. The Bears back 7 played a horrible half as well, they played poor coverage and missed tackles all over the place.

I really wonder if he is going to play or not? I know they are riding the feel good train after that win, but if that injury is more than a bad spraid, they are risking his season and possibly his career if they keep putting him out there.
Yeah, the Bears pooped the bed in the fourth quarter, didn't they? Rodgers did nothing in Q3, and then the Bears secondary started playing like a Division III team. Green Bay's receivers wore them out. Yes, Rodgers made some decent throws, but only as you said ... dink-and-dunk, with receivers piling up YAC as Bear DBs flailed.

I'm more worried about the tight end situation. If we can't cover George Kittle with Garoppolo throwing to him, how on earth are we going to cover Jimmy Graham with Rodgers spinning the ball? I suppose it's a function of the way Zimmer plays defense ... very aggressive defenses always leave a hole somewhere, and Shanahan was smart enough to figure out where the soft spots were. To Zimmer's credit, he adjusted and readjusted throughout the game. It was quite a game of cat-and-mouse. Also, I think Mike McCarthy is one of the most overrated coaches in the NFL, and if Zimm gets his number, well, he's no Kyle Shanahan as a playcaller.

Of course, if Rodgers is out, all bets are off. DeShone Kizer simply can't be allowed to beat us. Otherwise, we might as well lay to rest any postseason aspirations.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I feel like the refs are extra protective of Rodgers this game and it possibly costs the Vikes.

They're human and they know exactly how Rodgers was injured last season and he will most likely be hobbled this game.

Because other than that, I don't see how they beat Minnesota. The Viking are vastly superior in most all areas except QB. Some spots can be argued, but the Vikings are just the better team.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Anyone else think it's funny that Aaron Rodgers happened to get injured and make his dramatic comeback on the opening weekend with the lowest ratings in years? All of the theatrics of carting him off, to reports that he walked to the locker room as soon as the cart was out of view, to Al Michael's and Cris collinsworth fawning over home when he came out after halftime and throughout the 2nd half, and he was somehow able to move the ball at will when he could do nothing just an hour earlier? I am absolutely not a conspiracy theorist, but when he came out after halftime, I said to myself that green Bay would win by one point. I was thinking 21-20 but other than that, I was right.
I would not put it past goodell to somehow stage something like this. Rodgers is legitimately injured. But, maybe he called the Packers locker room and told them to get Rodgers out there because without him, this season for the league is in even worse shape than what it already is.
Again, this is not normal thinking for me. But there are too many incredible coincidences here to ignore.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:01 pm Anyone else think it's funny that Aaron Rodgers happened to get injured and make his dramatic comeback on the opening weekend with the lowest ratings in years? All of the theatrics of carting him off, to reports that he walked to the locker room as soon as the cart was out of view, to Al Michael's and Cris collinsworth fawning over home when he came out after halftime and throughout the 2nd half, and he was somehow able to move the ball at will when he could do nothing just an hour earlier? I am absolutely not a conspiracy theorist, but when he came out after halftime, I said to myself that green Bay would win by one point. I was thinking 21-20 but other than that, I was right.
I would not put it past goodell to somehow stage something like this. Rodgers is legitimately injured. But, maybe he called the Packers locker room and told them to get Rodgers out there because without him, this season for the league is in even worse shape than what it already is.
Again, this is not normal thinking for me. But there are too many incredible coincidences here to ignore.
Aaron Rodgers is a whiny b*tch that got injured and did his stupid Aaron Rodgers thing to win the game. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to bed feeling great that the Packers were behind in the 4th quarter only to see in the morning they ended up winning.

There's no conspiracy here. He's legitimately injured, but it doesn't sound like it's a torn ligament (at least, not fully torn). If anything, he bruised his vagina. I hope Linval teabags his stupid face. It'll draw a flag, but I want to use that as my avatar until the end of time.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

I'm glad it didn't happen against the Vikings. Already suffered through it with Paul Pierce in the NBA finals
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Here’s a look at 10 numbers of note heading into Sunday’s matchup:

3 — Stefon Diggs has caught a touchdown in three consecutive games against Green Bay. The Vikings wide receiver has 25 catches for 345 yards and three scores in five career games against the Packers.

0 — Minnesota’s defense pitched a shutout at Lambeau Field in Week 16 of the 2017 season, which was the most recent meeting between the teams. It was only the second time in franchise history that Minnesota held Green Bay scoreless in Wisconsin, and the first time since a 3-0 win on Nov. 14, 1971.

2 — The Vikings swept the series against the Packers during the 2017 season. It marked the first time since 2009 that the Vikings won both games in the twice-annual matchups.

12 — Green Bay has won 12 consecutive home games in September at Lambeau Field. The Packers most recent loss came against the 49ers in the 2012 season opener.

10 Vikings-Packers Numbers of Note: Diggs Has TD in 3 Straight Border Battles
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

@ Purple Must Reign: it did feel perfectly scripted, and I don't tend to buy into conspiracies either. Even in the first quarter I started thinking that--just the way the Bears came out so hot and certainly upset what Vegas had expected. If there is an Illuminati type of thing with the NFL it's coming from Vegas, not the commish.

@ DP. I think you should create that image for your avatar regardless of whether it actually happens.

In all honesty, as much as I dislike Erin, I really want to see us play the Pack when he's healthy (2nd game of the season), just to see us beat them without their having any excuses and to demonstrate our unquestionable superiority.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

dead_poet wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:10 pm Aaron Rodgers is a whiny b*tch that got injured and did his stupid Aaron Rodgers thing to win the game. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to bed feeling great that the Packers were behind in the 4th quarter only to see in the morning they ended up winning.

There's no conspiracy here. He's legitimately injured, but it doesn't sound like it's a torn ligament (at least, not fully torn). If anything, he bruised his vagina. I hope Linval teabags his stupid face. It'll draw a flag, but I want to use that as my avatar until the end of time.
Greatest Post In Thread!! LOL

I agree on him being a whiner and on the league/media fawning all over him to the end of time. If that isn't bad enough, then there are the Packer fans who all thing they are god's little gift to football. :puke:

If what we saw of him in the 2nd half is his current ceiling, we will destroy them. Everyone is hyperventiliating about that comeback, but they are leaving out how awful the Bears played in the 2nd half in order to allow that to happen. It was, to use the current league adverb, "Cleveland-esque". The Vikings are not going to make the same mistakes the Bears did and our pass rush is ever bit as fearsome as the one the Bears employ. There is potential for us to blow up on them. I hope we do. They totally deserve a humiliation.