Vikings sign QB- Kirk Cousins to a 3 year, ~$86 million deal

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: Vikings sign QB- Kirk Cousins to a 3 year, ~$86 million

Post by S197 »

fonzbear2000 wrote:I don't understand why everyone is so excited and supportive of this. Cousins started every game with the Redskins for the last 3 years and look at their win loss records. 9-7, 8-7-1, and finally a pathetic 7-9. Before he got injured last year, Bradford played an amazing game and Keenum took the team to the championship game. Why on earth aren't the Vikings keeping those 2 for the upcoming season? At the very least, they should have kept one of them. I'd love to hear the explanations from the owner and coaches of the Vikings.
You realize Bradford and Keenum got $38 million combined right? There's simply no way the Vikings could or should have paid that. They got their QB and backup for $10M less than that. All 3 QBs were looking to be a starter (or in Teddys case at least compete), I just don't see how it would have been possible to keep 2 of them given their market value.

So then you have to choose one. Do you go with Bradford who lasted one game and a history of not being able to last the season? Teddy who hasn't played in two years and is one non-contact injury away from the end of his career? Or Keenum who played admirably but could be a flash in the pan?

Or go after a guy who has stayed healthy and thrown for 4,000 yards every year for the last 3 seasons.

Any scenario is a risk but the main issue with the Vikings is a lack of continuity at the QB position. You need a guy who is consistent and can stay on the field. Cousins fits the bill. Guaranteeing that much cash is a big risk but there's risk with all 4 guys. I think you make the best risk assessment you can and hope things work out. No one on this roster last year has the body of work and health of Cousins.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Just saw this tweet which is an excellent point:
For those freaking out about the vikings back-loading Cousins' contract

The NFL salary cap has increased by almost $22 million since 2016

Even if it only increases by $15 million over the next two seasons, they'll be fine
I never thought about this. It's probably a lot smarter to back load it because you're getting more and more money every year to spend by doing that. One more reason I think we will be fine keeping this defense together
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

S197 wrote:
fonzbear2000 wrote:I don't understand why everyone is so excited and supportive of this. Cousins started every game with the Redskins for the last 3 years and look at their win loss records. 9-7, 8-7-1, and finally a pathetic 7-9. Before he got injured last year, Bradford played an amazing game and Keenum took the team to the championship game. Why on earth aren't the Vikings keeping those 2 for the upcoming season? At the very least, they should have kept one of them. I'd love to hear the explanations from the owner and coaches of the Vikings.
You realize Bradford and Keenum got $38 million combined right? There's simply no way the Vikings could or should have paid that. They got their QB and backup for $10M less than that. All 3 QBs were looking to be a starter (or in Teddys case at least compete), I just don't see how it would have been possible to keep 2 of them given their market value.

So then you have to choose one. Do you go with Bradford who lasted one game and a history of not being able to last the season? Teddy who hasn't played in two years and is one non-contact injury away from the end of his career? Or Keenum who played admirably but could be a flash in the pan?

Or go after a guy who has stayed healthy and thrown for 4,000 yards every year for the last 3 seasons.

Any scenario is a risk but the main issue with the Vikings is a lack of continuity at the QB position. You need a guy who is consistent and can stay on the field. Cousins fits the bill. Guaranteeing that much cash is a big risk but there's risk with all 4 guys. I think you make the best risk assessment you can and hope things work out. No one on this roster last year has the body of work and health of Cousins.
Cousins is better than Keenum at the game of football, period. If we paid Keenum starter money I would have been mad, Cousins played for a not too great Washington team it is nothing close to the all around team that we have now. Arguably the best player Cousins had on his team was Jordan Reed who when healthy is a Beast at TE rivaling GRonk IMO but was often injured.

One thing most people arent talking about is how #### Washington and DAniel Snyder treated Cousins. When RG3 went down it was Cousins who stepped in and played great. After that season Cousins and his Agent wanted a 4 year 18 mil per year with like 20 guarenteed, the Skins shot it down and franchised him. The next season as the startrer under the tag Cousins played great againlike close to 5000 yards, after the season the Skins offered Cousins the same contract that he wanted the year before, Cousins shot it down so they Franchised him again. So now after another good season we snag in and guarentee his contract. I bet Cousins is so happy and grateful to the Vikingsfor having their confidence in him.

I think we are going to have a crazy good season in 2018.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I don't know what happened behind the scenes, but if Keenum didn't press hard to be a viking and make it overtly clear he would take 8-10 per year for a longterm contract with Minnesota he and his agent really blew it. If he finishes his contract in Denver he still probably just bounces around as a journeyman. The only chance he had to be a legit starting QB was to commit to the Vikings at a low enough price tag to allow them to keep an awesome group around him.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

NFL.com did all these rankings. We were up there in a lot of them

#6 OL- http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... line-units

Cousins #9 deep thrower- http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... wers-of-17

Diggs #1 tight window WR- http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -receivers
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Another reason for a 3 year deal?
The significance of 2020

The three-year deals aren't a coincidence, because that's how many years are left on the current collective bargaining agreement. Nobody knows what the rules will be for contracts and the salary cap in 2021 and beyond, or whether another lockout looms in 2021. TV deals expire around that time too, so projecting league revenue much further into the future is also risky.

But 2020 is a weird year, per the collective bargaining agreement, and its weirdness is likely to continue to affect contract structures this year and over the next two. The CBA, for example, establishes a "30 percent rule." Any player under contract in 2020 and beyond is prohibited from earning a salary more than 30 percent higher than his 2020 salary in any subsequent season. So, for example, the Hitchens deal runs through 2022, but his salary actually goes down from $7.8 million in 2020 to $5.8 million in 2021 before rising again to $7.8 million in 2022.

Another 2020-specific rule to watch is one that allows teams to designate one franchise player and one transition player that year, as opposed to one or the other. And it's also worth noting that there are no post-June 1 release designations allowed in 2020, which could affect the way teams make decisions on roster cuts as early as next year. As the end of the current CBA draws closer, teams and agents are going to have to work even harder to structure deals in ways that dance around that ominous "final league year."
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2282 ... best-deals
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

People need to realize that the season should not be Super Bowl or bust. On paper, this team should be in contention for the Super Bowl. Unfortunately, the games are not played on paper.

Essentially, this move is about stability at QB and the chance to compete for the playoffs and beyond. It is not a guarantee we are going to the Super Bowl and winning it. Of course, anything less than 10-6/playoffs would be disastrous (not barring major injury of course). However, the Super Bowl narrative gets old. I often feel people don't appreciate how hard it is to win in the NFL, much less get to a Super Bowl.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Zimmer made the comment that he might be out of a job if he doesn't get QB right this time around and he could be right (though if he keeps getting double digit wins it'll be pretty tough to see him go). I think he took the safest bet and hopefully in the end it works out.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:People need to realize that the season should not be Super Bowl or bust. On paper, this team should be in contention for the Super Bowl. Unfortunately, the games are not played on paper.

Essentially, this move is about stability at QB and the chance to compete for the playoffs and beyond. It is not a guarantee we are going to the Super Bowl and winning it. Of course, anything less than 10-6/playoffs would be disastrous (not barring major injury of course). However, the Super Bowl narrative gets old. I often feel people don't appreciate how hard it is to win in the NFL, much less get to a Super Bowl.
Agreed good post
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Cliff wrote:Zimmer made the comment that he might be out of a job if he doesn't get QB right this time around and he could be right (though if he keeps getting double digit wins it'll be pretty tough to see him go). I think he took the safest bet and hopefully in the end it works out.
I think he should be fine. It's not like we're taking a chance on a guy like a Bradford (who has an injury history) or a Keenum (who has had consistency issues). Cousins is a top 10 QB in just about every statistical category you could ask for. And he's been like that for 3 years now. This guy is a proven QB. And with what he has around him as well as the defense, this team is built to win and win now.
-Chazz Palminteri
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Cliff wrote:Zimmer made the comment that he might be out of a job if he doesn't get QB right this time around and he could be right (though if he keeps getting double digit wins it'll be pretty tough to see him go). I think he took the safest bet and hopefully in the end it works out.
I think he should be fine. It's not like we're taking a chance on a guy like a Bradford (who has an injury history) or a Keenum (who has had consistency issues). Cousins is a top 10 QB in just about every statistical category you could ask for. And he's been like that for 3 years now. This guy is a proven QB. And with what he has around him as well as the defense, this team is built to win and win now.
Yeah, not much risk in going with Cousins tbh. This team made Keenum look like a probowler and unless something absolutely bizarre happens like DeFilippo has no idea how to call plays I would expect Cousins to at bare minimum play as well as Keenum did.

It'd be different I think if Zimmer was like "I quit unless Teddy's my QB" and then Teddy gets hurt again and we waste the season.

Now if his defense can't figure out how to stop what the saints did in the second half and the eagles did in the NFCCG that'd be something he should worry about.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I often feel people don't appreciate how hard it is to win in the NFL, much less get to a Super Bowl.
I feel as though anyone who has been a Vikings fan for any meaningful amount of time can appreciate this to a much greater degree than most other teams.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote:
HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I often feel people don't appreciate how hard it is to win in the NFL, much less get to a Super Bowl.
I feel as though anyone who has been a Vikings fan for any meaningful amount of time can appreciate this to a much greater degree than most other teams.
I think it makes us want it more, less patient and unwilling to accept much less until it happens.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mondry wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Yeah, not much risk in going with Cousins tbh. This team made Keenum look like a probowler and unless something absolutely bizarre happens like DeFilippo has no idea how to call plays I would expect Cousins to at bare minimum play as well as Keenum did.

It'd be different I think if Zimmer was like "I quit unless Teddy's my QB" and then Teddy gets hurt again and we waste the season.

Now if his defense can't figure out how to stop what the saints did in the second half and the eagles did in the NFCCG that'd be something he should worry about.
Again I don’t buy the whole “saints second half thing”. We had a punt blocked and threw a pick all inside the 50 and they got 2 tds off of it. How is that on the defense. We only gave up one true TD that game. The rest were caused by bonehead plays. Philly yeah they played horrible but many like to throw the saints game out there and that’s not the case. It’s no easy task no matter how good you are to stop Drew Brees from scoring inside the 50
-Chazz Palminteri