Vikings Draft Picks

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Vikings Draft Picks

Post by Cliff »

Thought this was interesting;

“I’ve always kind of tinkered around with maybe having one safety and four corners – things like that,” Zimmer said. “It was give us some flexibility in what we do with some of the nickel packages.”
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote:Thought this was interesting;

“I’ve always kind of tinkered around with maybe having one safety and four corners – things like that,” Zimmer said. “It was give us some flexibility in what we do with some of the nickel packages.”
So they'd take Sendejo out for Hughes? Bold strategy Cotton.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:

Strikes me as a smokescreen. You don't want to say, "this guy isn't going to play" to the media and fan base, and you don't want to say, "he's going to replace Trae Waynes". Easier to say, "maybe we can find room on the field for all of them".
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

fiestavike wrote:Strikes me as a smokescreen. You don't want to say, "this guy isn't going to play" to the media and fan base, and you don't want to say, "he's going to replace Trae Waynes". Easier to say, "maybe we can find room on the field for all of them".
That's possible. I think it's a mix of making sure that they've got another good options if they choose not to resign Waynes after next season but I also believe Zimmer would be fine having all 3 if they play well.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Has Newman officially signed?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote:

If that's Zimmer intent, it would have made 100x more sense to draft Josh Jackson or Isaiah Oliver. Mike Hughes is one more dumb move away from a suspension.

Or, novel idea, we could have actually improved the offensive line for once.

Not a fan of the pick. But we'll see what the future holds.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Has Newman officially signed?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
No, although in Hughes presser he was asked about Newman and said he is still optimistic about bringing Newman back.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Apparently, the end of the first round is all about great defensive teams getting better on defense while ignoring their offensive issues. :whistle:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

halfgiz wrote:

Apparently, the end of the first round is all about great defensive teams getting better on defense while ignoring their offensive issues. :whistle:
To be fair, we always complain about not going BPA, forcing needs, or claiming an obvious need pick was BPA. It would seem that they were true to their board with this pick.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

halfgiz wrote:

I think it's more about a great defensive team making sure they stay a great defensive team.

The team's biggest need in the off season was QB and they addressed that so it's not as if the team isn't putting resources into that side of the ball too. That move gave them the flexibility to make a pick like this.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I wasn't enamored by the pick. However, I'm not ready to call it a failure before seeing what they do with the guy. We should also keep in mind that this FO has done very well recently in the middle rounds. We are far from out of the mix in terms of finding solutions to our OL problems.

I see why people are ticked about not addressing Guard first, but I would remind everyone that in recent drafts the early OL talent hasn't been the slam dunk it was 10 years ago. A lot of those guys fail to crack the starting line up. So it might be that our scouting department did a good job and didn't have those guys rated as high as some of the more public "draft gurus."

I know people love the draft and I'm not going to fault them for that, however the hype that gets generated by this event is truly a spectacle. In the end, within 3 years the vast majority of draft picks are washed out of the NFL, yet every off-season these guys get talked up like they are the second coming of HOF player XYZ at their respective position. It is really just silly. I watched it a bit last night on FOX and the announcers were driving me nuts.
'This WR is so great, that CB is going to cover everybody." In September these same guys will be talking about how it takes time for a CB to get up to the NFL game and learn the more challenges rules on grabbing. Or how WR need to learn to be on the same page as their QB. Yet on draft day they are all the next Jerry Rice. Honestly, LOL!
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

mansquatch wrote:I wasn't enamored by the pick. However, I'm not ready to call it a failure before seeing what they do with the guy. We should also keep in mind that this FO has done very well recently in the middle rounds. We are far from out of the mix in terms of finding solutions to our OL problems.

I see why people are ticked about not addressing Guard first, but I would remind everyone that in recent drafts the early OL talent hasn't been the slam dunk it was 10 years ago. A lot of those guys fail to crack the starting line up. So it might be that our scouting department did a good job and didn't have those guys rated as high as some of the more public "draft gurus."

I know people love the draft and I'm not going to fault them for that, however the hype that gets generated by this event is truly a spectacle. In the end, within 3 years the vast majority of draft picks are washed out of the NFL, yet every off-season these guys get talked up like they are the second coming of HOF player XYZ at their respective position. It is really just silly. I watched it a bit last night on FOX and the announcers were driving me nuts.
'This WR is so great, that CB is going to cover everybody." In September these same guys will be talking about how it takes time for a CB to get up to the NFL game and learn the more challenges rules on grabbing. Or how WR need to learn to be on the same page as their QB. Yet on draft day they are all the next Jerry Rice. Honestly, LOL!
A lot of good points. I really think there is a possibility that Nelson, McGlinchey and Price are the only guys who are sure fire to come in and start day one as upgrades to their teams. Wynn, Ragnow and Hernandez are all great prospects, but they don't come from the schools that turn out pro ready offensive linemen, and James Daniels may have strength questions that require him to bulk up to be successful. That won't happen overnight. I'm not saying any of those guys won't turn out to be great picks, they may well be, but I think it may be that the 'draft gurus' do have some of these guys more elevated than the Vikings.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

I dislike this pick. Corner isn't a need for this team, and on this team a corner doesn't contribute until years 2 or 3. This young gentleman has character issues, is small, and I'm not impressed with the footage I've seen. I feel that he was drafted to come in as a special teams guy, which is not what I want to see the team using a first round pick on. Granted, I don't know what the team's draft board looked like, but I feel that if he was the top of their board, they should have traded down. I seriously hope Rick uses the second and third rounds to address the OL.
TheCoolerOne
Transition Player

Post by TheCoolerOne »

akvikingsfan wrote:I dislike this pick. Corner isn't a need for this team, and on this team a corner doesn't contribute until years 2 or 3. This young gentleman has character issues, is small, and I'm not impressed with the footage I've seen. I feel that he was drafted to come in as a special teams guy, which is not what I want to see the team using a first round pick on. Granted, I don't know what the team's draft board looked like, but I feel that if he was the top of their board, they should have traded down. I seriously hope Rick uses the second and third rounds to address the OL.
That's kind of just like a Walter Football take. This kid wasn't on my radar when the Vikings were on the clock, but I don't have any problem with the pick. You could take your post and swap CB for RB and it would work just fine for Dalvin Cook last year.

"Character concerns" is always juicy talk when a talented guy gets picked late. Trey Wingo said he's got character concerns, the Vikings, who vetted his former coaches, say not a concern. Who do you really want to lean on there?

Looks like a freaky-deaky returner, good in coverage, and between Zimmer and (hopefully) Newman, this kid can contribute day one as a return man, and year two as a corner. When you have a young, win-now team, there's nothing wrong with keeping that model in place by continuing to draft for the near-future.

Yes, Hernandez would've been cool, that's who I wanted too. But this pick is just as intriguing. If this is a guy who they claimed would've been corner no.2 off the board, sans "character concerns," then that is a steal.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

808vikingsfan wrote:Another mock picked Hughes. Brett Kollmann gives a pretty good explanation of why the Vikings would make this pick.

https://youtu.be/mD8JexpYfmQ?t=58m58s

Wow. Great analysis. I've heard that guy before. He seems very knowledgeable about how Zimmer rolls on D.

I'd thought it was more a look towards shoring up the loss of Newman and facing the fact that Mac A. just hasn't panned out... this guy makes a strong case that it is more of a prudent cap move to replace Waynes, which, to be honest, I'm fine with. If we have to let one of Barr, Diggs, Hunter, Waynes, etc. go, Waynes would definitely be my choice.

I thought for sure it would be Hernandez. I wonder what they think of him and his potential fit in our OL scheme?