Vikings Agree to Terms with Danielle Hunter on Contract Extension

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Thought this deserved it's own topic;

EAGAN, Minn. — One of the NFL’s best young pass rushers isn’t going anywhere.

The Vikings announced that they will sign defensive end Danielle Hunter on Wednesday to a multi-year contract extension.

Hunter, a third-round pick in 2015, has 25.5 sacks over the first three years of his professional career. That stat ranks first among all players who entered the league in 2015.

The Texas native had just 4.5 sacks during his three-year stay at LSU, but he has eclipsed that total in each of his first three seasons with the Vikings.

Hunter had 6.0 sacks as a rookie before setting his career high with 12.5 in 2016.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Vikings Agree to Terms with Danielle Hunter on Contract Extension

Post by PurpleMustReign »

This is good. I wonder what that means for Barr though... Isn't he a year ahead if Hunter?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Details

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1011982906644983808
The #Vikings agreed to terms with DE Danielle Hunter on a 5-year, $72M extension, source said. $40M in guarantees. He gets a $15M signing bonus .Big-time money for a budding talent.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:25 am This is good. I wonder what that means for Barr though... Isn't he a year ahead if Hunter?
I doubt it has changed anything for Barr, really. It wasn't a "one or the other" type of situation.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:25 am This is good. I wonder what that means for Barr though... Isn't he a year ahead if Hunter?
He is but both of their contracts expire this year due to Barr getting the extra year for being a 1st round pick.

I have the suspicion that the rest of the league values Barr more than the Vikings. Pro Bowl pick, just missed the top 100... I can see him getting paid more elsewhere. Then again, we don't really have anyone we're grooming like we do behind Waynes. There's also Sheldon Richardson, which is another variable to deal with.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Vikings extend Diggs and wait until after the season to deal with Barr/Waynes.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

This is a good job by the Vikings

With Richardson joining the front line, Hunter could be set up for a huge season. In that case, he would have commanded big bucks on the open market, more than he got from the Vikings. This is pretty much a hometown discount.

It also tells me something about Hunter. He could've played this season out and gone all-in for even more money, but he publicly stated he wanted to get this done before training camp so that he could just concentrate on football. It tells me that the Vikings' push to draft and sign high-character guys is paying dividends.

Ben Goessling believes that Barr will stay with the Vikings. His agent represents several Vikes, including Harrison Smith and Kyle Rudolph, among others. The agent has a good relationship with the Vikings' front office. It's one man's opinion, but a man with access.

I'd be more worried about Diggs. After his huge moment last year, I'm worried that he might forget where he came from, especially if he has a big statistical season with Cousins throwing to him.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:41 pm This is a good job by the Vikings

With Richardson joining the front line, Hunter could be set up for a huge season. In that case, he would have commanded big bucks on the open market, more than he got from the Vikings. This is pretty much a hometown discount.

It also tells me something about Hunter. He could've played this season out and gone all-in for even more money, but he publicly stated he wanted to get this done before training camp so that he could just concentrate on football. It tells me that the Vikings' push to draft and sign high-character guys is paying dividends.

Ben Goessling believes that Barr will stay with the Vikings. His agent represents several Vikes, including Harrison Smith and Kyle Rudolph, among others. The agent has a good relationship with the Vikings' front office. It's one man's opinion, but a man with access.

I'd be more worried about Diggs. After his huge moment last year, I'm worried that he might forget where he came from, especially if he has a big statistical season with Cousins throwing to him.
By looking at Diggs history, my feeling is he'd like to stay with the team that believed in him and drafted him. Correct me if I'm wrong but in college, he received offers from bigger schools but elected to stay in Maryland. Of course, other factors could have played a part but I believe loyalty is important to him.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Really happy about this one. Hunter is still very young and hasnt even hit his prime yet. I hope Diggs is next in line and I hope it's sooner than later. I'm fine with letting Barr walk
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:45 am Really happy about this one. Hunter is still very young and hasnt even hit his prime yet. I hope Diggs is next in line and I hope it's sooner than later. I'm fine with letting Barr walk
I definitely see it as Hunter >> Diggs >> Barr too.

I'd love to be able to keep Barr though.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Cliff wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:06 am I definitely see it as Hunter >> Diggs >> Barr too.

I'd love to be able to keep Barr though.
I just have a feeling that Barr is underrated... He and Kendricks have a connection and it makes both if them very effective. I would hate to break that up.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:36 pm I just have a feeling that Barr is underrated... He and Kendricks have a connection and it makes both if them very effective. I would hate to break that up.
I think Barr is a great player and I'd love to keep him ... just not more than Hunter or Diggs lol
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Everybody is going to have to pay their Kirk Cousins tax if they want to keep this team together. Take a little less, be willing to re-negotiate...And Kirk is gonna have to take everybody to the steak house more than once. Hopefully he has the leadership skills to know that re-negotiation is going to come his way in a couple years too.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Hunter is only 23. :lol: My goodness...I bet he's top 5 in sacks in the NFL for probably 3 of those next 5 years and will still be only 28. Great signing by Minnesota and bravo to Hunter and his hardwork. Hopefully he signs with the Vikes again in 2023 after being a then known and well-sought-after commodity.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Very happy to hear of this extension. Out of the guys being discussed he was the one I most wanted inked to an extension. I thought he was a sleeper coming out of college and was pumped when the Vikings got him. Also my last name is Hunter and I just bought his jersey last year lol. Not very often your favorite team has a player with your last name! Next up for me would be Diggs. He's a quality guy who I think is going to have a great year.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Love the extension. I would imagine Diggs is in line. Spielman did say he has been in conversations with both Diggs and Barrs agent but it's a no brainer IMO. Lock up Diggs now
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri