Vikings sign QB- Kirk Cousins to a 3 year, ~$86 million deal

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings sign QB- Kirk Cousins to a 3 year, ~$86 million

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I'm curious... Is there negative press about him? It's easy to quote the good stuff, but I would like to know if anyone has negative opinions on his game, in other words stuff yo work on.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Sure, there's negative press. In fact, it's pretty easy to find negative press. That was the point of my post -- to refute some of that.

You had Scott McCloughan, the Redskins' GM, saying Cousins is "nothing special," and then the whole world starts chiming in about everything that's wrong with him. From his supposed inability to win games late to the fact that he drives a beater, Cousins has always been an easy target. People can't understand that a man who has made more than $40 million isn't actually driven by money, so they find reasons to criticize. Follow that up with totally unsubstantiated rants from Marshall Faulk and Michael Irvin claiming Cousins' teammates don't like him, and all of a sudden the media assumes he's a jerk.

My post was meant to show that a fairly significant number of Cousins' teammates and coaches think those assessments are a bunch of crap.

You want negative press? Google the man's name. It's pretty easy to find.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Everything I've seen from Cousins shows him to be a stand up guy. I think there was just a little frustration with him playing for the Redskins.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I'm curious... Is there negative press about him? It's easy to quote the good stuff, but I would like to know if anyone has negative opinions on his game, in other words stuff yo work on.

Here's a breakdown of the good and bad of Cousins.
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/ ... k-cousins/
Over the past three years, Cousins has more fumbles than any quarterback in the NFL with 31.
Of his 55 career interceptions, 22 have come in the fourth quarter.

As far as teammates not liking him, it goes as far back as 2016. But like it was mentioned before, he may just be an easy target. I don't think it matters though. New team, new culture.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

808vikingsfan wrote:Now I was impressed by Kirks presser but after watching a couple of other interviews, he seems to say almost the exact same thing so to me, some answers seem very rehearsed. It's probably only me but I get a sense of fakeness when listening to him talk at times. Almost like listening to a really good salesman.
I kinda get that sense too. But then I remember that he's from Holland, MI which is only about an hour from me. It's a fairly wealthy beach town in Michigan and every time I visit I notice that people there are just like that. Super genuine and nice to the point that you question it but it's really what it is - genuine - but you only know that after spending time with them.

So maybe that's where the teammates don't like him narrative comes from - people on the outside who get a salesman vibe but then his actual teammates love him because they spend a lot of time with him and see that the super (and sometimes annoyingly) nice guy is truly who he is.
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

TSonn wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:Now I was impressed by Kirks presser but after watching a couple of other interviews, he seems to say almost the exact same thing so to me, some answers seem very rehearsed. It's probably only me but I get a sense of fakeness when listening to him talk at times. Almost like listening to a really good salesman.
I kinda get that sense too. But then I remember that he's from Holland, MI which is only about an hour from me. It's a fairly wealthy beach town in Michigan and every time I visit I notice that people there are just like that. Super genuine and nice to the point that you question it but it's really what it is - genuine - but you only know that after spending time with them.

So maybe that's where the teammates don't like him narrative comes from - people on the outside who get a salesman vibe but then his actual teammates love him because they spend a lot of time with him and see that the super (and sometimes annoyingly) nice guy is truly who he is.
Go Dutch!
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

808vikingsfan wrote:

Over the past three years, Cousins has more fumbles than any quarterback in the NFL with 31.

As far as teammates not liking him, it goes as far back as 2016. But like it was mentioned before, he may just be an easy target. I don't think it matters though. New team, new culture.
Fumbles sound like an oline problem ... or are they coming on scrambles?

4th quarter interceptions might be attributed to the Redskins sucking and him being forced into bad situations - such as having to try to come from behind in the 4th and throwing in obvious throwing situations.
SkolScot
Practice Squad

Post by SkolScot »

Cliff wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:

4th quarter interceptions might be attributed to the Redskins sucking and him being forced into bad situations - such as having to try to come from behind in the 4th and throwing in obvious throwing situations.
That was my first thought about 4th Q INTs. There may be things to worry about with Kirk but it’s definitely an upgrade and I’m very excited. Although I’m a bit worried he’s played so long without an injury- he is probably due one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Cliff wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:

Fumbles: I don't think it matters. He needs to protect the ball better.
Interceptions: It could be. Would be nice to see a breakdown of his INTs.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Rock45
Rookie

Post by Rock45 »

For that kind of money, he better have 3 SPECTACULAR years.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

808vikingsfan wrote:
Cliff wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote: Here's a breakdown of the good and bad of Cousins.

Fumbles: I don't think it matters. He needs to protect the ball better.
Interceptions: It could be. Would be nice to see a breakdown of his INTs.
Well, I think the fumbles do kind of depend on the oline, especially if his LT was crappy and he was getting hit in his blind side a lot.

I'd like to see a break down too. About both where the fumbles occurred and what situations the INTs were under.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Regarding his interceptions. Between 2015-17 he had 36. Of those 36...........

11 happened in the 4th quarter or OT (1)
5 were returned for TD's.
9 of the 11, the Redskins were trailing.

http://pfref.com/tiny/HFRy7
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966