Teams Unanimously Approve Simplified Catch Rule

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Teams Unanimously Approve Simplified Catch Rule

Post by Cliff »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... catch-rule
The NFL has a new catch rule.

League owners approved modifications to the catch rule for the 2018 season during the Annual League Meeting on Tuesday. The changes passed unanimously on a 32-0 vote, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

Earlier in the week, NFL Senior Vice President of Officiating Al Riveron announced the Competition Committee's recommendation for simplifying the language of the catch rule.

The new rules defining a catch include:

1. Control of the ball.
2. Two feet down or another body part.
3. A football move such as:
» A third step;
» Reaching/extending for the line-to-gain;
» Or the ability to perform such an act.

The key change to the rule eliminated the "going-to-the-ground" element of the previous rule
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Teams Unanimously Approve Simplified Catch Rule

Post by dead_poet »

Also teams can now trade players put on IR.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

About time. Did they pass the "Minneapolis Miracle" rule? AKA you don't have to kick a PAT after a winning TD when time expires.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote:About time. Did they pass the "Minneapolis Miracle" rule? AKA you don't have to kick a PAT after a winning TD when time expires.
I honestly believe that if they weren't so close to the spread they wouldn't have bothered. The spread, if memory serves, was 5.5 and the TD put through vikings up 5. Kick the PAT, and they beat the spread.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Hopefully, this will get us closer to the "Six Drunk Bubbas" test.

Which means, of course, that if a bar full of drunks can see it's a catch, it oughta be a catch.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
S197 wrote:About time. Did they pass the "Minneapolis Miracle" rule? AKA you don't have to kick a PAT after a winning TD when time expires.
I honestly believe that if they weren't so close to the spread they wouldn't have bothered. The spread, if memory serves, was 5.5 and the TD put through vikings up 5. Kick the PAT, and they beat the spread.

I thought about that too but really unless there's some long shot reason, like a crazy tiebreaker where points matter (don't even know if this exists), teams are just going to take a knee. No sense risking a block when the game is over.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Another change is ANY hit with the crown of the helmet is a 15 yard penalty. Depends on how strictly it's enforced but could be a big impact. E.g. Running backs ducking their head, Shazier hits (head to body), pretty much any Sendejo tackle. Are they going to enforce it between the tackles? In red zone and short yardage?
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

I guess the 15 yd PI rule didn't take. That could have help shift the rule balance toward the defense a little.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote:Another change is ANY hit with the crown of the helmet is a 15 yard penalty. Depends on how strictly it's enforced but could be a big impact. E.g. Running backs ducking their head, Shazier hits (head to body), pretty much any Sendejo tackle. Are they going to enforce it between the tackles? In red zone and short yardage?
This could be a nightmare to enforce and be incredibly subjective and game-altering. I understand for player safety but it just happens way too often already without negative consequence. I also can't shake the feeling that some defender accidentally does it, gets injured and the ref flags him 15 yards as he's being put into an ambulance. That'd be a great look.

Also, AD would've been flagged for this repeatedly. Is it the offensive player too?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:

I thought about that too but really unless there's some long shot reason, like a crazy tiebreaker where points matter (don't even know if this exists), teams are just going to take a knee. No sense risking a block when the game is over.
I know, my point was they wouldn't have even made them snap it.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:Also, AD would've been flagged for this repeatedly. Is it the offensive player too?
I think that's the speculation right now. They're saying any hit so it should apply to both the offense and defense. There's already a similar rule for runners, known as the Trent Richardson rule for when he blasted Coleman in the facemask and knocked off his helmet, but it's rarely enforced. I think that rule only applies outside the tackles though but I could be wrong.

If they're going to be strict about it, hopefully they are really strict in the preseason to get the point across. But I can definitely see this as the new "survive the ground" rule that will screw teams in key situations.
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Hopefully, this will get us closer to the "Six Drunk Bubbas" test.

Which means, of course, that if a bar full of drunks can see it's a catch, it oughta be a catch.

Where does one sign up to be a Bubba?
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think facemask, horsecollar, and helmet to helmet penalties should be challengeable. It wouldn't slow down the game as it's still subject to the same challenge rules in place. I just think the speed with which these things happen, sometimes its hard for the refs to get it right. Also, if you are flagged for an illegal hit and the person you hit is ruled out for the game (e.g. from a concussion) the offender should also be ruled out. It doesn't make sense that you can knock a guy out and keep playing.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

S197 wrote:I think facemask, horsecollar, and helmet to helmet penalties should be challengeable. It wouldn't slow down the game as it's still subject to the same challenge rules in place. I just think the speed with which these things happen, sometimes its hard for the refs to get it right. Also, if you are flagged for an illegal hit and the person you hit is ruled out for the game (e.g. from a concussion) the offender should also be ruled out. It doesn't make sense that you can knock a guy out and keep playing.
They should make all penalties challengeable.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014