Jet cashes in: 4 years $30 million with SF

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Jet cashes in: 4 years $30 million with SF

Post by 720pete »

The four highest-paid running backs in the NFL for the 2018 season are set to be Le’Veon Bell, Devonta Freeman, LeSean McCoy, and … Jerick McKinnon? That’s where we’re at after the 49ers agreed to sign the running back to a four-year, $30 million contract Wednesday, according to ESPN.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/jer ... ency-2018/

Wow :shock:
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Jet cashes in: 4 years $30 million with SF

Post by YikesVikes »

720pete wrote:
The four highest-paid running backs in the NFL for the 2018 season are set to be Le’Veon Bell, Devonta Freeman, LeSean McCoy, and … Jerick McKinnon? That’s where we’re at after the 49ers agreed to sign the running back to a four-year, $30 million contract Wednesday, according to ESPN.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/jer ... ency-2018/

Wow :shock:
This is absolutely great for us and probably bumped him up to fourth round compensation pick. I expect that he's going to get cut with in 2 years or they're going to ask him to renegotiate his contract. No team is going to pay someone that probably is better off splitting times that amount of money
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Loved Jet on the Vikings. He got knocked around so much each game but always seemed to hop right back up. That being said, I'm glad someone else is paying him that kind of money because we can get similar production from a late round RB.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

wow, the 49ers overpayed. Decent back but surely not worth that kind of money.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Jerick McKinnon was the third-best running back on the Vikings last year.

He is now the 4th highest-paid running back in the league.

Mind-boggling.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Jerick McKinnon was the third-best running back on the Vikings last year.

Mind-boggling.
*Second best
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:Jerick McKinnon was the third-best running back on the Vikings last year.

Mind-boggling.
*Second best
Yes. Money talks. Mckinnon gets 8 million and Latavius is going to restructure or get cut. Its not even close.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote:

Mind-boggling.
*Second best
He was better than Murray in the beginning og the year but Murray was way better in the second half, imo.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Not way better in the end, but better. I bet his foot was bothering him because he went from no power and getting tackled if someone touched his shoe, to a decent power back.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I'm not as surprised about this as many seem to be. Different players are worth more to different teams because of different schemes. Even while sharing snaps Jet was top 15 in most every receiving RB category. (Yards, targets, catches, etc.)

A little bit about the 49ers scheme;
When Kyle Shanahan accepted the position as the San Francisco 49ers head coach, he brought with him his highly-touted offensive system.

Doug Farrar of Bleacher Report ranked the 10 best offensive schemes in the NFL, and Shanahan's "pre-snap passing game" landed his offense at No. 1.

“Many teams use motion to help the quarterback discern whether a defense is playing man or zone, and some teams are especially good as using motion to gain positional advantages,” Farrar said. “But under Shanahan's watch, pre-snap motion becomes a crazy quilt in which any skill position player can start anywhere and move anywhere else.”

Shanahan’s pre-snap motion success is exemplified by Atlanta Falcons running back tandem Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman who combined for 85 receptions for 883 receiving yards last season.

“Running backs Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman might start in the backfield together and each move into the receiver group—perhaps one in the slot and one outside,” Farrar added. “A Shanahan staple was to take fullback Patrick DiMarco and move him from the backfield to the outside receiver formation—something fullbacks don't generally do. But DiMarco caught seven passes for 52 yards in the regular season and three more for 43 yards in the playoffs, and he never carried the ball. He was a blocker and receiver, and that was that.”
That sounds like an environment he can thrive in if he can stay healthy.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Cliff wrote:I'm not as surprised about this as many seem to be. Different players are worth more to different teams because of different schemes. Even while sharing snaps Jet was top 15 in most every receiving RB category. (Yards, targets, catches, etc.)

I agree. I think a lot of fans have been slow to understand the degree of specialization in the NFL. A guy who can do a couple at an elite level is worth more than a guy who can do 5 things well, especially in the skill positions. A 'five tool' RB would be great to have, but being somebody who has to be accounted for situationally is more valuable in creating mismatches than a guy who is more versatile and less 'special' at any aspect of the game. The Patriots 'small ball' approach opened the door to a whole bunch of undersized, quicker than fast guys, who became role players only because of the things they do well, rather than being out of the league because of the things they can't do well.

McKinnon is a unique talent because he has his strengths and is well rounded enough not to have glaring weaknesses in other realms.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
tzinc
Backup

Post by tzinc »

completely overpaid people were complaining about Cousins deal?
this is ludicrous
49ers are going straight into the dumpster with their management scheme
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

tzinc wrote:completely overpaid people were complaining about Cousins deal?
this is ludicrous
I'll take that bet. Jet is going to get a lot of touches in SF. He's being paid like RB/WR, as he should be.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

dead_poet wrote:
tzinc wrote:completely overpaid people were complaining about Cousins deal?
this is ludicrous
I'll take that bet. Jet is going to get a lot of touches in SF. He's being paid like RB/WR, as he should be.
Which bet? That San Fran will continue to be in the dumpster? I think they really went over board this year, and they will next year too, if able. They are the new Lions as far as management. I do love the Jimmy G FA a lot. But as we have seen this year, just an outstanding (which Jimmy has yet to prove he is) will not win you a SB. The way the Vikes are going at it is a much better way. Im not as big on others with the Cousins signing for 30 a year, and it isnt a front side loaded contract. I think saving 10 Mil and taking a chance on Case may have been a better move simply because, for whatever reason, the Vikings fall apart, and mostly on the D side of the ball, in big games, at horrible times. And that hard to overcome even for professionals when the D is ussually so good. Plus the D like the bend but dont break idea a little too much. I know its worked for them so far, but luck runs out, and when it does, it would be nice to have extra money lying around to pick up the good FA's.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Garoppolo did not win the last 5 games by himself. 49ers had a pretty good team in 2017 except for the QB position. In the first half of the season, they lost 5 games by 3 points or less (2 in OT). With decent QB play from the start, they could have competed with the Rams for the NFC West.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014