Vikings get Giants Center via trade

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Vikings get Giants Center via trade

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

I just saw the news scroll across NFL Network that the Vikings traded their 2019 seventh rd pick to Giants for Center Brett Jones. This has me even more concerned about Elfleins status and timetable for his return. I saw on Vikings.com that Zimmer said he didn't believe Elflein would begin the season on the PUP list, but does this make anyone else a little more concerned about his actual status? I wanna reseach Jones to see what we are getting. This O line situation scares me more and more every day.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Vikings get Giants Center via trade

I just checked Vikings.com and they now have the news of the trade and some info about Jones. Seems like a pretty solid pick up, considering our O line situation at the moment.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

The one thing worth considering is just that with the loss of Elflein last season, Berger in the offseason, and Easton in the preseason, the position flexibility inside is really poor. Most of our interior linemen are one position guys. That just isn't going to work. It could be a trade they would make even if they do expect Elflein back because it allows them to carry 7 OL on Sundays instead of 8.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PFF has him grade out fairly well although I think their lineman grades are off. I think his contract is $2.9M so he isn't cheap. Anyone know if we save anything contract wise for Easton? If it's basically a swap for Easton then it's not so bad. I just hope Elf is off the PUP before the season even If he doesn't play against SF.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

S197 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:22 pm PFF has him grade out fairly well although I think their lineman grades are off. I think his contract is $2.9M so he isn't cheap. Anyone know if we save anything contract wise for Easton? If it's basically a swap for Easton then it's not so bad. I just hope Elf is off the PUP before the season even If he doesn't play against SF.
Well the 2.9 million isn't fully our responsibility. The guarantee is typically paid by NY. Easton on IR should free up all of his salary.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I agree it is concerning that this season we do have so many positional players on the line. I would be happier with this trade if Jones was a player who they could plug in at C or G. In a worse case scenerio Elflein could move to G if injuries dictated it. But i pray that scenrio doesn't come up.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:08 pm I agree it is concerning that this season we do have so many positional players on the line. I would be happier with this trade if Jones was a player who they could plug in at C or G. In a worse case scenerio Elflein could move to G if injuries dictated it. But i pray that scenrio doesn't come up.
Based on what I've read, Jones seems to be a C/G.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

I think this is a very solid low risk high reward situation. Elf may not be on the pup come game 1 but he certainly will not be in "game" shape. As mentioned Jones is a c/g and graded out above average pass protection but below average run blocker according to pff......which I take with a grain of salt. Looking for another OL move on or before cut day.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I like the trade because this guy seems real solid and the money doesn't bother me. Vikes were still, what?...$10 million under the cap even after signing Iloka? My main concern is Elfy. I'm really hoping they expect him back soon and this move was to get more depth for the stretch.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Good move by Spielman. I like it that he only had to give up a 7th as well. I think this will turn out to be a solid value move.

But the move speaks about how dire the situation may be along the offensive line right now. I was hoping no moves would be necessary, but if Spielman is trading picks to add players along the OL, even if the picks are low-round, that tells me he and Zimmer have some reason to be worried heading into the season.

Let's hope the injuries resolve themselves and the Vikings can get their key guys healthy in time to start the season. If we see another move along the OL before the season starts, even if that is a waiver wire guy, I'll be much more concerned.

It would really suck to see a team this deep and talented fall down due to these OL injury issues.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

It's obvious Elflein won't be ready week 1. I'd be shocked if he was back to himself before week 4. Based on how angry Giants fans seem to be about this, we got a good player for peanuts. I've been shocked at how well Edison has played in relief. So much that I'd like to see him at LG. I have no confidence in Tom Compton.

Not a lot of time to prepare, but I dig the signing.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

VikingLord wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:34 pm If we see another move along the OL before the season starts, even if that is a waiver wire guy, I'll be much more concerned.
I get what you’re saying, but I would have been concerned if we didn’t make a move. And I hope we make another one. Even if the coaches are happy with our offensive line play, which I doubt they are, there is no denying that we had one O lineman retire, another starter go down for the season with injury, and another currently on the PUP. Even if our young guys step up, we still need more bodies to replace those loses.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:58 pm It's obvious Elflein won't be ready week 1. I'd be shocked if he was back to himself before week 4. Based on how angry Giants fans seem to be about this, we got a good player for peanuts. I've been shocked at how well Edison has played in relief. So much that I'd like to see him at LG. I have no confidence in Tom Compton.

Not a lot of time to prepare, but I dig the signing.
I agree about Edison. He's really done quite well. I had never heard of him before like four weeks ago.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

My fear now is that they are going to start the wrong 5. Remmers is not a good G, though he is a decent T. Rashod Hill seems to have hit his ceiling, and it isn't that high. Other players could use those reps and provide at least comparable play. Tom Compton seems better suited to being a backup, but indications are he's going to start.

Zimmer seems to take too long to allow superior young players to surpass mediocre vets.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I wasn't able to follow up after much after starting this topic. But I do feel alot better after seeing that he is able to play C/ G. I talked to a friend at work today who is a huge Giants fan, and he was pretty bummed out by the trade. I too must admit that i have been pleasantly suprised bt Edison so far. I also agree that it's prob gonna be several games before Elflein is reallt back to form. Man, it just sucks so much that this team is so loaded with talent, and the O line has to such a concern. I just hope this D can be like the the 85 Bears, or the Ravens with Dilfer at QB. Just hold the other team under 10!!! Gonna just keep thinking the best.. as much as i can.