Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Next years QB

Post by Texas Vike »

What a drastic change for Cousins if he does land with the Vikings. To go from a franchise that disrespected him from the get go and surrounded him with subpar talent to a place that has a unique culture and vibe going and loads of talent at every position BUT QB.

Could make some sweet alchemy! :govikes: :ripple:
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Texas Vike wrote:What a drastic change for Cousins if he does land with the Vikings. To go from a franchise that disrespected him from the get go and surrounded him with subpar talent to a place that has a unique culture and vibe going and loads of talent at every position BUT QB.

Could make some sweet alchemy! :govikes: :ripple:
Not gonna lie I'm pretty stoked if it plays out like it should! :govikes:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:
TSonn wrote:
S197 wrote:Windows in the NFL are very real and are small. Just look at the last decade in the NFC. NINE different teams in 10 years have made the SB. Unless you're New England you don't have the luxury of building a perpetual contender. When you have your window, you go all in. You don't slow play because the nature of the salary cap is it's an equalizer.

Cousins is worth the risk. Look how long it's been since we've had any stability at QB. It's the last piece of the puzzle to get right.
I agree. Cousins could be the guy to put this team over the top during the window, and, if he performs even better when he gets here, could extend that window a bit longer.
My worry, as some have expressed, is his moderately better numbers compared to Case at a likely grossly higher salary. His performance under pressure is also cause for concern. He's not 5x or whatever better than Case and worse in some categories. I'd rather keep the TEAM together that would be better as a unit than a minor upgrade at QB at the expense of other positions.
I posted a compilation that showed the number of open reads and underthrown balls Keenum had this year. I don't think Cousins is an elite QB but I think he's significantly better than Case.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote:I posted a compilation that showed the number of open reads and underthrown balls Keenum had this year. I don't think Cousins is an elite QB but I think he's significantly better than Case.

Agreed. Case threw some really bad balls this year and made some really bad decisions. Nearly cost us the game vs Washington, throwing a terrible pick in the playoffs vs the saints. Case has that “off the back foot throw” where he would just heave it and he got very lucky at times. Ponder use to do a similar throw (no im not comparing the two) but Case was far from perfect. I definitely think Cousins is significantly better as well
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
S197 wrote:I posted a compilation that showed the number of open reads and underthrown balls Keenum had this year. I don't think Cousins is an elite QB but I think he's significantly better than Case.

Agreed. Case threw some really bad balls this year and made some really bad decisions. Nearly cost us the game vs Washington, throwing a terrible pick in the playoffs vs the saints. Case has that “off the back foot throw” where he would just heave it and he got very lucky at times. Ponder use to do a similar throw (no im not comparing the two) but Case was far from perfect. I definitely think Cousins is significantly better as well
Yeah Kirk is so great he has a few SB wins under his belt, a great W/L percetage...er wait he has neither, just a few stats that are meaningless if you cant make it to the big game, especially after making 30+ mil a year. He looks to me like a a quicksand hole to throw our money in and then suffer the consequences for years to come. And to think WASH had the next Brady on their team but decided to to Alex Smith out. I know, I know, its all everyone else's fault on the teams Kirk was on. Kirk never threw the crucial INT.
Rock45
Rookie

Post by Rock45 »

Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:

Yeah Kirk is so great he has a few SB wins under his belt, a great W/L percetage...er wait he has neither, just a few stats that are meaningless if you cant make it to the big game, especially after making 30+ mil a year. He looks to me like a a quicksand hole to throw our money in and then suffer the consequences for years to come. And to think WASH had the next Brady on their team but decided to to Alex Smith out. I know, I know, its all everyone else's fault on the teams Kirk was on. Kirk never threw the crucial INT.
To be fair to Kirk Cousins, we are talking the Washington Redskins, owned by possibly one of the worst guys out there in Dan Snyder.

Dan Snyder at a glance
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:

Again you refusing to look into anything. Coming from a skins fan no less and you still sit there in denial and act like you know Kirk Cousins better. But since he has no SB wins now so that’s why we shouldn’t pay him. Lol dude just listen to yourself. You’ve yet to say a single word about the salary cap and QB money. You don’t address anything. You just post nonsense like you did above and bring nothing to the board. I truly don’t understand why you post sometimes when it’s just going to say stuff like you posted above.

You’re continuing to dig yourself into a deeper hole with the whole SB thing. Answer me this, (even though you won’t because that’s how you operate), put Aaron Rodgers on the redskins all of the last 3 seasons. Does he win a SB with that team?? My guess is, you can’t answer that. Because the answer makes your opinion as absurd as it sounds. Dan Marino didn’t win a SB in 17 years of starting. Kirk cousins has started 3 years on a bad team just like Marino. Not trying to compare the two but that shows how little weight your argument carries.

Kirk Cousins isn’t the first “non-best QB” in the league to become the leagues highest paid. And he won’t be the last. It’s a continuous trend that won’t end anytime soon. That’s just knowing football. Not hard to figure out. But according to your standards I guess Trent Dilfer, Doug Williams, Jim McMahon, Jeff hostetler, brad Johnson, joe Flacco and Nick Foles are all better QBs than Cousins and Dan Marino for that matter because “they won SBs”. Makes complete sense :roll:
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Ovechkin8 wrote:Skins fan here. Since I'm a glutton for punishment I had to chime in here since I can't help myself and Skins drama is fun (pretty much all we have)

I have read Broncos and Jets message boards too in regards to Cousins and I find it fascinating so figured I'd give you guys some perspective.

I've watched 99.99% of every snap Cousins has taken as a Redskin. I've watched many multiple times as well. I also listen to Chris Cooley's weekly film breakdowns during the season (he's an uber smart and sharp guy as Coach Gibbs and Shanahan both have said)

Cousins - Top 12 QB easy. He's going to be the highest paid QB in NFL history but that will last for a few months and by this time next year there will be a few guys ahead of him. By year 3 he'll be in the middle of the pack in terms of pay. That's how the NFL works.

RE: "If he was so good why didn't the Redskins keep him??? He must suck if that sucky org let him go!!" - ummm wrong on so many levels. I've followed this saga since ground zero. Basically the Skins disrespected him from the start. Even in 2012 when he got his first start (since Griffin was hurt late in the Baltimore game the prior week) and SHREDDED a decent Cleveland team (they were actually on the rise back then). After the game the GM and Owner made for the locker room and walked right by him to console RGIII. It got worse from there including multiple insulting contract offers. His agent played it perfectly. IT WAS COUSINS THAT DID NOT WANT TO SIGN WITH THE SKINS OVER THE LAST COUPLE YEARS.

RE: "Teddy Bridgewater has more potential and cheaper!!!" - A few months ago the Skins knew they are losing Cousins so Cooley did an extensive film breakdown of every potential available QB who could work out for the skins. Results for Bridgewater were brutal. Injuries aside (he broke down the film PRE Injury) it was below average stuff and he graded out very poorly and cautioned we don't even think about signing. (for those who want to listen do a search on ESPN 980 Cooley breakdown Bridgewater). Sorry Bridgewater fans...he is not very good and carries significant injury risk now. For the record Cooley was impressed with Keenum for this past year.

RE: "Cousins sucks! Just look at his record!!" - Ok this is a terrible position to take. Our D (as has been stated by some) has been historically bad in many respects over the tenure of Cousins as a starter. Dumpster diving free agent signings (outside of a couple exceptions), lack of draft picks (due to RGIII trade) and still recovering from insane Salary Cap penalty ($36 mil over 2012 and 2013) during uncapped year. Without Cousins the Skins don't win but 3 or 4 games in each of last 3 years.

At one point our D was giving up 50% of 3rd and 7 or greater. one year they were the worst at that in NFL history (year before last)

RE: "He's a stat compiler! Garbage time stats!" - Not true at all. For most part Skins have played very close games over the last few years. This past year we had unbelievable injury luck and no weapons. Go back a couple years and take a sample of some of his best games (Bengals, Cowboys, Packers in 2016) We went 1-1-1 in those games. Cousins averaged 450 yards passing and was dominant. All games were close throughout and our D could not get off the field (We got 15 penalties in the Bengals game and our kicker missed several FGs over those 3 games). Against the Lions he brought the team back and took a 4pt lead with under a minute left on a great drive. Lions had no Time OUts but easily drove the field and won.

Can you win with Cousins at $30 mil per year? I don't know your cap situation as well as you all do. That's for you guys to figure out. But is Cousins a top 10 QB? To me and many skins fans he absolutely is.

Also there is not a harder worker and more impressive human being than this guy. Mike Shanahan has constantly been behind him even when guys like Colin Cowherd and even local media thought he was crazy (early in his first year as a starter for example): (look at the dates on some of these articles...way before Cousins took off)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc- ... 0137b297f5

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc- ... 6147048848

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc- ... ad1a22b0cc
I really appreciate this perspective. Having someone that has had a really good look at him and isn't a talking head - I don't have any local Redskin fan friends.

I've been really hesitant about Cousins but that makes me feel a little better should we sign him. In the action I’d seen of him I wasn’t impressed. Case Keenum was the better QB when our teams played this year. If the QBs switched teams they might have looked different, of course, but we can’t know. The Vikings defense was a better than the Redskins last year as well and all of those things factor in but even still, that particular performance by him didn’t impress me and probably colored my view of him. It’s nice to have someone who has watched him closely for years weigh in.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Cliff wrote:
I really appreciate this perspective. Having someone that has had a really good look at him and isn't a talking head - I don't have any local Redskin fan friends.

I've been really hesitant about Cousins but that makes me feel a little better should we sign him. In the action I’d seen of him I wasn’t impressed. Case Keenum was the better QB when our teams played this year. If the QBs switched teams they might have looked different, of course, but we can’t know. The Vikings defense was a better than the Redskins last year as well and all of those things factor in but even still, that particular performance by him didn’t impress me and probably colored my view of him. It’s nice to have someone who has watched him closely for years weigh in.
Agreed this was nice to hear.

As for the Keenum/Cousins part, I agree Keenum looked better that day but a couple things to factor in are the fact that Keenum faced a much worse defense than Cousins did and Keenum nearly won Washington the game with his poor throws in the 2nd half. Did Keenum play better? Yeah. But those are two pretty big factors IMO. The game should've been a blow out if it wasnt for the pick 6 and the 2nd pick that led to points. That is concerning. Keenum had the D to back him up along with good play in the first few quarters. I guess you could say, "well Cousins did too because his D came up with some big plays". However, I dont even know if they are considered "big plays" given the fact that they were such poor throws and easy INTs. No doubt Keenum played better but it's the stuff like that that worries me.

Either way, I am glad to hear about Cousins from another perspective.
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Rock45 wrote:Interesting article here.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/ ... ble-choice
IMO, if Bradford doesn't have his injury history he is a top 5 QB in the NFL. He is truly an elite passer both in terms of strength and accuracy. The only guy in the deep game that I've seen in his class is Rogers.

Sadly, it is all for naught. His knee is very likely going to keep him from realizing his potential. We must all remember that he didn't get hit in 2017, his knee just crapped out on him.

Could there be a single season of magnificence left in his career? Maybe... But can you gamble on it? Probably not.

I've said this all year, but I really feel bad for Sam. You can tell he puts the time in and has the right "stuff". His body just won't let him put it all together. What a shame.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote:

IMO, if Bradford doesn't have his injury history he is a top 5 QB in the NFL. He is truly an elite passer both in terms of strength and accuracy. The only guy in the deep game that I've seen in his class is Rogers.

Sadly, it is all for naught. His knee is very likely going to keep him from realizing his potential. We must all remember that he didn't get hit in 2017, his knee just crapped out on him.

Could there be a single season of magnificence left in his career? Maybe... But can you gamble on it? Probably not.

I've said this all year, but I really feel bad for Sam. You can tell he puts the time in and has the right "stuff". His body just won't let him put it all together. What a shame.
Couldnt agree more. Been saying this for a long time now. Bradford is a very good QB with horrible luck. I feel bad for him because he'd be among the leagues best if it wasnt for injuries. Zimmer see's it. Flip see's it. It drives me nuts when I hear analysts or fans say "Bradford sucks" or "Bradford is a bust" "It was stupid for us to trade for him" or "The vikings cant get it done with Bradford". It's just ignorant if you ask me. If it was a sure thing Bradford would stay healthy this coming season I'd be all over keeping him. It's just too much of a gamble at this point. I feel bad for the man
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

mansquatch wrote:

Couldnt agree more. Been saying this for a long time now. Bradford is a very good QB with horrible luck. I feel bad for him because he'd be among the leagues best if it wasnt for injuries. Zimmer see's it. Flip see's it. It drives me nuts when I hear analysts or fans say "Bradford sucks" or "Bradford is a bust" "It was stupid for us to trade for him" or "The vikings cant get it done with Bradford". It's just ignorant if you ask me. If it was a sure thing Bradford would stay healthy this coming season I'd be all over keeping him. It's just too much of a gamble at this point. I feel bad for the man
There you going, calling folks ignorant who dont think the way you do. I HATED the trade. Our Oline wasn't good when we made the trade. Not that it would have mattered but Rick said NOW was the time to make the run for the SB. There was no reason to think Sam's knees would be working, AND it cost us draft picks. AND it didnt work out. Maybe you should look in the mirror when you talk about others and their ignorance and admit you aernt always right. OFC Sam was a great talent. Every team he had been on said that. But was he worth betting on it? Nope, cause he had the worst time trying to stay in an upright posistion even when the doctors cleared him.
Ovechkin8
Practice Squad

Post by Ovechkin8 »

Cliff wrote:

Glad to chime in Cliff.

RE: Skins Vikings game last year. Well at that point of the season the Redskins had 17 of the 53 roster players on the injury report of which 11 were critical starters. Our entire offensive line was beat up or out. Josh Norman was coming off a significant rib injury and he got toasted all game.

Pryor was a huge bust and Jordan Reed didn't hardly play last year. Our running backs aren't the best but we were down to 6th and 7th stringers by years end. Our Oline had 3rd stringer brutal players who were signed off the streets a couple days before the games.

I don't believe that game to be a fair assessment to be honest. In fact most of last year for that matter. Cousins had exactly 1 real offensive weapon and that was our 3rd down back Chris Thompson. Ofcourse Thompson got a broken ankle in the New Orleans game when we were dominating them and up by 15pts. That game didn't end well.

It got so bad last year that we had to dress 5 or 6 injured guys who had no chance of playing just to get to 45.

The Skins won 7 games last year only because of Cousins. I don't believe people outside of the Skins fans and media truly understood the absurd amount of injuries we had last year and this effected everyone.

Out of all the people who dropped like flies Cousins didn't miss a snap despite getting hit twice as much as he did the prior year.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Ovechkin8 wrote:
Cliff wrote:

Glad to chime in Cliff.

RE: Skins Vikings game last year. Well at that point of the season the Redskins had 17 of the 53 roster players on the injury report of which 11 were critical starters. Our entire offensive line was beat up or out. Josh Norman was coming off a significant rib injury and he got toasted all game.

Pryor was a huge bust and Jordan Reed didn't hardly play last year. Our running backs aren't the best but we were down to 6th and 7th stringers by years end. Our Oline had 3rd stringer brutal players who were signed off the streets a couple days before the games.

I don't believe that game to be a fair assessment to be honest. In fact most of last year for that matter. Cousins had exactly 1 real offensive weapon and that was our 3rd down back Chris Thompson. Ofcourse Thompson got a broken ankle in the New Orleans game when we were dominating them and up by 15pts. That game didn't end well.

It got so bad last year that we had to dress 5 or 6 injured guys who had no chance of playing just to get to 45.

The Skins won 7 games last year only because of Cousins. I don't believe people outside of the Skins fans and media truly understood the absurd amount of injuries we had last year and this effected everyone.

Out of all the people who dropped like flies Cousins didn't miss a snap despite getting hit twice as much as he did the prior year.
Injuries are part of the game. They come at horrible times usually. Like losing your QB and starting QB at the start of the season. Thats why you need good depth, which our gm, Rick, gave us last year. Years ago, that depth was there.