Wright Signed

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Wright Signed

Post by halfgiz »

Chris Tomasson
‏ @christomasson
2h2 hours ago

#Vikings sign Kendall Wright for likely No. 3 wide receiver role behind Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs.

I would think that signing might not make Treadwell happy.
S197
Fenrir

Re: Wright Signed

Post by S197 »

Pretty solid slot WR signing. Good hands and pretty physical. Some injury concerns and it sounds like his route running isn't the best.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I really liked him comimg out of Baylor. Some people forget he caught nearly 100 balls for over 1,000 yards in 2013. I like it. Comparable to the Wright that just left.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

dead_poet wrote:I really liked him comimg out of Baylor. Some people forget he caught nearly 100 balls for over 1,000 yards in 2013. I like it. Comparable to the Wright that just left.
I think it is an ok signing. My biggest issues with this is that....

1. We don't really need another slot WR. Both our starters are actually slot WRs that offer some versatility on the outside. 2 years ago Diggs broke out in the slot. Last season Adam was moved to the slot and he broke out. Now we add another slot guy who isn't the best blocker and it just leaves me confused.

2. What did he sign for? I hope its a lot less than 3 million that Wright was cut for. Although he is an upgrade, it makes you question what the savings were for. Cutting a loyal player for a 1 year rental. Would like to see a big wr added at some point (besides 6'2 Theilan).
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Hate this signing. He's no better then the Wright that just left. I doubt he is any cheaper. What does Rick have against getting a good tall WR? I know he screwed up with Treadwell but having a decent sized receiver is good to have. We already have the slot covered. Wasnt there an article about how the guy rarely even gets open when we played them the first time? We have a few short guys already on the PS that could have played the slot. Plus we get shafted by WR we get in our division.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Hate this signing. He's no better then the Wright that just left. I doubt he is any cheaper. What does Rick have against getting a good tall WR? I know he screwed up with Treadwell but having a decent sized receiver is good to have. We already have the slot covered. Wasnt there an article about how the guy rarely even gets open when we played them the first time? We have a few short guys already on the PS that could have played the slot. Plus we get shafted by WR we get in our division.
I agree. It's a questionable signing to me. But I dont quite hate it.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:Hate this signing. He's no better then the Wright that just left. I doubt he is any cheaper. What does Rick have against getting a good tall WR? I know he screwed up with Treadwell but having a decent sized receiver is good to have. We already have the slot covered. Wasnt there an article about how the guy rarely even gets open when we played them the first time? We have a few short guys already on the PS that could have played the slot. Plus we get shafted by WR we get in our division.

Yeah, hate is a strong word. I meant I really dont understand it.
Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

I really won't have an opinion until I see what the contract looks like. I haven't found anything yet.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Diggs hasn't been the epitome of health so Wright provides depth and a potential #3 option. He's not very tall but he has the physicality and measurables (really good vertical) to go up and grab contested footballs. The Vikings still need a guy who can stretch the field now.

I assume his contract is a couple mil which isn't bad. I'd prefer him over Decker or bringing back Floyd.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

S197 wrote:Diggs hasn't been the epitome of health so Wright provides depth and a potential #3 option. He's not very tall but he has the physicality and measurables (really good vertical) to go up and grab contested footballs. The Vikings still need a guy who can stretch the field now.

I assume his contract is a couple mil which isn't bad. I'd prefer him over Decker or bringing back Floyd.
Really? Over Decker? Decker has proven himself a great receiver with a good QB. I dont think anyone here would even know Wright if we didnt play the Bears twice a year. Maybe they saved some cash going from one Wright to the other. We need a good #3 3 WR, that is a great threat in the endzone. To go along with Kyle.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:

Yeah, hate is a strong word. I meant I really dont understand it.
I don't understand it either. Kendall Wright is a mostly dink and dunk receiver who is slow, has had some health issues, and can't help in stretching the field (which is something the Vikings still need).

Personally, I'd rather the Vikings still had Jarius Wright.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

I thought he played decent when he was with the Titains. I think Bears didn't utilize him properly.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
S197 wrote:Diggs hasn't been the epitome of health so Wright provides depth and a potential #3 option. He's not very tall but he has the physicality and measurables (really good vertical) to go up and grab contested footballs. The Vikings still need a guy who can stretch the field now.

Really? Over Decker? Decker has proven himself a great receiver with a good QB. I dont think anyone here would even know Wright if we didnt play the Bears twice a year. Maybe they saved some cash going from one Wright to the other. We need a good #3 3 WR, that is a great threat in the endzone. To go along with Kyle.
Have you watched Decker the last year or two? His production is way down. Age and injury have caught up with him.

Wright was a 1st round pick so I'm not sure why people wouldn't have heard of him. I don't know his contract details but hopefully it's about $2M. His career has been a lot more productive than Jarius. Granted he's gotten more opportunity but that also says something about Jarius who has had years to work himself up the depth chart.
Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

S197 wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:

Have you watched Decker the last year or two? His production is way down. Age and injury have caught up with him.

Wright was a 1st round pick so I'm not sure why people wouldn't have heard of him. I don't know his contract details but hopefully it's about $2M. His career has been a lot more productive than Jarius. Granted he's gotten more opportunity but that also says something about Jarius who has had years to work himself up the depth chart.
Good points. Despite playing on a lucrative extension, Jarius was passed up by an undrafted free agent and a fifth round draft pick.
mossbutt
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mossbutt »

A sideways signing! Jarius Wright is a good reciever who caught the damn ball just fine. A solid player. Why does Spielman make all these swing for the fences/splashy signings? The odds of winning it all are very small and with less continuity and more bodies to bring up to Viking speed..........well you get the drift. Spielmans done ok in some regards but holy lord i wish he would stock the team with solid players instead of wishful possibilities.