Preseason Week 3 Post Game Thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Preseason Week 3 Post Game Thoughts

Post by Cliff »

Didn't get watch so I'd love to get the ball rolling. I caught the last 3 minutes, that was fun.
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Preseason Week 3 Post Game Thoughts

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Game was pretty fun and the last minute touchdown and conversion was icing on the cake.

Sloter looks like a real backup and Kirk wasn't awful, but we're gonna need him more accurate, even if under pressure.
Rieux
Franchise Player

Post by Rieux »

Obviously Sloter outplayed Siemian tonight; how realistic is it to think Sloter could claim the backup job? Any chance the Vikings use the Tennessee game to hold an open competition for QB2?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Offense moved the ball, which was nice and Treadwell had some nice catches. Cousins still missing some easy ones and doesn't push the ball downfield a lot. A ton of checkdowns.

Defensively I was surprised at how the front 4 got mauled at times but the playcalls looked pretty vanilla. When they dialed up the disguised blitzes, Seattle seemed to struggle.

Eric Wilson impressed tonight as was Harris. It will be interesting to see if Beebe makes the team. Siemian continues to look rather bad.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I think Beebe played himself on to the team. I also think kearse is the odd man out at safety.
I would also like to commend the officials for letting the guys play. I don't remember any really obvious bad calls. Brad Allen and his crew did a good job.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

So, how about our kicking situation
Courtney Cronin
‏Verified account @CourtneyRCronin
19m19 minutes ago

Mike Zimmer was sending a message to Daniel Carlson after he missed his first 42 yard field goal by going for a 2-point conversion after Latavius Murray's 2nd Q touchdown: "Just let him know that you're going to miss them, I'm going to go for two."
Season hasn't officially started and we already cut a kicker for one that doesn't appear to be consistent or even have the head coaches confidence. Is it really that hard to find a decent kicker? The thing that gets me is there has been some really consistent guys in college that don't get NFL looks cause they can't hit those really long 50+ yarders, but are super accurate at less than 50.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

I knew that all it would take was a qb that would throw him the ball. He was huge on 3rd down tonight. He meaning treadwell. Seems to have good chemistry with Kirk
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Boon wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:35 am I knew that all it would take was a qb that would throw him the ball. He was huge on 3rd down tonight. He meaning treadwell. Seems to have good chemistry with Kirk
I see it also. Like I said before, I think he (meaning Treadwell) is going to have a nice season this year.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Random thoughts:

Cousins needs to improve ball placement. He also looks uncomfortable scrambling. What was that slide out of bounds? Not impressed.
Diggs is so talented. I hope he stays healthy this year.
I thought the OL did ok in pass protection. Not so good in run blocking.
Not impressed with Richardson either. Was expecting him to make an immediate impact. Seemed like he was getting pushed around.
I thought the #1 D played OK. Two 3 and outs, two scoring drives.
I wanted to see more of Cook, but not really. I'm curious if his injury has affected any of his game. I'm willing to wait till week 1.
I would not want to get rid of Waynes. He's just as important to the D as Rhodes is IMO.
Siemian. 4/8 3yds Ugh. I'd cut him tomorrow. Reminds me of the person that shall not be named.
Sloter. I like his game. He's tall, athletic, has a strong arm, not afraid. Took a big shot in the back and brushed it off by throwing a TD pass on 4th and long. Potential to be starting in a few years IMO.
ST coverage. Needs to be fixed or will cost the Vikings games.
Really seemed like Seattle went deeper in their playbook than the Vikings in this one.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

QB play was very poor outside of Sloter. He got the ball out quickly and accurately.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

The 1s on offense still struggling for consistency. New qb, new OC (scheme), juggled OL, no Sporano. This kinda worries me as we cannot afford to get off to a slow start. Hope I'm just a nervous nelly and they are holding the cards VERY close.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Overall, the team looked a lot more engaged this week.

Two things stood out to me:
1) K Carlson. I honestly think we cut Kai too soon. He wasn't great either, but something about Carlson makes me uneasy. Even when he does make kicks, the ball seems to be hooking. He never gets a straight kick down the middle of the uprights. We spent a 5th rounder on this?

2) Sloter > Siemian, by a long shot. He just looks more motivated and confident. Loved his ability to get out of the pocket and throw against his body on that game winning drive. The kid looks sharp. Siemian just looks unenthused and a bit lost. Body language between the two couldn't be more different.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I was hoping they'd look better. Seattle's offensive line has some serious questions marks. Not as bad as in the past, but the Vikings Dline didn't really do squat. Griffen makes a difference, but not THAT much. Robison got eaten alive.

Offense is meh. I'm not too worried. I fully expected them to lag to start the season while Cousins finds his groove and he's a competitor and a 4th quarter type player.

There's no reason to keep Siemien in my opinion. Sloter can ball. No reason to waste a spot when you have 100 solid DB's, a surprisingly solid group of RB's and the need for OL safety cushions.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

It’s really hard to tell what we’re looking at. It seemed our playbook was vanilla and theirs was less so. Seattle also kept their starters in the game much longer.

One thing I think is interesting is our wide receiver competition. The last time we were this deep at the position has to be Moss, Carter, and Reed. In my opinion Kendall Wright has not shown much at all. Beebe has shown a lot. Zylstra and Weincke look like physical specimens out there. Could we convert Weincke to TE? Treadwell looks like he will contribute.

I know J Capp feels differently, but I’ll be disappointed and frankly befuddled if we keep Siemian over Sloter.
Rieux
Franchise Player

Post by Rieux »

I don't really understand what folks have seen in Wieneke on the field. He made a nice play on the go-ahead two-pointer, but what else? I guess I wouldn't object to him getting a spot on the practice squad, but I don't see what he's done to earn one of the 53.

Zylstra clearly has the track record from the CFL (shame it's with such an ugly Packers-looking franchise), though the injury problems he's had this month have really gotten in the way of him proving himself on NFL fields. If the coaches are really confident that he can regain a high level of performance, I guess I wouldn't mind seeing him on the roster, though possibly practice squad may make more sense.

Beebe, though, really looks like he could be a find. It's hard not to see him as a Welker/Edelman type—short, quick, savvy, good hands and routes, constantly finding the holes in the coverage. Players with that profile have had a whole lot of success in recent NFL seasons; I would very much like to see the Vikings keep him, and even give him a shot to prove himself in a regular-season game or two. If he gets to be as good as I would like to believe he could, the trio of Diggs, Thielen, and Beebe would seem to be basically unstoppable as a unit.

Finally, and not incidentally, what happened to Stacy Coley? He seemed to be doing really well, but he's been off the field for a while now—is there an injury problem that is threatening to keep him off the roster?