2018 Vikings Free Agency Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Vikefan60
Backup

Re: 2018 Vikings Free Agency Thread

Post by Vikefan60 »

Norv Zimmer wrote:I think they keep Barr and let Waynes go, maybe they find a way to keep them both and let Hunter go, which i would like to see happen.
Unfortunately (or fortunately), we can't let Waynes go until we have a replacement. Too risky. Fifth year option is very expensive, but I think we have to pay it in this case. If we really don't think he is the right long term answer, then we likely have to pick a CB in round one this year and hope he beats Waynes out of a job by the end of 2019. I would rather just risk having to overpay Waynes, and invest in the O line. CB may be the third most overpaid position in the league (after QB and WR). Did I mention that I think we have to pay Diggs?
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Vikefan60 wrote:
Norv Zimmer wrote:I think they keep Barr and let Waynes go, maybe they find a way to keep them both and let Hunter go, which i would like to see happen.
Unfortunately (or fortunately), we can't let Waynes go until we have a replacement. Too risky. Fifth year option is very expensive, but I think we have to pay it in this case. If we really don't think he is the right long term answer, then we likely have to pick a CB in round one this year and hope he beats Waynes out of a job by the end of 2019. I would rather just risk having to overpay Waynes, and invest in the O line. CB may be the third most overpaid position in the league (after QB and WR). Did I mention that I think we have to pay Diggs?
I think there us a way to lay them all, it's just a matter of the players working with the team. Hopefully all can be learned re-signed for prices that won't handicap the team in the following years.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

We just picked up Waynes 5th year option.
Vikings exercised CB Trae Waynes' fifth-year option for 2019.

The option year will be worth $9.069 million and is guaranteed for injury. Waynes struggled to establish himself early in his career, but he came on strong as a 16-game starter last season. If he puts together another strong campaign, the Vikings will likely look to extend him next offseason.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

The Vikings announce Terence Newman is coming back for another season. He’ll be 40 years old just before the start of the regular season.
Ben Goessling, via Twitter

Also just saw that WR Caleb Jones suspended for 4 games for violating substance policy! WTH?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Texas Vike wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:19 pm
The Vikings announce Terence Newman is coming back for another season. He’ll be 40 years old just before the start of the regular season.
Ben Goessling, via Twitter

Also just saw that WR Caleb Jones suspended for 4 games for violating substance policy! WTH?

PEDs but yeah.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Wow our CB room is absolutely stacked!

Rhodes
Waynes
Alexander
Hughes
Newman

Along with safeties of Smith and Sendejo

Smart move by Spielman and Zim when the NFC is loaded and we play QBs of Rodgers (twice), Stafford (twice), Wentz, Brady, Brees, Garoppolo, Goff and Wilson. And will have to face some again in the playoffs
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:06 pm Wow our CB room is absolutely stacked!

Rhodes
Waynes
Alexander
Hughes
Newman
We also signed CB Hill from Texas, who went undrafted due to his month-long suspension at the end of his junior year. Not sure what his exact character concerns are, but talent-wise, it sounds like he has a shot to make the 53. Sherels' spot seems very much in jeopardy this year.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Texas Vike wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:19 pm We also signed CB Hill from Texas, who went undrafted due to his month-long suspension at the end of his junior year. Not sure what his exact character concerns are, but talent-wise, it sounds like he has a shot to make the 53. Sherels' spot seems very much in jeopardy this year.
Sounds like he went undrafted because he failed the drug test at the combine.
Holton Hill Reportedly Failed Drug Test at Combine
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

808vikingsfan wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 5:09 pm Sounds like he went undrafted because he failed the drug test at the combine.
:ganja: :ganja: :ganja: :ganja: :ganja: :ganja: :ganja: :ganja: :ganja: :ganja: :ganja: :ganja:

Man, the guy just doesn't learn his lesson.

Also: why the hark can't dailynorseman writers spell marijuana correctly? They spelled it marajuana like 10 billion times in that article. :appl: First time I thought it was a typo, but then I realized they just don't know.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

49ers released Zane Beadles, G. Struggled filling in at Tackle, journeyman type guard.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

@TomPelissero (Tom Pelissero):

Former #Saints and #Colts DT David Parry is visiting the #Vikings today, source said.
He has off field issues and is coming off an injury but the cupboard is bare for NT's right now. He could be depth behind Linval assuming he can get his act together and stay healthy.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

After seeing what's happened and basically seeing how this team's roster is going to end up looking like and having the time to process all of it, I have to say that I'm pretty happy with all of it. We spent a lot of money, almost all of it, but we got the best quarterback in the lot that we could have come up with who's still young enough that we could have him for years and years. We extended Kendricks, we had a decent enough draft I thought and while I don't expect a bunch of guys from this draft to come in and be day one starters, our roster is finally at a place where it's almost unlikely that any of them would be day one starters other than maybe O'Neill (and I'm not even sure of that).

I had my doubts about Kirk Cousins, but we signed him for less money than I thought he was going to get from us, and we're only committing to 3 years and he's just has such a superior resume over the others that we were rumored to have been considering. Three straight seasons of at least 4,000 yards and 25 TDs is something that I could definitely go for and considering our talent at receiver and the fact that our defense will be giving him better opportunities most likely, I could see those numbers being even better when he's here. If that's what we're in for, then the Packers can pretty much kiss the division championships goodbye for the next three seasons or so.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

808vikingsfan wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 5:09 pm Sounds like he went undrafted because he failed the drug test at the combine.
I figured. You'd think this wouldn't be such a controversial issue in 2018, but I know it has been a big deal and I guess I can see it because your employer probably thinks that if you can't dedicate yourself to being clean for a test then maybe you're lazy or something. Still, not a big deal IMO, at least it's not something else. I think the Bengals got Burfict in UFAs after he flunked a drug test, and while he has issues with his temper (maybe they should let him keep smoking? lol) on the field, his production has always been good. Would be nice if we ended up with a steal like that.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Vikings signed DT David Parry, formerly of the Saints.

A 2015 fifth-round pick of the Colts, Parry started all 32 games his first two seasons before off-field issues and an ankle injury sabotaged his 2017. He's a solid flier for the Vikings behind Linval Joseph and Sheldon Richardson.
This couldnt sound more identical to the Tom Johnson signing we had a few years ago. I like it. Solid player when healthy and not in trouble. Similar to Johnson. Low risk high reward type signing on Spielmans part
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Slick Rick wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:44 pm I figured. You'd think this wouldn't be such a controversial issue in 2018, but I know it has been a big deal and I guess I can see it because your employer probably thinks that if you can't dedicate yourself to being clean for a test then maybe you're lazy or something. Still, not a big deal IMO, at least it's not something else. I think the Bengals got Burfict in UFAs after he flunked a drug test, and while he has issues with his temper (maybe they should let him keep smoking? lol) on the field, his production has always been good. Would be nice if we ended up with a steal like that.
Also not great to have your players getting arrested, and it is still illegal in most states.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins