Sheldon Richardson Changing His Game 

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Sheldon Richardson Changing His Game 

Post by Cliff »

So, what was conveyed in that initial film session before Richardson signed a 1-year deal with the Vikings?

“When you’re a professional, you feel like you can learn a little bit more here and there,” Richardson said. “But me having early success, winning the [Associated Press] Rookie of the Year [in 2013] and [making it to the] Pro Bowl [in 2014] and stuff like that, you think there isn’t too much more you can learn.

“Coming in and meeting with Coach Dre, it was a complete 180,” Richardson added. “He broke me down to the point where, even with my first initial step off the line, it was, ‘Why is it this way and what am I doing and what’s my thought process?’ It was like he wanted to be in the helmet with me. It’s really special what Coach Dre does.”
Read more
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Sheldon Richardson Changing His Game 

Post by dead_poet »

Coach Patterson is a #### national treasure.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I think it really says a lot about the coaching staff. Defensive players come here to revitalize their career because they believe the coaching staff can maximize their potential.

I think it's the same story with George Iloka.
Richardson acknowledged he could have signed elsewhere in free agency, probably for more money. But after five years in the NFL, he wasn’t afraid to take on a new challenge under Patterson’s guidance.

“It was a lot of small things, but you’ll be surprised how big they will be in a game,” Richardson said, reflecting on his change in approach.

“It was just a good opportunity. I had a few other offers that were more lucrative,” Richardson added. “This was the best fit for me.”
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Richardson came into the league with such fanfare and performed at such a high initial level that if he had been able to maintain, there is no way he'd be available, and if he were, no way a team would take just a 1 year flyer on him. It seems obvious that his overall play fell off to a point where he merits the deal he has now and is sort of a redemption project.

With that said, if the coaches and his teammates can re-light his fire for football, the guy could be the SOFA (Steal Of Free Agency). He's got all the talent and tools you want at his position. He's got a great group of players around him and behind him that should provide ample opportunities for him to make splash plays. While the coaching is key, and there is no question the Vikings have some incredible coaches behind Zimmer, both on defense and on offense, Richardson is going to go only as far as he wants to go this season. I'm hoping he sees his opportunity this season and wants to win it all with this team, and we'll see the same guy that took the league by storm early in his career. If that happens, this Vikings defense could be one for the ages.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Guys, we're blessed to have several excellent coaches.

I get daily notices from Sports Illustrated with links to articles. One of the articles today was "NFL Head Coaches-To-Be: Seven Coordinators To Watch in 2018."

No 3. on the list: John DeFilippo.
No 4 on the list: George Edwards.

Andre Patterson is not going to be far behind. In fact, I'd say that if Edwards gets a HC gig, Patterson may well be the heir-apparent as Vikings DC. And if Flip gets a top job, Kevin Stefanski is a likely candidate, as players and coaches speak very highly of him, as well.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Yeah, I really don't think Felippo is here long. Might even become a HC as soon as next season.

I don't know about George Edwards. Always wary of these coordinators whose HC specialized in the same thing when they were coordinators. It's not to slight Edwards, but we don't really know.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:48 pm Yeah, I really don't think Felippo is here long. Might even become a HC as soon as next season.

I don't know about George Edwards. Always wary of these coordinators whose HC specialized in the same thing when they were coordinators. It's not to slight Edwards, but we don't really know.
Here's what SI had to say:
Sports Illustrated wrote:Edwards was interviewed by the Bears last offseason, though the deck was stacked against him. The team was leaning toward an offensive mind for young quarterback Mitch Trubisky, which left Mike Zimmer’s right-hand man on the outside looking in.

For those stuck in the idea that a coordinator has to call plays, consider that most playoff-caliber teams receive their best contributions from those who help put the playbook together, and not necessarily the playcaller himself.

Those inside the business see a steeper climb for entrenched defensive coaches, though investing on that side of the ball has produced some of the NFL’s best coaches right now (Mike Tomlin, Mike Zimmer, Ron Rivera, Dan Quinn).
I'm guessing Edwards is qualified, but might end up having to wait. Hopefully (for him) not as long as Zimmer.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.