Preseason Week 2 Post Game Thoughts

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Preseason Week 2 Post Game Thoughts

Post by Cliff »

Not really in a position to post much but wanted to get it started.

Offense was ugly, I can say that much. More offensive linemen go down ...
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Preseason Week 2 Post Game Thoughts

Post by Purple Domination »

My biggest take away is that these new defensive penalties are ridiculous. They remind me of the prior catch rule: illogical, impossible to define, and inconsistent in enforcement.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Fundamentally the offense and special teams were really bad. I am very concerned about the punt coverage. Forbath probably kicked himself out of a job, at least with the Vikings. The Vikings should see if they can trade him, but I'll if anyone is that desperate to give anything up for him. I like him, but Carlson has been so much better. I suppose they will wait until the end of the preseason though, just time make sure Carlson is legit.
The new rules are asinine. Half of the penalties called today were bogus, and that is for both teams.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Yeah I get calling more penalties in preseason but how the hell is this a penalty?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Bottlegate/s ... 85/video/1
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

That was preseason football at it's worst. If that's how the league is going to call games, we're in for a tough season full of frustrations.

We looked bad on offense and ST, in lots of predictable ways: our OL is weak and that is a serious defect.

Our backup RBs looked great, on the bright side. That'll be a tough decision between Roc Thomas and Boone. I like them both quite a lot.

Edit to add: one of the most entertaining moments was when Cousins got sacked and the DE does his hip thrust dance and gets flagged. Must be the junior high boy inside me, but I thought that was hilarious! :lol:
Tavern_Wino
Practice Squad

Post by Tavern_Wino »

I know it's preseason and Special Teams will be better come week 1, but regardless of roster placement they have looked atrocious both games. Tyler Lockett has to be licking his chops for Friday's game. Thankfully it is only preseason.
Boomer Sooner
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

S197 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:56 pm Yeah I get calling more penalties in preseason but how the hell is this a penalty?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Bottlegate/s ... 85/video/1
The extra slam into the ground. Cant do that.
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:12 pmThe extra slam into the ground. Cant do that.
The "extra" slam into the ground? You mean tackling him? Terrible call.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

A Review of Minnesota's Performance from Preseason Week 2-Nick Olson (with gifs and PFF grades)
On 18 snaps, Hunter recorded two run stops and seven pressures (one sack, three QB hits, three QB hurries):To put into context how insane that is, elite edge rushers (like Von Miller) generate pressure on roughly 18% of snaps.Hunter generated pressure on 54% of snaps.
Boone rushed 13 times for 91 yards and a touchdown. When the Vikings handed the ball off to Boone, they averaged 7 yards per play; when they did anything other than hand the ball off to Boone, they averaged 3.3 yards per play....

We knew Mike Boone was an elite athlete: he was second only to Saquon Barkley in SPARQ among RBs. He ran a 4.45-second 40-yard-dash (81%), had an 11’7″ broad jump (99%) and a 42″ vertical (98%). By the way, the combine record for broad jump among RBs is 11’3″; Boone beat that by nearly a full standard deviation. His burst is (literally) off-the-charts.
The Vikings went into the game down four starting offensive linemen (Easton, Elflein, Remmers and Hill), facing arguably the best pass rush in the NFL. And despite the Jaguars keeping their starters in for half the game, the Vikings held up fairly well.

Brian O’Neill was a particular bright spot: he had a perfect game (allowing zero sacks, hits or pressures) for the second week in a row, and additionally did a great job in the run game pinning his defender and connecting at the second level to create chunk plays.
Rest at link above
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

YikesVikes wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:12 pm The extra slam into the ground. Cant do that.
So defenders are supposed to defy the laws of physics? How do you deliver an "extra slam" when your feet don't leave the ground? He didn't land with all of his weight on him, you can clearly see his knee touch the ground. Didn't lead with the crown of the helmet, hit him square in the shoulder/chest.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

S197 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:47 pm So defenders are supposed to defy the laws of physics? How do you deliver an "extra slam" when your feet don't leave the ground? He didn't land with all of his weight on him, you can clearly see his knee touch the ground. Didn't lead with the crown of the helmet, hit him square in the shoulder/chest.
He drove his weight on top of him. Even Zimmer agreed. He was fine until the very end when her piled his weight top of him.
https://www.12up.com/posts/6147622-vide ... on-vikings
Re-watch the video and tell me you don't see the late drive into the ground. That's against the rules now. Just gotta accept it and move on. Pretending that he didn't isn't going to help us.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Brian O’Neill was a particular bright spot: he had a perfect game (allowing zero sacks, hits or pressures) for the second week in a row, and additionally did a great job in the run game pinning his defender and connecting at the second level to create chunk plays.
Speaking of Brian O'Neill, here's an analysis tweet with gifs on Brian O'Neil

https://twitter.com/LukeBraunNFL/status ... 94944?s=19
Last edited by 808vikingsfan on Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

YikesVikes wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:57 pm He drove his weight on top of him. Even Zimmer agreed. He was fine until the very end when her piled his weight top of him.
https://www.12up.com/posts/6147622-vide ... on-vikings
Re-watch the video and tell me you don't see the late drive into the ground. That's against the rules now. Just gotta accept it and move on. Pretending that he didn't isn't going to help us.
The title to your link seems to agree with me. As does about a dozen others I've seen. It's momentum, show me a video of you or anyone else running full speed taking someone to the ground and not having that happen. If you look at the still frame from the beginning of that article, you can clearly see Williams is to the side. Half his weight isn't on the QB. Also, extra implies more than one. I don't even see one slam, as I said, his feet don't leave the ground.

Slam and tackle are not the same thing. A tackle is part of football. A slam is where you pick someone up off their feet and drive them into the ground. If it's so black and white, the NFL should be able to release hard tackles that are within the rule showing what sort of technique they want.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:05 pm The title to your link seems to agree with me. As does about a dozen others I've seen. It's momentum, show me a video of you or anyone else running full speed taking someone to the ground and not having that happen. If you look at the still frame from the beginning of that article, you can clearly see Williams is to the side. Half his weight isn't on the QB. Also, extra implies more than one. I don't even see one slam, as I said, his feet don't leave the ground.

Slam and tackle are not the same thing. A tackle is part of football. A slam is where you pick someone up off their feet and drive them into the ground. If it's so black and white, the NFL should be able to release hard tackles that are within the rule showing what sort of technique they want.
Zimmer's comment pissed me off more than the penalty did. It was a perfect hit and Zimmer is trying to act all kiss-assy to the league for some reason. Stand up for your player when the call is as bad as it was. Don't start trying to get calls in your favor by being an idiotic brown noser.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Football is violent (like the UFC). If you don't like that, don't watch it and don't play it. If the NFL keeps going they will destroy their own sport. Good riddance. That might open the door for some real football again.

In addition to this, it should be said that if they want to reduce head injuries, they need to adjust the helmets, not the rules.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins