Keep or cut: Latavius Murray

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

McKinnon headed to FA, Murray will be paid $5.15 this year million if we keep him.

Cut Latavius Murray
45%
Keep Latavius Murray
55%

Total votes: 40

ocampo82
Backup

Re: Keep or cut: Latavius Murray

Post by ocampo82 »

S197 wrote:What was Murray's avg yards after contact? I feel like he doesn't play up to his size and goes down pretty easy. He seems to be more of a patient, let your blocks develop, type of runner than a guy who can move piles. That's fine but I feel like the Vikings may be better off with the latter, a guy that can get tough third and short and endzone yards.
He is definitely one of the taller--if not tallest--current RB in the league, and as such his pad level probably higher and goes down easier. I am on the west cost, so I seen a lot of his games with the Raiders. I wasnt happy when the Vikings signed him, but I thought he played better than he has his whole career.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Cut--not a good power back, not good in space, not decisive...Good speed and size but doesn't make good use of either one.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
germannorseman
Backup

Post by germannorseman »

Well I'm for keeping right now. There is no guarantee that Cook will be able to perform this year like he showed last year. Knee injuries are easily career killers. Peterson was an exception to the rule. One more cut like Cook made and the knee goes out again. Then we are stuck with nothing. No Murray isn't great IMO. But he's better than a lot of backs.

I would also consider drafting another good back this year.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

mansquatch wrote:
Cliff wrote:He's the 11th highest paid RB in the league and not even the best one on our team. He'll need to restructure and be ok with a backup role to stay. I don't see it.
OTOH, it could be argued that he had a not so insignificant role in the success of the latter 3/4 of our season. Who will be that guy if Cook is hurt again in 2018? I do agree that at face value his contract is silly. (Really a result of the fact that FA happens before the draft.) Murray probably isn't worth $5MM a year, but then again, Cook is on a rookie deal which is relatively cheap. Not sure this one is as simple as it seems.
Agree....would be caught with the proverbial pants down if Cook falls to another injury.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Restructure. If that doesn't happen, cut. Pay Jet. I know he's looking for a starting role but I'd be shocked if he gets it. If he gets significantly more carries with another team (Patriots to replace Lewis?) more power to him. Most likely he'll share the load. Might as well do that here.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote:Restructure. If that doesn't happen, cut. Pay Jet. I know he's looking for a starting role but I'd be shocked if he gets it. If he gets significantly more carries with another team (Patriots to replace Lewis?) more power to him. Most likely he'll share the load. Might as well do that here.
I can get on board with that. Murray is only making $5 mil . Would Jet make less than that?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:Restructure. If that doesn't happen, cut. Pay Jet. I know he's looking for a starting role but I'd be shocked if he gets it. If he gets significantly more carries with another team (Patriots to replace Lewis?) more power to him. Most likely he'll share the load. Might as well do that here.
I don't think jet can carry a full workload anyhow. His body hasn't held up with a ton of carries. He's better off as a committee back.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
I can get on board with that. Murray is only making $5 mil . Would Jet make less than that?

Around that. For context, James White,
Mark Ingram, Shane Vereen and Theo Riddick make about $4 million/year. Sproles at $4.5 million. Salary cap went up so he'll probably average between $4.5-$5.5 million/year
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fasteddy
Waterboy

Post by fasteddy »

Hes medium speed and he cant cut ,has no moves ,hes horrible .Cut him
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fasteddy wrote:Hes medium speed and he cant cut ,has no moves ,hes horrible .Cut him
Seems logical :confused:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

fasteddy wrote:Hes medium speed and he cant cut ,has no moves ,hes horrible .Cut him
I'm not his biggest fan, but that is an absurd analysis of Murray's attributes.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote:
I'm not his biggest fan, but that is an absurd analysis of Murray's attributes.

Lol glad I’m not the only one that noticed
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Murray has been asked to restructure his contract...I guess we will see.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

halfgiz wrote:Murray has been asked to restructure his contract...I guess we will see.
I keep seeing this too but not from reliable sources. They reports have also said, we are "planning on asking him to restructure".
-Chazz Palminteri
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Sometime last season somebody Posted that Murray gets tackled easily. I noted that and noticed in games that he does. He can't break tackles and goes down by barely bumping him. He needs to do some serious leg work in the weight room