[Rumor] Kirk Cousins a Vikings for 27 million/year

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PhillyVike
Practice Squad

Re: [Rumor] Kirk Cousins a Vikings for 27 million/year

Post by PhillyVike »

Hi Spaceman, welcome.

Thanks for spending the time to offer a well articulated observation from a WAS POV.

Curious, would you rather have Kirk Cousins for $25-$30MM/year or Alex Smith for $22-$25MM/year?

A.Smith is going to make $17MM this year with the Redskins on a 1 year deal left over from the Chiefs contract but I could see him going for at least $22MM next year if they're paying Kennum and Bradford $20MM this year.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Knocking Cousins for his turnovers is a bit like knocking Teddy for his lack of yards/touchdowns. QBs play within a context. If Teddy had been as aggressive as he wanted to be the last year he started, the Vikings wouldn't have won 11 games. For the Redskins, Cousins had to be aggressive in order to give the team a chance. I find these statistical arguments to be totally asinine about 95 percent of the time. I'm excited to see what Cousins can do, and I hope he does dial it down a bit given the circumstances. I want him to be aggressive but not reckless. He may play complimentary football...he may even play the best football he has ever played AND his numbers be down. I want to see efficiency and maturity. With these weapons, that could mean 5000 yards, or it could mean 3,500 and home field advantage. No Favre 2.0.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

fiestavike wrote:Knocking Cousins for his turnovers is a bit like knocking Teddy for his lack of yards/touchdowns. QBs play within a context. If Teddy had been as aggressive as he wanted to be the last year he started, the Vikings wouldn't have won 11 games. For the Redskins, Cousins had to be aggressive in order to give the team a chance. I find these statistical arguments to be totally asinine about 95 percent of the time. I'm excited to see what Cousins can do, and I hope he does dial it down a bit given the circumstances. I want him to be aggressive but not reckless. He may play complimentary football...he may even play the best football he has ever played AND his numbers be down. I want to see efficiency and maturity. With these weapons, that could mean 5000 yards, or it could mean 3,500 and home field advantage. No Favre 2.0.
I want to see 5,000 yards and home field advantage :smilevike:
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Spaceman Spiff
Waterboy

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PhillyVike wrote:Hi Spaceman, welcome.

Thanks for spending the time to offer a well articulated observation from a WAS POV.

Curious, would you rather have Kirk Cousins for $25-$30MM/year or Alex Smith for $22-$25MM/year?

A.Smith is going to make $17MM this year with the Redskins on a 1 year deal left over from the Chiefs contract but I could see him going for at least $22MM next year if they're paying Kennum and Bradford $20MM this year.
Glad to be here, thanks for the warm welcomes.

I'd have to go back and look but I am pretty that we are paying Smith that 17 million this year but we also negotiated a deal for after this season which will pay him in the 24 million dollar range.

Add to the fact that Smith is a few years older, I'd rather have Cousins for the contract he signed with you guys. I'm not anti Alex Smith as I think he's pretty solid in his own right, but what really pissed me off about that trade is that we gave up Kendall Fuller who was ranked as the best slot corner in the league last year. Our output from the QB position should be roughly the same but our defense got worse, something we couldn't afford. The Alex Smith trade didn't make us better, it arguably made us worse and I'm not even bringing up the draft pick we sent away, either.

Being a Redskins fan sucks. They're never down to do a true rebuild, they're always trying to sell us that they can be good this year and have a shot at the playoffs, which is what this trade was all about...trying to maintain what we have and being adverse to build a team properly. Had they locked Cousins up 3 years ago or even a season ago, that deal would be looking like a bargain right now.
PhillyVike
Practice Squad

Post by PhillyVike »

fiestavike wrote:Knocking Cousins for his turnovers is a bit like knocking Teddy for his lack of yards/touchdowns. QBs play within a context. If Teddy had been as aggressive as he wanted to be the last year he started, the Vikings wouldn't have won 11 games. For the Redskins, Cousins had to be aggressive in order to give the team a chance. I find these statistical arguments to be totally asinine about 95 percent of the time. I'm excited to see what Cousins can do, and I hope he does dial it down a bit given the circumstances. I want him to be aggressive but not reckless. He may play complimentary football...he may even play the best football he has ever played AND his numbers be down. I want to see efficiency and maturity. With these weapons, that could mean 5000 yards, or it could mean 3,500 and home field advantage. No Favre 2.0.
I could see the Zimmer stare after a MN QB "Goes off the reservation" AKA throws a pick having the same value as -5 interceptions from whatever number xyz QB had on a previous team the previous year. The man hates nothing more than when the offense puts his defense in bad positions because of unnecessary risk.

Like many of our players, Kirk will be in the best position to play the best football he can possibly play. Watch his completion %, yardage and interceptions all improve.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Maelstrom88 wrote:
I want to see 5,000 yards and home field advantage :smilevike:
Sure, that's would be nice. anything that ends in homefield would be great, but If that happens to involve elite efficiency from Cousins with fewer yards while leading the league in rushing yards/attempts, that could well be an even more sustainable path to the Super Bowl with what the Vikings have on defense.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PhillyVike
Practice Squad

Post by PhillyVike »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I'd have to go back and look but I am pretty that we are paying Smith that 17 million this year but we also negotiated a deal for after this season which will pay him in the 24 million dollar range.

Add to the fact that Smith is a few years older, I'd rather have Cousins for the contract he signed with you guys. I'm not anti Alex Smith as I think he's pretty solid in his own right, but what really pissed me off about that trade is that we gave up Kendall Fuller who was ranked as the best slot corner in the league last year. Our output from the QB position should be roughly the same but our defense got worse, something we couldn't afford. The Alex Smith trade didn't make us better, it arguably made us worse and I'm not even bringing up the draft pick we sent away, either.

Being a Redskins fan sucks. They're never down to do a true rebuild, they're always trying to sell us that they can be good this year and have a shot at the playoffs, which is what this trade was all about...trying to maintain what we have and being adverse to build a team properly. Had they locked Cousins up 3 years ago or even a season ago, that deal would be looking like a bargain right now.
I don't understand that deal either.

Fuller was a top 5 CB in 2017. PFF has him right behind Jalen Ramsey and Marshon Lattimore. Then you have to give up a 3rd rounder too. Rough. I guess they were ok with paying the premium to get an early crack at QB's this year. I watched an interview with Gruden recently and he looked like a guy who had just ran a marathon (not a happy one) when asked about Cousins/Smith. His main point of optimism was thank god for QB stability moving forward.

For what it's worth it sucks being a Vikings fan too. Every few years the team will lure us into the most exciting situation just to be dramatically dropped off a bridge in the playoffs **knocking on wood again**.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Hey guys,

Die hard Redskins fan here. I'm glad Cousins signed with you guys because now I have a legit reason to root for a second team and somewhat escape the purgatory of being a Skins fan. I'm not saying I'm trying to be a die-hard Vikings fan but I will be taking an interest and watching as many Vikings games as I can this year.

You're going to like Cousins. Sure, he'll throw a bad pick at an inopportune time but he's also going to work his #### off for your team and come prepared each and every Sunday. No QB is perfect, Cousins isn't but he's made his way from being a mid round pick and a backup to being a starting caliber QB. IMO, he's a top 10 QB.

He didn't have his best year statistically last year but when you realize our inept front office took away his two best receivers (DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon) , had absolutely no running game, spotty offensive line and didn't have one of his best playmakers healthy for practically the entire season (Jordan Reed), and lost a dynamic playmaker who was having a breakout season partway through it (Chris Thompson) it's a miracle that he somehow threw for 4,000 yards and as many touchdowns as he did. The picks aren't a terrible number to me, especially considering that most teams knew we were going to throw it anyway and that Cousins was essentially a one man show. IMO, throwing for 4,000 yards when your leading receiver didn't come close to 1,000 is a big feat.

He's not afraid to throw it downfield or go for big chunks of yards, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with Adam Theilen and Stefon Diggs. You also have a stout defense which will help, too. You guys also play in a dome, which is nice. The Fed Ex field conditions are notoriously crappy and Cousins can scramble a little bit and buy some time with his feet so I think he can improve there, too.

I'm really happy for you guys, you got a good QB that's also going to be a part of the community off the field and be a good citizen. Certainly no off the field drama to be leery of, he's a really stand up individual.

Not sure how much time I'll be spending on here but thanks for allowing me to be a part of what looks to be a great community. Wouldn't be surprised if there's suddenly a lot more Vikings fans in the DC area this week.
You're the second Skins fan that has came on here and he also said the same thing. Thanks for the input. I've been saying a lot of similar things as well. I cant stand when fans just look at "record". There is so much more behind that. Washington did not put a good TEAM around him. I'm so glad we made this signing. Hope to see you on here more.
You're absolutely right. The Skins failed to put a good team around him.

One thing that I forgot to mention which you guys should appreciate after Bradford and Bridgewater, he's also very durable. I believe he's started all 16 games each season throughout the time he was a starter for us. I've seen him take some massive hits and get back up.
Yeah, but he's not been on the Vikings yet. Give it time. Sugarman better slather his knees in adamantium.

(yes, I realize that would inhibit his ability to flex his knee. It's the sentiment I'm going for here nerds)
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Spaceman Spiff
Waterboy

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PhillyVike wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I don't understand that deal either.

Fuller was a top 5 CB in 2017. PFF has him right behind Jalen Ramsey and Marshon Lattimore. Then you have to give up a 3rd rounder too. Rough. I guess they were ok with paying the premium to get an early crack at QB's this year. I watched an interview with Gruden recently and he looked like a guy who had just ran a marathon (not a happy one) when asked about Cousins/Smith. His main point of optimism was thank god for QB stability moving forward.

For what it's worth it sucks being a Vikings fan too. Every few years the team will lure us into the most exciting situation just to be dramatically dropped off a bridge in the playoffs **knocking on wood again**.
Yeah, but at least you guys can have some exciting seasons. Your ownership seems engaged to do what it takes.

If you picked that up from Gruden, it's probably because this horse has been beat to a bloody, nasty pulp for three years. It's nice to have some closure here. Sports talk radio, journalists, fans...for three years have been dissecting every little thing Cousins does and how that would affect his price and if he was going to be here long term. Cousins couldn't fart without someone trying to determine if it meant he was going to sign a multi-year deal here.

It's been absolutely exhausting, I'm glad it's over. I think the writing was on the wall for awhile that he wouldn't be back and the Smith trade verified that.

Someone on our board said that if Cousins doesn't get you past the NFC Title game this year, then it's a bust. Do you guys view it that way?
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Not at all. It's only a bust if he gets injured or all of the sudden turns into a horrible QB imo.
mael·strom

PhillyVike
Practice Squad

Post by PhillyVike »

I'd echo Maelstrom.

If he had an Andrew Luck kind of injury or he threw 20+ picks that cost us games is about where I'd start to panic.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Well said. Dont really care how much yards or tds he throws, HFA should be the goal this year
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

After taking some time to think about the signing I have to say I'm not thrilled about it. Teddy, Sam, Cousins, Keenum, they're all some what similar in talent with keenum having the lowest ceiling so we essentially paid the most for the healthiest guy and given that it's the NFL and one good hit (or non contact in some cases..) can change all that it's hard for me to be excited.

With that said this was the safest route they could have gone at the most important position in sports so I don't blame them and I don't hate it. My main concern will be how he plays against elite defenses in the playoffs. Keenum had a strong regular season but I always knew he'd be a weakness in the playoffs. Cousins fumbles a lot and I can see the strip sack the eagles had on Keenum playing out again in that match up with Cousins.

Like I eluded to earlier I think Cousins ceiling is higher than Keenums but that's built into it when you look at the costs of each guys new contract. That means for me it's super bowl or bust cause we could already get to the NFCCG with Keenum at a cheaper price. The only reason to make a change like this is to get over the hump.
Spaceman Spiff
Waterboy

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It's nice to see a levelheaded approach from you guys. I think part of the reason that some Skins fans were sour on him is that Skins fans, for years, were embroiled in a QB controversy. It's been a QB controversy for literally 25 years. We've been conditioned for it. Some Skins fans don't know a good thing when they've got it.

You guys are going to appreciate him, I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

·

12m

Kirk Cousins now officially signed to three-year, $84 million fully guaranteed contract. One more detail: deal contains another $6 million in incentives that could boost the total value of the deal to a maximum of $90 million, per source.

Mike McCartney

@MikeMcCartney7

Signed, sealed and delivered. Congrats @KirkCousins8 signing a 3 year deal with the @Vikings!

I, for one, hope he reaches those incentives
mael·strom