George Iloka and the Heavy Dime Package

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

George Iloka and the Heavy Dime Package

Post by fiestavike »

This is a pretty interesting read in light of the Vikings stockpiling safeties and the proliferation of the RPO and college spread principles offensively.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2017/ ... the-big-12
The dime defense is a football equivalent to the strategy of switching screens. The benefits of the package are numerous, particularly against spread concepts, largely because you have so many athletes on the field that can reasonably be asked to do different things.

You want to bring overload blitzes from either side of the formation with disguise? Well good luck doing that in base or nickel defense against a four-receiver set unless you are willing to either be obvious about who’s covering who or willing to drop a lumbering LB or DL into space on a slot receiver. But in a dime package? You might have five or six defenders hanging out in the middle of the field who all could end up being blitzes or coverage defenders after the snap and the offense can’t be sure.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Re: George Iloka and the Heavy Dime Package

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Sounds like a Zimmer type scheme.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

All of the NFL: "The Vikings can't possibly add more secondary depth."
Zimmer: "Hold my beer"
Seriously though, came here to post something similar, Zimmer has already stated in camp he was playing around with utilizing 3 safeties and Iloka is a tweener so he fits the role of a safety/LB. Also, Kearse has been held out of games under the "nicked up" guise but hasn't really missed many (or any?) practices. It's a weird situation and I think he may be a surprise cut, especially if he doesn't play Friday.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:51 pm Seriously though, came here to post something similar, Zimmer has already stated in camp he was playing around with utilizing 3 safeties and Iloka is a tweener so he fits the role of a safety/LB. Also, Kearse has been held out of games under the "nicked up" guise but hasn't really missed many (or any?) practices. It's a weird situation and I think he may be a surprise cut, especially if he doesn't play Friday.
That's an interesting thought. But if we assume it is true that they are holding him out while he is not injured, how does that correlate to some plan to release him? If anything being able to stash him on IR due to injury would benefit the team in that scenario. Perhaps they have big plans for him, and Harris or Sendejo is more likely to be released? To add to the confusion, I think Tray Matthews has looked promising. I suspect he'd make it to the PS though.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Also thinking Kearse might be the odd man out. Not unless they try and trade him.
Rick likes them extra 7th round draft picks.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

halfgiz wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:04 pm Also thinking Kearse might be the odd man out. Not unless they try and trade him.
Rick likes them extra 7th round draft picks.
Kearse is a beast on special teams though. This is an interesting move.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Iloka Quickly Comfortable with Vikings Playbook & TBD Role
EAGAN, Minn. — It was 10:59 a.m. on Wednesday when George Iloka jogged onto the practice field at Twin Cities Orthopedics Performance Center in a white No. 28 jersey with no name plate.

The 28-year-old safety spent the next two hours or so doing through drills, including lining up with the second-team defense and helping on the scout team, while meeting his new teammates.

Then it was off to meetings as Iloka, a free agent who signed with the Vikings earlier in the morning, dove headfirst into getting acclimated to his new surroundings.

“I woke up at 5 [a.m.], got to the airport at 5:30, had a flight at 7 and got off the plane and started practicing,” said Iloka, who added the Vikings first contacted him late Tuesday evening. “That’s the business, and speaking with [Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer] made me comfortable.

“Obviously, how late into camp it is with like 10 days, two weeks left, whatever it is … it doesn’t give you much time to pick up other systems and playbooks and things like that,” Iloka added. “I think I’m a smart player, I could but obviously knowing the system here and knowing Zim’ and kind of what he wants made it a little easier.”
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

George Iloka is a towering, rangy, versatile, disciplined and smart defender who Mike Zimmer can plug-and-play all over his defense. A thread:

Iloka thread on twitter with gifs- Nick Olson
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

That was cool. Thanks for posting it.