Easton Out for the Year

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Easton Out for the Year

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:34 pm Rather than continue this stupid argument about coaching, why don't we play GM and look at actual options.

Option 1 -- stick with who we have
I'll let others talk about that.

Option 2 -- Free Agents
Jahari Evans -- He's older (35) but he's available. He's also tough. From 2006 to 2012, he never missed a game, and he missed only two with Green Bay last year. Solid player who's probably not getting interest because of his age.

Luke Joeckel -- Probably a Matt Kalil situation, where a very high draft pick (2nd overall in 2013) just didn't pan out, but he's out there and unsigned. Maybe a change of coaching would help (and hey, YikesVikes, since he's not a low-round draft pick, maybe our coaches could do better with him).

Alex Boone -- Part of the suckitude that was the 2016 Vikings' O-line, but hey ... he's unsigned.

Option 3 -- Trade for somebody
Chance Warmack, Philadelphia -- Pretty good player who was a first-rounder in 2011 and played several years for the Titans. He's currently listed 2nd at left guard on Philly's depth chart. My fear here is that the Eagles would hammer us in a trade here in much the same way they hammered us in the Sam Bradford deal. But he's a decent player who hasn't reached his 27th birthday.

Thoughts?

Evans would be my wish. Warmack would probably require a 3rd or higher. No need to make Philly richer. I rather bring in a guy that previously performed at a high level that may be on the decline.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

YikesVikes wrote:Evans would be my wish. Warmack would probably require a 3rd or higher. No need to make Philly richer. I rather bring in a guy that previously performed at a high level that may be on the decline.
Evans would be my choice, too.

I know a couple years ago we tried signing an older vet in Jake Long who ended up playing very little (and very poorly) before getting injured for the year. But Evans has shown an ability to stay healthy, and he's been a very solid starter in this league. If we could get one good season out of him, that would allow us to draft (cough, cough) a more talented guy next year. Or maybe he could help accelerate the development of a guy like Danny Isodora, who by all reports is progressing nicely this offseason.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

YikesVikes wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:55 pm Again...
Our starting oline last year are not the young, late rounders we are trying to coach up this year. The stats you use to prove that we can develop young later rounders are from an oline full of veterans and 1 3rd rounder. The one guy that you can argue for is Easton and he was the player I wanted to address the most. Let's try and get on the same page.

You keep harping on the eye test as if that was my only proof in the statement. I pointed to PFF that you dismissed and then you dismissed my own opinion. Your stats do not tell the whole story. We have had a substantial reduction in QB maneuverability in case you missed it.

Let me remind you.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... ut-of-sack

http://www.nfl.com/videos/minnesota-vik ... -yard-gain
I don't want to carry this on any more, but I disagree with your statement that we've taken a step back in QB maneuverability. I don't need to watch those videos ... thanks for providing, but they're videos I've watched over and over (because they were awesome plays). That being said, Kirk Cousins is a pretty mobile guy himself and probably throws on the run better than Keenum. It's actually one of his strengths. He's not Rodgers or Wilson, but he hurts teams when he gets outside the pocket. The knock on Cousins has been poor decision making in clutch situations. I'm optimistic that he'll take a big step forward this year in that part of his game. He's got a great defense, so the onus won't be on him to do everything, like it was in Washington. If you recall, poor decision making was also a weakness of Case Keenum ... he certainly corrected that with the Vikings. I have to believe Cousins can do the same.

As for O-line coaching and their relative ranking in the league, we'll just agree to disagree. I know a lot of people like PFF. My problem with them is that they don't disclose anything about their methodology, and they don't tell you who's doing the evaluating. So in the end, it feels like the opinion of ... who? People who know the individual assignments of each player? Doubtful. They get a lot of things right, but they also get a lot of things wrong.

As for the eye test, that's totally opinion. I'm not trashing your opinion. I'm just reasoning that for an offense to move up about 15 places in the rankings from one season to the next, it's hard to say it was in spite of the O-line. Again, the only difference between '16 and '17 was a) Case Keenum at QB, who played well but was not, in my opinion, a substantial move forward, and b) the offensive line.

Again, it's an unwinnable argument. And in the end, we both want the same thing ... a Lombardi trophy for our Vikings. Let's put our energies toward more productive conversations. Sound like a plan?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:43 pm I don't want to carry this on any more, but I disagree with your statement that we've taken a step back in QB maneuverability. I don't need to watch those videos ... thanks for providing, but they're videos I've watched over and over (because they were awesome plays). That being said, Kirk Cousins is a pretty mobile guy himself and probably throws on the run better than Keenum. It's actually one of his strengths. He's not Rodgers or Wilson, but he hurts teams when he gets outside the pocket. The knock on Cousins has been poor decision making in clutch situations. I'm optimistic that he'll take a big step forward this year in that part of his game. He's got a great defense, so the onus won't be on him to do everything, like it was in Washington. If you recall, poor decision making was also a weakness of Case Keenum ... he certainly corrected that with the Vikings. I have to believe Cousins can do the same.

As for O-line coaching and their relative ranking in the league, we'll just agree to disagree. I know a lot of people like PFF. My problem with them is that they don't disclose anything about their methodology, and they don't tell you who's doing the evaluating. So in the end, it feels like the opinion of ... who? People who know the individual assignments of each player? Doubtful. They get a lot of things right, but they also get a lot of things wrong.

As for the eye test, that's totally opinion. I'm not trashing your opinion. I'm just reasoning that for an offense to move up about 15 places in the rankings from one season to the next, it's hard to say it was in spite of the O-line. Again, the only difference between '16 and '17 was a) Case Keenum at QB, who played well but was not, in my opinion, a substantial move forward, and b) the offensive line.

Again, it's an unwinnable argument. And in the end, we both want the same thing ... a Lombardi trophy for our Vikings. Let's put our energies toward more productive conversations. Sound like a plan?
:govikes:
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:30 pm Evans would be my choice, too.

I know a couple years ago we tried signing an older vet in Jake Long who ended up playing very little (and very poorly) before getting injured for the year. But Evans has shown an ability to stay healthy, and he's been a very solid starter in this league. If we could get one good season out of him, that would allow us to draft (cough, cough) a more talented guy next year. Or maybe he could help accelerate the development of a guy like Danny Isodora, who by all reports is progressing nicely this offseason.
The Jake long situation was a bit different. Evans wants to play and played decently last season by all accounts. Good O-linemen can play much longer than almost any position (ignoring the recent group of Qbs playing till 60). I would be happy to add him to our stable as I think he would be a good addition.

I hope Danny can take a step forward this season as I liked his game in college. His footwork needs help. Collins is not the answer at OG from what I have seen this season, he lacks the mass to stop most DTs from bull rush him. Hope you are right about Kurt's mobility.