2018 Vikings Free Agency Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: 2018 Vikings Free Agency Thread

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:How many years did he sign for?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
1 too many.
Clearly you havent found a better kicker yet....
Can I ask that you two foe each other and move on?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Vikings signed OL Tom Compton, formerly of the Bears.

Compton started five games at guard last season for the Bears, and he has also made starts at tackle in his career. He should compete for a swing role in Minnesota.
Good depth signing
Per Tomasson, he's close with Cousins (roommates). Cousins went to Atlanta's playoff games two years ago when they made their run. He'll be a happy guy to be reunited with his friend.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

mansquatch wrote:https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vik ... Newsletter

Vikings to sign former Bears lineman, Tom Compton.

From the link:

"Compton started five games for the Bears last season at left and right guard and figures to be a player that can come in and give a spot start when need be. With the Vikings looking at potentially losing Jeremiah Sirles in free agency and Joe Berger to retirement, they were going to be searching for depth during the second wave of free agency as things cooled down from the big splashes to open the league year.

Compton, who is 28-years-old, is a Minnesota native who grew up in Rosemont and is an alum of South Dakota State University. He was a sixth round pick of the 2012 NFL Draft of the Washington Redskins, where he spent the first four seasons of his career. He spent the 2016 season with the Atlanta Falcons before signing with the Bears last year and he has appeared in 71 career games with 15 career starts."

Looks like a depth signing more than anything, but one that they need as it covers an area where they are thin on the roster. Hopefully Compton can be competitive in his role.
^beat ya to it :lol:
Get out of my yard!
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mansquatch wrote:
mansquatch wrote:https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vik ... Newsletter

Vikings to sign former Bears lineman, Tom Compton.

From the link:

"Compton started five games for the Bears last season at left and right guard and figures to be a player that can come in and give a spot start when need be. With the Vikings looking at potentially losing Jeremiah Sirles in free agency and Joe Berger to retirement, they were going to be searching for depth during the second wave of free agency as things cooled down from the big splashes to open the league year.

Compton, who is 28-years-old, is a Minnesota native who grew up in Rosemont and is an alum of South Dakota State University. He was a sixth round pick of the 2012 NFL Draft of the Washington Redskins, where he spent the first four seasons of his career. He spent the 2016 season with the Atlanta Falcons before signing with the Bears last year and he has appeared in 71 career games with 15 career starts."

Looks like a depth signing more than anything, but one that they need as it covers an area where they are thin on the roster. Hopefully Compton can be competitive in his role.
^beat ya to it :lol:
Get out of my yard!
:lol: It was literally 1 minute apart
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I like it. In addition to everything else, I think this is around the age OL start to come into their prime these days.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I mean he's 18th in FG%. Thats hovering around league average. Extra points I mentioned were not good. It's concerning but I feel a lot more comfortable with him than Walsh. We should definitely bring in competition but saying that it's a terrible move and so on given what is currently out there, is 100% false IMO
It's not a bad signing considering the options, no. Hopefully DP is right and he's got his issues worked out. He did improve at the end of the year.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Cliff wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:Exactly. Forbath is much better than Walsh. He's not the best kicker in the NFL but he's certainly not the worst.
He's down there. He's below average on normal FGs and he's *terrible* on extra points (compared with the league, of course) - which is a significant amount of his kicks. Half of his kicks last year were XPs and hopefully that ratio trends more towards XPs next year as well.

Kicker is in need of significant improvement. Whether or not better options are there is up for debate but if we should be seeking improvement shouldn't be, I don't think.
This is my concern and there should be better options. When Cairo went down in KC, they picked up Butker off the streets and he hit 90% of his FG's and every PAT. If another team can find a solid kicker during the season, Prifer should be able to find an upgrade in the offseason or else why is he here?

And maybe he will. I don't know the details of the contract, hopefully none of it is guaranteed. I'm just worried until I see some competition.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote:
Cliff wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:Exactly. Forbath is much better than Walsh. He's not the best kicker in the NFL but he's certainly not the worst.
He's down there. He's below average on normal FGs and he's *terrible* on extra points (compared with the league, of course) - which is a significant amount of his kicks. Half of his kicks last year were XPs and hopefully that ratio trends more towards XPs next year as well.

Kicker is in need of significant improvement. Whether or not better options are there is up for debate but if we should be seeking improvement shouldn't be, I don't think.
This is my concern and there should be better options. When Cairo went down in KC, they picked up Butker off the streets and he hit 90% of his FG's and every PAT. If another team can find a solid kicker during the season, Prifer should be able to find an upgrade in the offseason or else why is he here?

And maybe he will. I don't know the details of the contract, hopefully none of it is guaranteed. I'm just worried until I see some competition.
Butker was an UDFA. There’s none of those really floating out there right now until after the draft. The FAs out there are not good. At all
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I still want to know who they could have brought in (at this point) that is a better option than Forbath? To me this is just posting because there is nothing else to post about. It isn't like the 2nd coming of Morten Anderson was out there on the market and we picked Forbath over him. I'm not sure there was a better option than Forbath out there. Maybe there will be when the draft comes around and then we can get all bent out of shape about it.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Per Goessling, Berger has retired.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Yes Berger is gone ... officially announced...

I like the Compton signing... he seems to be a decent
running blocking Guard ...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

jackal wrote:Yes Berger is gone ... officially announced...

I like the Compton signing... he seems to be a decent
running blocking Guard ...
Meh. He's been s reserve for most of his career. I'd hope we do better.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote:I still want to know who they could have brought in (at this point) that is a better option than Forbath? To me this is just posting because there is nothing else to post about. It isn't like the 2nd coming of Morten Anderson was out there on the market and we picked Forbath over him. I'm not sure there was a better option than Forbath out there. Maybe there will be when the draft comes around and then we can get all bent out of shape about it.
Exactly. That is why I listed the options so it will open some fans eyes to see how bad the kickers were out there. Like I said, Forbath is far and away our best option right now. Just takes a little research to find that out. The ones that dont look into it are the ones that get bent out of shape over it
-Chazz Palminteri
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Tom Johnson signed with Seattle
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

@CourtneyRCronin
37m
Vikings departed free agents (updated) Keenum - Denver Bradford - Arizona Bridgewater - Jets McKinnon - San Francisco
Sirles - Carolina Johnson - Seattle Lamur - Oakland Brock - Denver

@christomasson
19m
Remaining #Vikings unrestricted free agents are CBs Terence Newman and Marcus Sherels, DT Shamar Stephen, WR Michael Floyd and RB Bishop Sankey. Vikings hoping to keep Newman and Sherels, Stephen is making the visiting rounds, Floyd and Sankey not expected back.