Dalvin Cook breakdown and expectations

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Dalvin Cook breakdown and expectations

Post by Maelstrom88 »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... mTqmJKrT89

Couldn't believe they landed him in round 2 last year. What are your guys expectations for him this season? I think he will have 1,300 yards.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Dalvin Cook breakdown and expectations

Post by Cliff »

I'm afraid that he won't be the same RB after the injury. I'm also worried that even if he is the same he won't last. Non-contact injuries like the one he had don't inspire a lot of confidence for me.

I hope he can stay healthy and retain that spark he had but I'm glad we've still got Murray on the team.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Cliff wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:00 am I'm afraid that he won't be the same RB after the injury. I'm also worried that even if he is the same he won't last. Non-contact injuries like the one he had don't inspire a lot of confidence for me.

I hope he can stay healthy and retain that spark he had but I'm glad we've still got Murray on the team.
This was one of the picks thats I really wanted a few years ago. I couldnt believe Rick took the chance. We NEEDED a RB that year, and the pick was based on need, a day one starter, which I like to see the higher level picks be for the most part. I think Cook will be like AD in recovery and performance when he returns. I dont think 1000 yards is out of the questions, but a lot depends on the Oline, which I dont think we improved much. Its so odd to me that 2 of our star players, Cousins and Cook got such little help on the line this year. I doubt O'Neil sees the field barring injuries.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

After G, I think RB is our biggest question mark. It remains to be seen what we have in Cook, Murray is a 3rd string quality back. If we don't find a 3rd back capable of surpassing Murray, and Cook isn't all the way back, that's going to hurt this team's chances.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Murray was pretty good for us down the stretch last year. It took him about half the season to find his stride though. No reason to not expect him to continue the trend in 2018. The bigger question is who will replace McKinnon as the change of pace / skat type guy. Hopefully it will be Cook.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

He fell because of injury concerns (ball security and off field issues too but that's more tertiary IMO). In that respect, he's very much going to be a boom or bust type of pick. If he stays healthy, I can see him being one of the tops in the league. Or he's similar to a guy like Bob Sanders, who has incredible talent, but just can't seem to stay on the field.

I don't see him as a middle of the road type of RB.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I think he will be just fine after the injury, but that's just conjecture on my part. I'd like to stay away from expectations because that's how I/we get burned. I will tell you that I expect him to either take the league by storm and provide that additional playmaker on offense that they need to take the next step and get to the SB, but I can also say that I also expect that he starts off as what I just described and gets hurt again deep into the season.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

fiestavike wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:44 am Murray is a 3rd string quality back.
He may not be your every down back, but I think he’s certainly a starting caliber. As others mentioned, he was slow to start last year after the foot injury, but I thought he was great in the back half of the season.

If Cook stays healthy, I’m not worried about RB this year.
Tavern_Wino
Practice Squad

Post by Tavern_Wino »

I just want a full season of Cook. Dude is a stud.

The team managed to make it all the way to the NFCCG without a star caliber weapon in the backfield. I still think had Cook played against Philly the pressure on Case the blitz wouldn't have been as efficient by Philadelphia.
Boomer Sooner
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Tavern_Wino wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:31 pm I just want a full season of Cook. Dude is a stud.

The team managed to make it all the way to the NFCCG without a star caliber weapon in the backfield. I still think had Cook played against Philly the pressure on Case the blitz wouldn't have been as efficient by Philadelphia.
A good run game is definitely necessary to take pressure off of the QB. I'm not sure it would have been the difference against Philly but you never know.
Tavern_Wino
Practice Squad

Post by Tavern_Wino »

Cliff wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:03 pm A good run game is definitely necessary to take pressure off of the QB. I'm not sure it would have been the difference against Philly but you never know.
You're probably right. The way Philly was blitzing so recklessly, it might not have mattered. I just think the team would have been able to put up more points than they did. Hindsight is 20/20. Who knows....

I hope the PURP can see them again, in another meaningful game. Them ugly green birds need to be speared.

SKOL!
Boomer Sooner