move up

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Laserman
Hall of Famer

move up

Post by Laserman »

Any chance Speilman makes a huge trade to move up in the draft? Sure wouldn't mind drafting that Def Lineman Stubbs or something like that. He looks solid and we can really use a pass rusher
ocampo82
Backup

Re: move up

Post by ocampo82 »

Laserman wrote:Any chance Speilman makes a huge trade to move up in the draft? Sure wouldn't mind drafting that Def Lineman Stubbs or something like that. He looks solid and we can really use a pass rusher

there are a few pass rushers that maybe available later in the 1st--or even in the 2nd--than Chubb. Marcus Davenport and Arden Key are solid prospects.

Since cap space will be tight the next few years I think it's more likely that RIck trades down and accumulates more picks. Two picks in this draft's 2nd round would be great considering the interior lineman that should be available in that range.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

ocampo82 wrote:
Laserman wrote:Any chance Speilman makes a huge trade to move up in the draft? Sure wouldn't mind drafting that Def Lineman Stubbs or something like that. He looks solid and we can really use a pass rusher

there are a few pass rushers that maybe available later in the 1st--or even in the 2nd--than Chubb. Marcus Davenport and Arden Key are solid prospects.

Since cap space will be tight the next few years I think it's more likely that RIck trades down and accumulates more picks. Two picks in this draft's 2nd round would be great considering the interior lineman that should be available in that range.
I don’t know if I see him trading down either. Mainly because if he does, we’re probably out of the first and lose the 5th year option on a player
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

If they move at all I see them moving down because usually there is some team looking to get back into the end of the first round to secure a guy they want with a guaranteed 5th round option. If Lamar Jackson is still there at 30 I can see someone trading back into the first for him, he has a high upside as an athlete.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

The only way I see them moving up is for a great OL like Mcglinchey from ND. Why would you say we are in desperate need in pass rushing? Griffen, Hunter, Barr, Kendricks, Hitman, Richardson are all really good at rushing the passer. I agree we need depth at D line but I would rank OL way ahead of DL in terms of need.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

I would prefer to move up in the later rounds. All of these 6th rounders aren't making this team.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I dont see Rick breaking out of his pattern now, after the big signings we have had. He may try and get a few extra picks, but he wont be going for a record.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Unless a player that they are absolutely in love with falls, or they get an offer that they can't refuse, I see them standing pat.

It seems to me that Rick and Zim know that DL or OL is where we need the most improvement, and this draft seems pretty strong for both. Furthermore, there are solid prospects projected for the end of the first at those positions.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Norv Zimmer wrote:The only way I see them moving up is for a great OL like Mcglinchey from ND. Why would you say we are in desperate need in pass rushing? Griffen, Hunter, Barr, Kendricks, Hitman, Richardson are all really good at rushing the passer. I agree we need depth at D line but I would rank OL way ahead of DL in terms of need.
I dont know if Mcglinchey is a "great OL". He was pretty inconsistent on tape. Definitely above average but far from great.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Texas Vike wrote:Unless a player that they are absolutely in love with falls, or they get an offer that they can't refuse, I see them standing pat.

It seems to me that Rick and Zim know that DL or OL is where we need the most improvement, and this draft seems pretty strong for both. Furthermore, there are solid prospects projected for the end of the first at those positions.
Agreed 100%
-Chazz Palminteri
Vikefan60
Backup

Post by Vikefan60 »

ocampo82 wrote:

I agree. If we can swap around and wind up with two mid to high second round picks, I think we may do better than just standing pat. I understand that some want the fifth year option that comes with a first rounder, but those have tended to become very expensive. Unless the player becomes an all Pro, they can be more harm than good.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

I'd just like to see us get both a Def And Off lineman in this draft. Those are two places I think you can never stop addressing
Dakotavike
Starter

Post by Dakotavike »

I personally think this would be a great year to trade down. The problem is that I think there’s a lot of teams in the latter parts of the first round that will be looking to move back. From what I hear this isn’t a year that’s deep with true first round talent. Not everybody can trade back and at some point teams are going to have to make a pick.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

We have already got $36 million invested in our DL for 2018. We need to get some more offensive lineman.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

720pete wrote:We have already got $36 million invested in our DL for 2018. We need to get some more offensive lineman.
Can't think of a team as just 1 year. Next year Richardson won't be back and you will be paying a premium for his position again. 3 tech is as important as any position on the field. Don't rule out a 3 tech to groom like Hurst. If I had to put my money on it, our draft pick will be Price due to his versatility. We love versatility on the Oline (to a fault).