2018 Free Agency

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Bigwehrm
Starter

Re: 2018 Free Agency

Post by Bigwehrm »

dead_poet wrote:
S197 wrote:
dead_poet wrote:Rams saw Joseph and Richardson and said, "That's nice: I'll raise you Suh and Donald."

Rams looking real tough this year.
Ugh was really hoping Suh wouldn't sign there. That's a pretty thuggish defense, hopefully it causes chemistry issues.
And dang, they got Wade running that show. That team is stacked. But you're right, lots of strong personalities. Come to think of it, has tge team given Donald his mega extension yet? If not, he can't be happy the new guy got paid before he did.
New guy only got 1 year. Shouldn't effect Donald at all other than he won't get a deal this year. Have to wait a year.
Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

Bigwehrm wrote: New guy only got 1 year. Shouldn't effect Donald at all other than he won't get a deal this year. Have to wait a year.
Donald is on the fifth year option and scheduled to make under $7M. After paying Suh, they almost have to extend him immediately. The other option is to tag him after the season, but that often doesn't end very well for a team, especially for a talent like Donald. That dream line could turn into a nightmare for them after one year. Gurley and Peters both are in their fourth year, and the fifth year options will be expensive, especially for Gurley who was a top ten pick. Goff will be under a very expensive fifth year option in 2020, unless the extend him sooner which will likely cost $30M plus per year. The Rams will have around $14M in 2018 cap space after the Suh contract is finalized. This all looks like a cap time bomb to me, set to go off in one to two years. LA fans had better really enjoy the 2018 season and hope that injuries don't kill them.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Vikefan60 wrote:
Bigwehrm wrote: New guy only got 1 year. Shouldn't effect Donald at all other than he won't get a deal this year. Have to wait a year.
Donald is on the fifth year option and scheduled to make under $7M. After paying Suh, they almost have to extend him immediately. The other option is to tag him after the season, but that often doesn't end very well for a team, especially for a talent like Donald. That dream line could turn into a nightmare for them after one year. Gurley and Peters both are in their fourth year, and the fifth year options will be expensive, especially for Gurley who was a top ten pick. Goff will be under a very expensive fifth year option in 2020, unless the extend him sooner which will likely cost $30M plus per year. The Rams will have around $14M in 2018 cap space after the Suh contract is finalized. This all looks like a cap time bomb to me, set to go off in one to two years. LA fans had better really enjoy the 2018 season and hope that injuries don't kill them.
They're definitely going all in, taking advantage of those rookie contracts. Maybe Wade can keep them all in check, I guess we're going to find out.

If I'm Bradford, I'm audibling to a run every down.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

S197 wrote:
Vikefan60 wrote:
They're definitely going all in, taking advantage of those rookie contracts. Maybe Wade can keep them all in check, I guess we're going to find out.

If I'm Bradford, I'm audibling to a run every down.
:lol: Maybe better yet, his knee is "just a little sore and he needs to sit out today; certain it will be better next week." I'm really rooting for Suh to channel Haynesworth and just cash the checks and ride this one out. With both him and Peters on the D, maybe we should be wagering on which one blows up in the Rams' face sooner.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Vikings brought back guys that were cheap and let guys walk who got much bigger deals. Net effect was the ability to sign top tier guys in Cousins/Richardson but will need to look to the draft for depth.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2018/analy ... ing-what-i
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Vikings added former Giants WR Tavarres King (18/240/3TD in '17)
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

dead_poet wrote:Vikings added former Giants WR Tavarres King (18/240/3TD in '17)
Rick must be bored. This guy couldnt make a team if they needed 3 WR's/
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
dead_poet wrote:Vikings added former Giants WR Tavarres King (18/240/3TD in '17)
He's bargain shopping and adding guys to compete. All GMs do this. And King isn't terrible.

https://twitter.com/NicholasJOlson/stat ... 58305?s=19

Maybe you're bored?

:confused:
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

dead_poet wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
He's bargain shopping and adding guys to compete. All GMs do this. And King isn't terrible.

https://twitter.com/NicholasJOlson/stat ... 58305?s=19

Maybe you're bored?

:confused:
Yep. More like Rick doing his job. Every guy we sign like this gives us more flexibility in the draft.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

The guy has been on more teams then he has TDs in a few years.

It wasnt a knock on Rick, I was just saying this guy doesnt stand a chance to make the Vikes.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:The guy has been on more teams then he has TDs in a few years.

It wasnt a knock on Rick, I was just saying this guy doesnt stand a chance to make the Vikes.
There are guys we sign every year that probably have no chance. But at the same time, it's the GM's job to try and find diamonds in the rough as well. The last thing you want to do is pass on a guy just because "you dont think he stands a chance to make the team" and in training camp we get bit by the injury bug. It's being a smart GM
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Player A, 18rec, 240yards, 3 TD's: "Rick you moron why are you bringing in this long shot loser?"

Player B, 18rec, 198yards, 2 TD's: "Rick you moron why aren't you paying this guy $3M, he's so clutch!"
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

S197 wrote:Player A, 18rec, 240yards, 3 TD's: "Rick you moron why are you bringing in this long shot loser?"

Player B, 18rec, 198yards, 2 TD's: "Rick you moron why aren't you paying this guy $3M, he's so clutch!"
:lol: Exactly
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Vikefan60 wrote: :lol: Maybe better yet, his knee is "just a little sore and he needs to sit out today; certain it will be better next week." I'm really rooting for Suh to channel Haynesworth and just cash the checks and ride this one out. With both him and Peters on the D, maybe we should be wagering on which one blows up in the Rams' face sooner.
No doubt.

Then again, we ARE talking about Wonder Boy McVay, the presumptive repeat Coach of the Year and heir-apparent to Belichick. "Peters might be a problem for lesser coaches, but I can get the most out of him." (Not an actual quote, but probably could be.)

Yep, Sean. Works every time.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.