Vikings Draft Picks

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings Draft Picks

Post by YikesVikes »

I've stated why I didn't like the pick. I'm not the only one. Plenty of "credible" sources have said the same thing about the guy. I posted one grade, and you went ballistic. Some people drink the koolaid and everything the organization does is the right move and others don't. I give credit where credit is due. When we signed Our new 3 tech, I praised Rick. Last season when we snatched up Bucky late, i game him an A+, despite it now working out. Some of us do not like project players that have a chance to be decent with our 2nd round pick. You blindly agree with whatever Rick does and that's ok too.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote:I've stated why I didn't like the pick. I'm not the only one. Plenty of "credible" sources have said the same thing about the guy. I posted one grade, and you went ballistic. Some people drink the koolaid and everything the organization does is the right move and others don't. I give credit where credit is due. When we signed Our new 3 tech, I praised Rick. Last season when we snatched up Bucky late, i game him an A+, despite it now working out. Some of us do not like project players that have a chance to be decent with our 2nd round pick. You blindly agree with whatever Rick does and that's ok too.
Blindly agree? You're dead wrong. I've criticized him for plenty of things. But think what you want. I'm done talking with you
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Eh we grabbed the kicker from Auburn! Bye Kai!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

S197 wrote:Eh we grabbed the kicker from Auburn! Bye Kai!

I'm glad that Kai will have competition at the very least. He made me so uneasy last year.

Mayock had some good things to say about him.

Did anyone catch the odd sounding trades that we pulled for this pick? Something with the jets.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Texas Vike wrote:

I'm glad that Kai will have competition at the very least. He made me so uneasy last year.

Did anyone catch the odd sounding trades that we pulled for this pick? Something with the jets.
Vikings traded 167 and a 7th for 157. Then they traded top pick in 6th plus another 6th for 167 and the 7th they had just traded to the Jets.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Texas Vike wrote:

lol yeah they are saying they haven't seen a trade like that since the movie draft day. If I'm looking at this correctly, we gained two 5ths for two 6ths basically?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

lol yeah they are saying they haven't seen a trade like that since the movie draft day. If I'm looking at this correctly, we gained two 5ths for two 6ths basically?

Saw this on Mel's board: "We swapped #180 and #204 for #167 and #225 with the Jets."
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:

When all said and done, I think we traded first 6th for their 5th (157). Trader Rick strikes again. Its a bit like the scene at the beginning of Paper Moon. We got more in change than we gave them at the register.

* no wait, I think we also gave up another 6th too.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Chad Reuter of NFL.com has our draft ranked at an A- right now.
Terence Newman is no longer with the team, and Mackensie Alexander needed competition in the slot, so the Vikings ignored the offensive line need to pick Hughes. He's a great athlete with some off-field concerns and only average size. He should excel inside for the Vikings. O'Neill needs to get stronger in the lower body to prevent losing leverage, but could end up a good investment in time. GM Rick Spielman moved out of the third round, but only down eight spots, and gained a sixth-round pick in the process. (Overall Grade: A-) -- Chad Reuter
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Chad Reuter of NFL.com has our draft ranked at an A- right now.
Terence Newman is no longer with the team, and Mackensie Alexander needed competition in the slot, so the Vikings ignored the offensive line need to pick Hughes. He's a great athlete with some off-field concerns and only average size. He should excel inside for the Vikings. O'Neill needs to get stronger in the lower body to prevent losing leverage, but could end up a good investment in time. GM Rick Spielman moved out of the third round, but only down eight spots, and gained a sixth-round pick in the process. (Overall Grade: A-) -- Chad Reuter
He wrote that before day 3. He also seemed to grade rather generously to nearly every team, which isn't surprising given his employer.
Demarates
Backup

Post by Demarates »

I like Hughes & Holmes and I get the impression Conklin is quite a steal in the 4th round.

But I'm not yet sold on O'Neill and even if he turns out well just one addition to our O-line seems too little, doesn't it ?
Tene Quod Bene
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

There are some solid OG prospects out there still. Tony Adams out of NC St., Jamil Demby out of Main and Colby Gossett out of App St. All 3 have starting potential. Gossett is a very strong OG. Put up 32 reps on the bench. Demby is a great athlete and is solid in both the run and pass. And Adams isn't the strongest guy in the world but has great body control and the leader of their offensive line
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Not a fan of drafting kickers. Hope he turns out to be worth it, though, cuz I'm also not a fan of Forbath.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Demarates
Backup

Post by Demarates »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:There are some solid OG prospects out there still. Tony Adams out of NC St., Jamil Demby out of Main and Colby Gossett out of App St. All 3 have starting potential. Gossett is a very strong OG. Put up 32 reps on the bench. Demby is a great athlete and is solid in both the run and pass. And Adams isn't the strongest guy in the world but has great body control and the leader of their offensive line
Yeah, I had my eye on Gossett too.
Tene Quod Bene
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Not one interior lineman ?

Not impressed with this draft at all
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!