2018 Vikings Free Agency Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 2018 Vikings Free Agency Thread

Post by dead_poet »

tzinc wrote:Compton Cousins Richardson Wright and they got their punt returner back that is an awesome Free Agency they filled every hole more or less

they are free to draft BPA
You mean BLA

(Best Lineman Available)

:whistle:
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

tzinc wrote:Compton Cousins Richardson Wright and they got their punt returner back that is an awesome Free Agency they filled every hole more or less

Or to draft a year in advance. That is a real luxury. When you manage the cap as well as the Vikings do I think they probably have a very good idea of which players they won't be retaining next seaon. They can draft to replace them a year in advance and let those guys season for a year before they need them. That's a recipe for long term success.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote:

Or to draft a year in advance. That is a real luxury. When you manage the cap as well as the Vikings do I think they probably have a very good idea of which players they won't be retaining next seaon. They can draft to replace them a year in advance and let those guys season for a year before they need them. That's a recipe for long term success.
Exactly. I've said this before as well. They could look to draft a DE like Arden Key if they think they will lose Hunter. Or draft a CB if they think they will lose Waynes. Or a LB if Barr goes (I would throw up if they let Kendricks go). Granted, I would love an OL too but we can also go the BPA approach in the first and take an OL in the 2nd or 3rd.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Sort of related: Jets signed Bucky Hodges.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Just resigned Kendricks to a 5 year/$50 million deal!!

Very happy about this. He’s hands down our best LB IMO. Him and Diggs should be our top priorities. Interesting to see what the future holds for Barr and Hunter. I’m guessing they’ll just exercise Waynes option
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Just resigned Kendricks to a 5 year/$50 million deal!!

Very happy about this. He’s hands down our best LB IMO. Him and Diggs should be our top priorities. Interesting to see what the future holds for Barr and Hunter. I’m guessing they’ll just exercise Waynes option
I'm pretty worried about the ability to re-sign Diggs. Jarvis Landry's deal makes it a lot tougher. They may need to franchise tag him. Of course all that is contingent on him staying healthy, which he's struggled to do.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mike Renner of PFF lists strength of position groups in the draft as:

1. QB
2. RB
3. LB
4. CB
5. IOL
6. DT
7. TE
8. S
9. OT
10. Edge
11. WR

My takeaway is we need to target OG and DT early, maybe followed up by TE or EDGE. We should be able to get some depth at OLB and CB later in the draft. We really should be drafting a QB to compete with Sloter late round too. We have some decent depth at WR, which appears to be a good thing.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote:Mike Renner of PFF lists strength of position groups in the draft as:

1. QB
2. RB
3. LB
4. CB
5. IOL
6. DT
7. TE
8. S
9. OT
10. Edge
11. WR

My takeaway is we need to target OG and DT early, maybe followed up by TE or EDGE. We should be able to get some depth at OLB and CB later in the draft. We really should be drafting a QB to compete with Sloter late round too. We have some decent depth at WR, which appears to be a good thing.
I agree with OG or DT. But don't be surprised if we simply go with BPA in the area of either DE, OLB, WR or CB. Which could be a sign that either Hunter, Barr, Diggs or Waynes are gone. Although I don't see any way they let Diggs walk. If it was me and I had to let one go, I give Diggs and Hunter extensions, exercise Waynes option and let Barr walk. Reason being is 1.) Diggs is a stud 2.) Hunter's potential is still through the roof 3.) It takes CBs a LONG time to adapt to this defense. Waynes knows it and has improved a lot in a year. Also, if we exercise his option, we won't have to give him a contract until 2020. 4.) Letting Barr walk and finding a replacement should be the easiest of any task above if we let them walk. Getting a good athletic LB in the draft next year seems much easier than finding an immediate starter at CB given this defense, an immediate starter at DE that can produce or a WR anywhere near the talent of DIggs.
-Chazz Palminteri
Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
S197 wrote:Mike Renner of PFF lists strength of position groups in the draft as:

1. QB
2. RB
3. LB
4. CB
5. IOL
6. DT
7. TE
8. S
9. OT
10. Edge
11. WR

I agree with OG or DT. But don't be surprised if we simply go with BPA in the area of either DE, OLB, WR or CB. Which could be a sign that either Hunter, Barr, Diggs or Waynes are gone. Although I don't see any way they let Diggs walk. If it was me and I had to let one go, I give Diggs and Hunter extensions, exercise Waynes option and let Barr walk. Reason being is 1.) Diggs is a stud 2.) Hunter's potential is still through the roof 3.) It takes CBs a LONG time to adapt to this defense. Waynes knows it and has improved a lot in a year. Also, if we exercise his option, we won't have to give him a contract until 2020. 4.) Letting Barr walk and finding a replacement should be the easiest of any task above if we let them walk. Getting a good athletic LB in the draft next year seems much easier than finding an immediate starter at CB given this defense, an immediate starter at DE that can produce or a WR anywhere near the talent of DIggs.
Well put. While I really like Barr, it is much easier to replace his position than DE or CB. Like Charley Casserly said, Diggs is a playmaker and you have to hang onto your playmakers.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

1. QB
2. RB
3. LB
4. CB
5. IOL
6. DT
7. TE
8. S
9. OT
10. Edge
11. WR

Barr is a decent candidate mainly because I think the hype around him will make him a pricey re-sign and also he lacks consistency at times. That's not to say I don't want him back, he's a great player but there will be tough decisions to be made.

That being said, I think he and Hunter have something to prove this year. After a really good 2016, Hunter had somewhat of a down year, which is odd when you go from backup to full-time starter and your production declines. Sky is the ceiling for him but it's hard to ignore that he got more snaps and did less. He's going to be surrounded by a killer line this year so he will have his opportunities.

Kendricks was the most consistent of the five. Barr had a bounce back year but he coasts at times. Waynes had a much improved year but the question is can he keep improving. Diggs is special... when he's on the field and that's going to be the qualifier until he has a season where he plays all 16 games. Hunter needs to show 2016 wasn't a fluke and he can handle a starter load.

It's tough man. If I had to set an order today, it would be Diggs, Hunter, Barr, then Waynes but they're all separated by such a small margin.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

S197 wrote:

1. QB
2. RB
3. LB
4. CB
5. IOL
6. DT
7. TE
8. S
9. OT
10. Edge
11. WR

Barr is a decent candidate mainly because I think the hype around him will make him a pricey re-sign and also he lacks consistency at times. That's not to say I don't want him back, he's a great player but there will be tough decisions to be made.

That being said, I think he and Hunter have something to prove this year. After a really good 2016, Hunter had somewhat of a down year, which is odd when you go from backup to full-time starter and your production declines. Sky is the ceiling for him but it's hard to ignore that he got more snaps and did less. He's going to be surrounded by a killer line this year so he will have his opportunities.

Kendricks was the most consistent of the five. Barr had a bounce back year but he coasts at times. Waynes had a much improved year but the question is can he keep improving. Diggs is special... when he's on the field and that's going to be the qualifier until he has a season where he plays all 16 games. Hunter needs to show 2016 wasn't a fluke and he can handle a starter load.

It's tough man. If I had to set an order today, it would be Diggs, Hunter, Barr, then Waynes but they're all separated by such a small margin.
I think it's hard to judge if Hunter had a down year just by his sack count. But yeah, it's not like he tore up the NFL last year.

Nick Olson@NicholasJOlson

If you think Danielle Hunter underperformed last year, consider that he had...

• 17 run stops—same as Everson Griffen, except on 10% fewer snaps,
• 59 pressures, compared to Griffen's 61,
• Only 2 missed tackles all year (compared to Griffen's 5).

Oh, he's also just 23.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

808vikingsfan wrote: Nick Olson@NicholasJOlson

Oh, he's also just 23.
Great stat!
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

808vikingsfan wrote:
S197 wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote: I agree with OG or DT. But don't be surprised if we simply go with BPA in the area of either DE, OLB, WR or CB. Which could be a sign that either Hunter, Barr, Diggs or Waynes are gone. Although I don't see any way they let Diggs walk. If it was me and I had to let one go, I give Diggs and Hunter extensions, exercise Waynes option and let Barr walk. Reason being is 1.) Diggs is a stud 2.) Hunter's potential is still through the roof 3.) It takes CBs a LONG time to adapt to this defense. Waynes knows it and has improved a lot in a year. Also, if we exercise his option, we won't have to give him a contract until 2020. 4.) Letting Barr walk and finding a replacement should be the easiest of any task above if we let them walk. Getting a good athletic LB in the draft next year seems much easier than finding an immediate starter at CB given this defense, an immediate starter at DE that can produce or a WR anywhere near the talent of DIggs.

I think it's hard to judge if Hunter had a down year just by his sack count. But yeah, it's not like he tore up the NFL last year.

Nick Olson@NicholasJOlson

Oh, he's also just 23.
I think Griffen underperformed. He was nonexistent the second half if ghetto year. I know he was hurt but still.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

EG had a foot injury last year. That shouldn't be underestimated in terms of what it can do to player like a DE.

That being said, the pass rush was not nearly as potent in the 2nd half of the season and post season as it was in September and October. Those guys got wore down. They need depth to give the group fewer overall snaps and maintain freshness throughout the year. I would argue that this might be the biggest single need on the defense now that they've signed Richardson.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mansquatch wrote:EG had a foot injury last year. That shouldn't be underestimated in terms of what it can do to player like a DE.

That being said, the pass rush was not nearly as potent in the 2nd half of the season and post season as it was in September and October. Those guys got wore down. They need depth to give the group fewer overall snaps and maintain freshness throughout the year. I would argue that this might be the biggest single need on the defense now that they've signed Richardson.
Richardson is probably a one-year rental. DT remains a need post-2018.