2018 NFL Draft Thread

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: 2018 NFL Draft Thread

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

dead_poet wrote:Per Rick, the Vikings fielded a number of calls 5-6 picks before their spot. No calls while on the clock though. Wynn went six picks before them. Other than Bryant, I'm not sure who they were standing pat to land. I wonder if Rick could do it again if he would've accepted one of those calls, depending on the offer.

I think we're all nervous at guard, though I expect Easton to start at LG. Hopefully we can get someone decent in R2.
We really need a RG so Remmers can move back to RT. I guess we have to trust in Rick to get it done.
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

I think this is an ok pick. We can always get guards later on.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:Per Rick, the Vikings fielded a number of calls 5-6 picks before their spot. No calls while on the clock though. Wynn went six picks before them. Other than Bryant, I'm not sure who they were standing pat to land. I wonder if Rick could do it again if he would've accepted one of those calls, depending on the offer.

I think we're all nervous at guard, though I expect Easton to start at LG. Hopefully we can get someone decent in R2.
Easton is passable, but I was hoping we'd see the completion of an OL project that could beast at the point of attack and combine that with running lots of the misdirection nonsense DeFilippo is likely to bring over. I like that we have good technicians and good athleticism along the line, but come playoff time, I want way more physicallity than the Vikings were able to muster last season. Daniels probably fits in well with what we had last year, but I don't know if he solves the problem I see with our unit. Hernandez maybe doesn't fit as well, and probably has a lot more questions technically, but brings some of the physicallity we need. Given how they might fit on our team, there may not be as big a gap on the Vikings draft board between those guys and the next few interior linemen on their board. If Nelson was tier 1, and maybe Wynn, Ragnow and Price Tier 2, its possible they have Hernandez, Daniels, Williams, Braden Smith, Austin Corbett, and Martinas Rankin all much closer to the same tier than popular journalist rankings may have them, which would certainly help justify going BPA if they feel Hughes is a special talent.

There may not be any interior guys left in this draft who are going to be able to come in and be immediate starters and upgrades for the Vikings, and that could include Hernandez (scheme fit) and Daniels (strength). I'm not saying that's the case, but trying to understand the decision to skip taking a player at the most glaring position of need.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Connor Williams, Daniels, and Hernandez will all be gone. Maybe Braden Smith or Quessenberry will be around. Maurice Hurst will probably be gone but outside chance he's there if we go other side of the ball.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

My day 2 guys to keep an eye on:

OL

Austin Corbett
Braden Smith
Scott Quessenberry

DL

Maurice Hurst
Tim Settle
Arden Key

TE

Dallas Goedert
Mike Gesicki
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

The pick is meh for me. I trust in speilman but to me a late.first round corner is about depth and will need to develop. I don't think he will have a immediate impact, but could be wrong.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Norv Zimmer wrote:The pick is meh for me. I trust in speilman but to me a late.first round corner is about depth and will need to develop. I don't think he will have a immediate impact, but could be wrong.
He probably will on kickoffs, assuming there still are kickoffs. The 19 that are returned this year. Comments suggest he's not going to probably see the field on defense right away. Very on brand.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:
Norv Zimmer wrote:The pick is meh for me. I trust in speilman but to me a late.first round corner is about depth and will need to develop. I don't think he will have a immediate impact, but could be wrong.
He probably will on kickoffs, assuming there still are kickoffs. The 19 that are returned this year. Comments suggest he's not going to probably see the field on defense right away. Very on brand.
Don't rule out the possibility that comments may also be based on the fact that they are returning starters and dont want to tip their hand and upset the apple cart. You can't very well say he's going to start, even if you are hoping/planning he will. I think there is an outside chance they will move Waynes some time between tomorrow and the trade deadline. It's not likely, but between this pick and not picking up his 5th year option, everybody is going to know this is his last year. How is that going to effect Waynes performance and confidence? Heck maybe it'll fire him up. There could be some benefits to trading him though, including freeing up enough cap space to lock in your other guys in such a way that you are able to frontload one of the deals a bit, not to mention perhaps adding a second round pick this year.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I still think they keep waynes. I don't think Zimmer has been happy with Alexander and also Newman is not getting any younger. Don't know much about Hughes can he play slot.cb?
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Not a fan of the Mike Hughes pick. Don't see how you can pass up Josh Jackson or Will Hernandez in that situation. Hell, Isaiah Oliver or Harold Landry would have been better picks.

Let's hope we don't trade the farm to move up in the draft. We still have a lot of needs.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I don't think we have a lot of needs.... I want a guard and Anthony Miller!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Norv Zimmer wrote:I still think they keep waynes. I don't think Zimmer has been happy with Alexander and also Newman is not getting any younger.
+1
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Hoping for Corbett or Hurst at this point.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

The guy went through three schools in three years and
we take him in the first with Hernadez sitting

Rick been huffing paint in his office

A small CB also...

Horrible pick ..
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

jackal wrote:The guy went through three schools in three years and
we take him in the first with Hernadez sitting

Rick been huffing paint in his office

A small CB also...

Horrible pick ..
The 'Three Schools in three years" bit is a little misleading. He went to one school, had a problem, went to a JUCO in order to rebuild rep and transfer back to a D1 school. He's not Marcus Peters getting tossed out of everywhere.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins