Vikings Draft Picks

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Vikings Draft Picks

Post by dead_poet »

#30: CB Mike Hughes, UCF
@Eric_L_Smith

#UCF CB Mike Hughes in 2017:

Started 11 games with 49 tackles with 4 INTs, including one returned for a touchdown. Returned 14 punts for 233 yards and a touchdown; returned 20 kickoffs for 635 yards and two touchdowns; All-Conference First-Team (CB) and Second-Team (returner).
@RapSheet The #Vikings had trade offers, but take #UCF CB Mike Hughes. He had off the field issues, but can’t argue with the talent. He goes No. 30.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
kidfozzy.
Starter

Re: Vikings Draft Picks

Post by kidfozzy. »

National champion pedigree, seen enough of this guy to know that he will be a special asset for us.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@NFLFilmStudy Mike Hughes is a big time talent. Man corner who can play inside or out with his skill set. Better fit in one of the heaviest man schemes in the league than Josh Jackson. Terrific explosiveness in his lower body
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@Luke_Spinman

Vikings have always had elite special teams returners...

Percy Harvin
Cordarrelle Patterson
And you can add Mike Hughes to the list... OUTSTANDING/DANGEROUS Returner
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

A little strange that he doesn't seem to have the measurables Zimmer traditionally seems to covet.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Another mock picked Hughes. Brett Kollmann gives a pretty good explanation of why the Vikings would make this pick.

https://youtu.be/mD8JexpYfmQ?t=58m58s
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

808vikingsfan wrote:Another mock picked Hughes. Brett Kollmann gives a pretty good explanation of why the Vikings would make this pick.

https://youtu.be/mD8JexpYfmQ?t=58m58s
I remember getting crap for saying Waynes needs to be replaced. Brett's amazing but he basically said the same things I was saying.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

He is small, very little experience, and has character issues. I just dont see what the Vikings office saw. I think once again Rick is overlooking the value of offensive linemen. If we dont go Oline in rd 2, we better pick Anthony Miller. Man, I love this guy. He is like a faster Diggs, with better route running then Theilen even, and thats hard to beat. Gives Cousins 4 great targets to throw the ball to. If he has the time.....
Demarates
Backup

Post by Demarates »

Now it is indeed all about improving the O-line.
Tene Quod Bene
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:He is small, very little experience, and has character issues. I just dont see what the Vikings office saw. I think once again Rick is overlooking the value of offensive linemen. If we dont go Oline in rd 2, we better pick Anthony Miller. Man, I love this guy. He is like a faster Diggs, with better route running then Theilen even, and thats hard to beat. Gives Cousins 4 great targets to throw the ball to. If he has the time.....
Rick doesn't like olinemen and he keep trying to plug anyone in there. I expect us to trade out of round 2 because Ricky needs more picks.

The pick is fine. But online is an issue. I don't like Easton as a blocker and I would kill for a guy that actually open up a few holes.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

This pick might be more of an indictment against Alexander than Waynes. Hughes is small for the prototypical Zimmer outside corner. The only way this pick makes sense is if you had him really high on your board, like #15 or so. That and maybe Hernandez doesn't fit your scheme. But what about Daniels? He seems to fit perfectly. You don't want to move Elflein to guard? I'd rather that than move Remmers.

I don't get it and I dislike the pick. The only solace I have is we got Elflein in the 3rd so maybe we get lucky twice. But it's quite the gamble. The only thing that could make this worse is if we draft Orlando Brown.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

S197 wrote:This pick might be more of an indictment against Alexander than Waynes. Hughes is small for the prototypical Zimmer outside corner. The only way this pick makes sense is if you had him really high on your board, like #15 or so. That and maybe Hernandez doesn't fit your scheme. But what about Daniels? He seems to fit perfectly. You don't want to move Elflein to guard? I'd rather that than move Remmers.

I don't get it and I dislike the pick. The only solace I have is we got Elflein in the 3rd so maybe we get lucky twice. But it's quite the gamble. The only thing that could make this worse is if we draft Orlando Brown.
If one player has the possibility of replacing 3 players (Newman, Alexander, Sherels), maybe it's not a bad pick after all.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

808vikingsfan wrote:
S197 wrote:This pick might be more of an indictment against Alexander than Waynes. Hughes is small for the prototypical Zimmer outside corner. The only way this pick makes sense is if you had him really high on your board, like #15 or so. That and maybe Hernandez doesn't fit your scheme. But what about Daniels? He seems to fit perfectly. You don't want to move Elflein to guard? I'd rather that than move Remmers.

If one player has the possibility of replacing 3 players (Newman, Alexander, Sherels), maybe it's not a bad pick after all.
This seems very likely......
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Hernadez was there too an imo

Is going to be a ten year pro bowl
guy like Hutchinson was.

To take a smallish CB with character
issues instead a beast OG that would
an OG any decent running back would
thrive under ...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Article with quotes from Rick and Zimmer.

http://www.mnvikingscorner.com/2018/04/ ... e.html?m=1