View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 709 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Next years QB 
Hall of Famer

Post Re: Next years QB
And how many wins does Cousins have? How many playoffs games has he won? SB's? Hows he been under must win games? Case did better this year as far as wins then Cousins ever did (i think). I am all for Cousins at a good price. Hes made 44 million in the past few years, if he wants a shot at the SB the Vikes are his best bet. But for closer to 25 mil a year. He wasnt even worth it to the Skins to keep, they went with Smith. Not a ringing endorsement of Cousins being an elite QB.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:17 pm
Hall of Famer

Mercy Percy wrote:
GUY A, 3 season AVG

4345 YDS, 28.33 TDS 11 INTS

GUY B, 3 season AVG

4392 YDS, 27.0 TDS 12 INTS

GUY C, 3 season AVG

4210 YDS, 36.33 TDS 6.667 INTS

Bradford, Keenum, and Bridgewater have zero 4k yard seasons combined.

Matt Stafford is guy A

Kirk Cousins is guy B

Aaron Rodgers is guy C

Kirk Cousins is consistently in the upper tier of Qb's with much less on offense than our Viking team right now.
If Kirk makes it to the North, expect 4800 + Yds 30+ tds and 12 + INT's

If you believe another QB that we can sign, or draft will do that for us right now you are wrong. Kirk Cousins is the perfect fit at this moment and provides us with a top 10 QB.

There have been reports written simulating Cousins making 30M and us still being able to retain key guys who some claim we might lose. Trust in Spielman, he knows how badly Zimmer wants this defense in tact and Zimmer knows what a solid QB can do for his career.

I definitely believe Cousins is inside the top 10. And it drives me nuts when people says he's outside of the top 10.

Do these rankings put Kirk Cousins outside the top 10? No.

Cousins in 2017:

7th in passing yards

10th in completion percentage

11th in average YPC

8th in TD passes

5th in passes of 20+ yards

9th in passes of 40+ yards

12th in QB rating

Cousins in 2016:

3rd in passing yards

8th in completion percentage

3rd in average YPC

13th in TD passes

2nd in passes of 20+ yards

4th in passes of 40+ yards

8th in QB rating

Cousins in 2015:

10th in passing yards

1st in completion percentage

8th in average YPC

T-12th in TD passes (he had 29 and leader had 36. Much closer than what it shows)

16th in passes of 20+ yards (was only 3 away from 8th. Also much closer than what it shows)

19th in passes of 40+ yards

5th in QB rating

....Those are top 10 stats right there. He's just a good QB on a bad team. No different than Matt Stafford. Everyone wants to question Cousins because of his record but I know for a fact that anyone that is anti-Kirk would take Stafford on this team any day. Look at his record. Not good. Put Cousins around this team and not only does it make the team better but it makes Cousins better as a QB IMO

Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:21 pm
Backup

Mercy Percy wrote:
GUY A, 3 season AVG

4345 YDS, 28.33 TDS 11 INTS

GUY B, 3 season AVG

4392 YDS, 27.0 TDS 12 INTS

GUY C, 3 season AVG

4210 YDS, 36.33 TDS 6.667 INTS

Bradford, Keenum, and Bridgewater have zero 4k yard seasons combined.

Matt Stafford is guy A

Kirk Cousins is guy B

Aaron Rodgers is guy C

Kirk Cousins is consistently in the upper tier of Qb's with much less on offense than our Viking team right now.
If Kirk makes it to the North, expect 4800 + Yds 30+ tds and 12 + INT's

If you believe another QB that we can sign, or draft will do that for us right now you are wrong. Kirk Cousins is the perfect fit at this moment and provides us with a top 10 QB.

There have been reports written simulating Cousins making 30M and us still being able to retain key guys who some claim we might lose. Trust in Spielman, he knows how badly Zimmer wants this defense in tact and Zimmer knows what a solid QB can do for his career.

............And then he blows out his knee week 3 and is never the same......we still pay him his gaurenteed 70 or 80 million over 4 or 5 years and the struggle to find the "franchise guy" goes on for another decade. He's not worth the kind of money its gonna take to land him. I am totally out on the vikings going after Cousins. He's just not that good. Anyone can cherry pick stats to make him appear like the answer to every teams QB problems. At the end of the day, the Wins and Losses is what matters....... and he just hasn't been a winner......period. I mean WAS is moving on from him for Alex Smith.......Alex Smith......a middle of the road QB at best. What does that tell us about Kirk? I have been a big Speilman supporter, and I am confident he will make the right call on Cousins, if he chooses to pay him, I'll be surprised. I would be dissapointed in him as well, it sure doesn't fit the model he seems to have been following in building a team. He would lose my support, thats for sure, thats how strongly i feel about us avoiding Cousins.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:50 pm
Transition Player

Guys, this team is built to win now, we need to get this QB situation right. Is Cousins worth $30 mil. per year ?, What is Keenum worth? I don't know either, but I don't want to go into next season with question marks at the NFL's most valuable position.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:30 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Alaskan wrote:
............And then he blows out his knee week 3 and is never the same......we still pay him his gaurenteed 70 or 80 million over 4 or 5 years and the struggle to find the "franchise guy" goes on for another decade. He's not worth the kind of money its gonna take to land him.

Good point. Last I heard (twitter), it was 3 years, 91M guaranteed. This franchise would take several steps backward if Cousins gets hurt. Talk about eggs in one basket.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:47 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Husker Vike wrote:
Guys, this team is built to win now, we need to get this QB situation right. Is Cousins worth $30 mil. per year ?, What is Keenum worth? I don't know either, but I don't want to go into next season with question marks at the NFL's most valuable position.

Could it be that it just seems like this team is built to win now because the Vikings finally have a good head coach that is in sync with the FO?

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:53 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

808vikingsfan wrote:
Husker Vike wrote:

Could it be that it just seems like this team is built to win now because the Vikings finally have a good head coach that is in sync with the FO?
Doesn't matter. They are built to win jow, and they need to realize that. However that means they need to keep their good players too, they can't just have one player take up their entire salary cap. They need to re-sign Barr, Diggs, Kendricks, and others.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:04 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
And how many wins does Cousins have? How many playoffs games has he won? SB's? Hows he been under must win games? Case did better this year as far as wins then Cousins ever did (i think). I am all for Cousins at a good price. Hes made 44 million in the past few years, if he wants a shot at the SB the Vikes are his best bet. But for closer to 25 mil a year. He wasnt even worth it to the Skins to keep, they went with Smith. Not a ringing endorsement of Cousins being an elite QB.

But you can’t really compare cousins to Case this year. One, Cousins crushes Case every year outside of this year. Two, Case was on a 10 times better team than Cousins was. Case had a running game, stud WRs, a good TE, decent OL and the #1 defense in the nfl. Cousins didn’t really have any of that at all and still went 7-9. Until Cousins is on this team or a good team, then we can compare him to Case. But those two weren’t even in the same conversation at this time last year. Literally miles apart. I don’t think anyone could sit here and say Cousins wouldn’t have gone 13-3 on this team last year if not more. I highly highly doubt it would’ve been worse than what Case did. Either way, there is no comparing the two. It’s comparing a possible one year wonder that no longer has the system here he succeeded in to a guy that’s been extremely consistent over the past 3 years. Something Case never, ever did.

I like Case and he’s my #2 option but I still take Cousins any day of the week over him

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:12 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

MrPurplenGold wrote:
NFL teams are paying quarterbacks way too much

Quote:
Only four quarterbacks have ever won a Super Bowl while accounting for at least 11% of their team’s cap room: Young, Peyton Manning (twice), Tom Brady and Eli Manning

Pretty good analysis. At 180M projected salary cap (sporttrac), 30M a year for Kirk Cousins would only be 6% of the salary cap. The question that isn't taken into consideration though, is if there is a continued decline in viewership on NFL games, will the precious upward trend in Salary cap space begin to decline.

What? 30/180 = 16.7%...

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:50 pm
Backup

808vikingsfan wrote:
Alaskan wrote:
............And then he blows out his knee week 3 and is never the same......we still pay him his gaurenteed 70 or 80 million over 4 or 5 years and the struggle to find the "franchise guy" goes on for another decade. He's not worth the kind of money its gonna take to land him.

Good point. Last I heard (twitter), it was 3 years, 91M guaranteed. This franchise would take several steps backward if Cousins gets hurt. Talk about eggs in one basket.

Wow! That is just crazy money for Cousins. He would need to carry a team for that kind of cash. Like Rodgers does the Packers.......and look what happened to them this year when he went down. 3 of the 4 teams in the NFC championship this year had middle of the road at best QB's.......but had solid TEAMS with depth across the board. Teams win championships in the NFL, not QB's. Sorry , I realize you where agreeing with my point, I just started ranting :lol:

All this crap about the Vikings being built to "win now" is all BS if you ask me. Fans create that crap storyline and the media feeds it. If the Vikings stick to the model of draft and develop, and fill in the some key gaps with some low risk FA acquisitions they can be a highly competitive FRANCHISE for a long long time with several great opportunities to bring home championships! The "win now" philosophy is shortsighted, stick to the plan/model and draft and develop the future!

Sorry 808, I got on a roll and I went with it :lol:

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:07 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

If anything this year should have taught Vikings fans what Packer Fans have held their hat on for almost 3 decades: Great QB play can cover up/overcome all kinds of other problems. The Packers have taken this to the extreme, the rest of their team is basically garbage and yet they are favorite to win the division EVERY YEAR!

I'm frankly kind of surprised that people here are worried about how much we pay a guy like Cousins. Do people forgot the conversations on this board during the Jackson and Ponder eras where it was lamented that guys like Cousins are rarely available in FA? It is almost as if some have forgotten what the Vikings have been like in virtually every season since 2006. The best three years of QB play. '09, '16', and '17 were all cases where some guy they found came in and saved the day at that position. (One might argue this is the Vikings way, 1998 anyone?) Every other year was either awful or mediocre. Heck, we had a season where it was an improvement to start Gus Ferrotte!

Get the best QB and pay him. The rest will work itself out. The reality is even if the defense takes a step back, it won't matter as long as the offense gives them consistent support. As we've seen for the past 4 seasons, the Defense cannot be relied upon to be great all 16 games.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:05 am
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote:
If anything this year should have taught Vikings fans what Packer Fans have held their hat on for almost 3 decades: Great QB play can cover up/overcome all kinds of other problems. The Packers have taken this to the extreme, the rest of their team is basically garbage and yet they are favorite to win the division EVERY YEAR!

I'm frankly kind of surprised that people here are worried about how much we pay a guy like Cousins. Do people forgot the conversations on this board during the Jackson and Ponder eras where it was lamented that guys like Cousins are rarely available in FA? It is almost as if some have forgotten what the Vikings have been like in virtually every season since 2006. The best three years of QB play. '09, '16', and '17 were all cases where some guy they found came in and saved the day at that position. (One might argue this is the Vikings way, 1998 anyone?) Every other year was either awful or mediocre. Heck, we had a season where it was an improvement to start Gus Ferrotte!

Get the best QB and pay him. The rest will work itself out. The reality is even if the defense takes a step back, it won't matter as long as the offense gives them consistent support. As we've seen for the past 4 seasons, the Defense cannot be relied upon to be great all 16 games.

Excellent post man! I've said this for years now on this board. Some fans have always crowned the packers and say how great their FO is and "look at the teams they built" blah blah. They arent that good. Without Rodgers they are actually really really bad. They havent had a RB worth a crap in quite some time now, their OL has been OK, Devante Adams is the only true WR on that team. Nelson is simply a product of Rodgers and it shows. Cobb has been average at best. TE has been weak for them and the worst part has been their defense. That front office cant draft defensive players to save their life.

Again, everyone crowns Rodgers as the best QB in the game, everyone gives the Packers the North before the season and many label them SB favorites. And guess what, they have been to and won one SB in ten years. Granted, it's better than us but at the same time, it's pathetic that they are favorites year after year and do nothing. The almighty Aaron Rodgers cant even bring his team to the promised land recently. That just goes to show that it's not all about the QB. Its about the TEAM. And the Packers TEAM sucks. Our TEAM on the other hand, is good on every level and both sides of the ball. So when you pair that combination with a legit QB, it's a recipe for a SB. And thats what we need to do and thats what I think we're going to do with Cousins.

I'm sick of playing musical chairs every year wondering who is going to start each week. Like you said, the rest will work itself out. Everyone is so worried about tearing the defense apart. Zim is a pro at drafting high end defensive talent and developing them. Does anyone really think that if we lose a player or two Zim is just going to settle with it and not draft talent or develop talent to fill those spots?

IMO, I dont see it as a "SB window". I see this team developing into a team like Pittsburgh thats continually in the running every year. Especially if we land Cousins. Mark my words, Kirk Cousins contract isnt going to break this team up. Spielman says they plan years ahead each offseason. They know what they're doing and if they have a hunch they might lose a player or two maybe down the road, dont be surprised if they hone in on that position during this draft.

Zim is ALWAYS going to have a good defense. No worries there. He's consistently had them over his career. So why are we so worried in that aspect? He'll keep developing guys and keep bringing in talent and this defense will keep its course. But while he does that, we need to secure this QB spot up. And Cousins is the guy to do it.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:57 am
Hall of Famer

The big question a lot of bloggers, and even posters here have, is why OVERpay a QB who hasnt show much in the win column. We would do better without busting the bank, and hoping Case can improve even more. Last year he was just a backup, this year a lot of you who are now moaning over Cousins, thought Case should be MVP! Cousins hasnt proved to me he should be making as much as Wentz, Brady, Rogers, Brees, etc. But some fans of the Vikes think the sky is the limit for a QB who doesnt have many big wins, none at all really. Now if he were to come down to the 22+ mark, maybe a little higher, then hes worth a 3 years shot. IMO Zim has screwed up more on this team this year then Case did.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:17 pm
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
The big question a lot of bloggers, and even posters here have, is why OVERpay a QB who hasnt show much in the win column. We would do better without busting the bank, and hoping Case can improve even more. Last year he was just a backup, this year a lot of you who are now moaning over Cousins, thought Case should be MVP! Cousins hasnt proved to me he should be making as much as Wentz, Brady, Rogers, Brees, etc. But some fans of the Vikes think the sky is the limit for a QB who doesnt have many big wins, none at all really. Now if he were to come down to the 22+ mark, maybe a little higher, then hes worth a 3 years shot. IMO Zim has screwed up more on this team this year then Case did.

But the problem is, just looking at the "win column" is a joke. His winning percentage is right with Matt Stafford, Derek Carr, Jared Goff, etc. Would nobody on here want any of those guys on this team on a big contract? Highly doubtful. They are all GOOD QBs that have been on BAD teams. Same goes for Cousins. Washington is a BAD team. Even Rodgers cant win it all recently because he's on a BAD team. Looking at Cousins' win/loss record shows me that you have very little football knowledge (not you specifically PK just in general). There is a lot more behind win/loss when it comes to QBs. They cant do it all. Only one I've seen do that by himself with little help from the rest of the team is probably Brady but I think that's more Belichik than anyone.

His win/loss shouldnt even be a factor at this point. Are we going to question Case's win/loss? Because outside of his one good year this year under a specific system, it sucks. Does anyone not think Kirk Cousins could beat the Saints, Rams, etc? Because he beat one on a bad team and lit up the other but his D gave up 34 points. Do we really think he couldnt do it on this team with this talent? Come on

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:34 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

I really do not see why this is so hard. QB is the most important position in the game. There is a top 10 guy on the market. We need a top 10 guy. DONE.

If that isn't enough, we are obviously in a SB window right now. If there was ever a time to pay for some talent, it is now.

On top of that, we are easily the most desirable landing spot for any QB. Keenum lit up this place with this roster. Imagine what a guy with some serious NFL moxy is going to do.

I really can't believe this is even a debate.

GO SIGN COUSINS!!!!

Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:53 pm
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote:
I really do not see why this is so hard. QB is the most important position in the game. There is a top 10 guy on the market. We need a top 10 guy. DONE.

If that isn't enough, we are obviously in a SB window right now. If there was ever a time to pay for some talent, it is now.

On top of that, we are easily the most desirable landing spot for any QB. Keenum lit up this place with this roster. Imagine what a guy with some serious NFL moxy is going to do.

GO SIGN COUSINS!!!!

Same here man. I just about throw up when I see people say they'd rather keep Teddy because he will be the "cheapest option". Or how some are so FIRMLY behind Teddy Bridgewater when he's essentially proved very little in his career and has not played in two years. But "HEY, he had a good preseason in 2016 so he has to be good right?" Why go cheap there? So we can continue to play musical chairs the next 5 years. No thanks. Pay the talent. Plus we have the draft to make this team that much better this season.

Nobody can sit there and tell me that if Washington had the same roster we did, they wouldnt be as successful or more successful than we were this year. So why is his win/loss record even being brought up?

Jay Gruden: "Hey Kirk, go and take us to the promised land this year with our crap WR corps, plodder RBs and decimated OL. Oh and I forgot, our 28th ranked defense. Good luck pal, go get 'em!"

At season's end....Jay Gruden "Yeah let's get rid of Kirk, he just couldnt get the job done with this loaded roster of ours. I'm sure Alex Smith will do it!!"

....I really cant stand Gruden

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:06 pm
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote:

GO SIGN COUSINS!!!!

What do you love about Cousins? Since you say his win/loss percentage is meaningless. Which is one of the very few times Ive heard that mentioned. Hand picking stats that work with your theories can only go so far. IF cousins is so effing good and WE SHOULD GO GET GET HIM, why can he improve the teams he is on? You going to blame that all on coaches, GM, other players, etc, but never Cousins? I dont think Cousins is trash, but he isnt the second coming of jesus like some here believe. How do you know Case cant get better with an even better team, and more time on that team? Thats right, you dont. I just dont want us to spend 10 mil a year over what the guy is worth because we paniced, just like we did when we got Sam. How did that work out for you?

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:30 pm
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
mansquatch wrote:

GO SIGN COUSINS!!!!

What do you love about Cousins? Since you say his win/loss percentage is meaningless. Which is one of the very few times Ive heard that mentioned. Hand picking stats that work with your theories can only go so far. IF cousins is so effing good and WE SHOULD GO GET GET HIM, why can he improve the teams he is on? You going to blame that all on coaches, GM, other players, etc, but never Cousins? I dont think Cousins is trash, but he isnt the second coming of jesus like some here believe. How do you know Case cant get better with an even better team, and more time on that team? Thats right, you dont. I just dont want us to spend 10 mil a year over what the guy is worth because we paniced, just like we did when we got Sam. How did that work out for you?

Again, you keep avoiding the Stafford, Carr argument. Answer the question, would you want either of them on this team for big money?? Yes or no. Simple as that. Because if you do, you basically just told me that winning percentage doesnt matter. Because they are pretty much the same as Cousins. They are good QBs on BAD teams. It happens guys. All the time. Not all good QBs are on good teams. Cousins is a perfect example. So is Stafford. So is Carr.

Not one fan on here thinks Cousins is the "second coming of Jesus". But when it comes to free agent QBs that are EVER available, he is. One of the best to hit the market since Manning.

And enough with the "we panicked with Bradford". You mention it all the time. WE HAD SHAUN FRICKEN HILL!! Was it Spielmans fault we didnt have a backup worth a damn? 100%. But at the same time, when that happened, we HAD to do something. And Bradford was our best chance to win. Unfortunately it didnt work out. But if I was Spielman and that happened, I'd do the same thing 10 times out of 10. It had to be done. AND.....AND lets not forget that when Teddy went down, the initial thought was that he could never play again. So in turn, not only did we get a good QB for 2016 but potentially a franchise QB down the road if he panned out. It wasnt just a "panic move JUST to save the 2016 season". It was for that season and beyond. He was thinking in the future because we all thought Teddy was toast and it was just before the season started so there was no draft coming up to get that franchise QB.

Either way, nobody is handpicking stats. Especially me. I just posted (I think on the last page), Kirk's rankings in pretty much every big statistical QB category from 2015-2017 and he ranked inside the top 10 for the majority of them. So yeah, I would say that why, myself and others want Kirk Cousins. He's consistent. He's proven he's a top 10 QB in this league (right around 9 or 10 I would say). Every other QB on this roster is......inconsistent whether it's play or injuries. WE WANT CONSISTENCY! We're sick of wondering every week who the starter is going to be. And we dont want to pinch pennies "in hopes" that one can work out. Kirk is the answer to those problems. He's healthy, consistent and an overall good QB.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:35 pm
Commissioner

How much are we buying Cousins to Minnesota 3 years, $90 million fully guaranteed that's being reported?

Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:53 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

dead_poet wrote:
How much are we buying Cousins to Minnesota 3 years, $90 million fully guaranteed that's being reported?
It's stupid. That is a ridiculous deal.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:03 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Commissioner

PurpleMustReign wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
It's stupid. That is a ridiculous deal.

For the Vikings. I agree.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:06 pm
All Pro Elite Player

dead_poet wrote:

I hadn't seen this reported yet? I saw that Cousins wants 3 years/$90mill guaranteed, but I hadn't seen anything indicating the Vikings were willing to offer that.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
Commissioner

akvikingsfan wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

I hadn't seen this reported yet? I saw that Cousins wants 3 years/$90mill guaranteed, but I hadn't seen anything indicating the Vikings were willing to offer that.

It's just the report I'm referring to. Trying to figure out how valid this is.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.dailycal ... is-insane/

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:31 pm
Commissioner

Official: no tags used on any of the Vikings QBs.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:33 pm
Waterboy

Texas Vike wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
JSB wrote:
Appreciate your opinion and time shall tell which opinion is correct. I just think bringing cousins is a mistake. He is 9-7, 8-7-1 and 9-7 last three seasons. While he is a good QB middle of the road to possibly better than, just average. But no way Minnesota should make him the highest paid QB in the League or even close to highest like the pundits are saying he will command. Same for Keenum in terms of pay. I agree not to Franchise Keenum as that is a hefty hit on the salary cap and I want to see another year from him before Minnesota pays him big money. But if they played their cards right they could have (and maybe still will) signed him to a sensible deal of around 10M for next year with team options for future years that pay him big money if he proves himself. I think they are in a good position to save money by keeping Keenum instead of locking up some other avg QB like Cousins for huge money that inhibits them from adding stud O-line and D-line and depth on both sides of the ball. I'd rather play on Keenum's willingness to play for vikes and spend all that available money at other positions.

First of all, assuming we cut Sharif Floyd, we have $57 million in cap space this year and even more next year. Obviously with some extensions coming up to key players, that space will dwindle, but it shows that hefty hits on the salary cap are not an issue for this team.

Second, you say signing Cousins would inhibit us from adding "stud O-line and D-line." My question is, "Who?" Who is available as a stud O-lineman. Andrew Norwell? Carolina is going to lock him up. Josh Sitton? He won't cost that much. D-line? Sheldon Richardson? Only way Seattle lets him go is if they can't afford him. David Irving? Same with Dallas. Defensive ends? Slim pickings there.

Also, even if there were a plethora of O-linemen available, what good does it do to sign stud O-linemen if you don't have a quarterback? This is a passing league, and you have to be able to create explosive plays. That requires a quarterback.

And I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no chance Case Keenum is going to sign ANYWHERE for $10 million. Not a chance. I'd prefer Cousins, but Case has earned a much bigger payday than that. If we don't get in the Cousins sweepstakes, I'd be fine with bringing Keenum back. But it's not going to be at $10 million. Blake Bortles made $18 million last year, and he was the 19th highest paid QB in the league and just got a nice extension. Is Case Keenum going to sign for anything less than Blake Bottles? Not gonna happen.

The NFL has long since exited the realm of the perfect world. No team can sign everybody they want. This league is about doing what you can, when you can. Case had a fine season, but it was his very best season -- Cousins' was his worst in the past four years, and statistically he was better than Keenum. Think about that. One quarterback's "down" year was better than the other's "career" year.

Kirk Cousins is the best quarterback available. The Vikings can afford him. They should go after him. And guess what? They will.

:appl:

Great post, Kapp, I agree on all points.

Well, my belief is if you have your skill positions fairly set, which the vikes have... then draft O-line and D-line with first and second -round picks. Securing a QB like case makes it easier in my opinion. Then, you can always potentially trade players for additional later picks and go O-line and D-line with D-backs and lbs or flyers on skill positions. Only vary when an unbelievable athlete is available like someone with Moss or Dez talent. Then, of course, additional depth from free agency. I think Case was great this year and I don't see why he won't get even better with more experience in this system. I just don't think Cousins is better. He gets so flustered under pressure. Keenum was under pressure a ton this year and showed smarts IMO. Cousins was under a lot and made so many terrible decisions. But we may see Cousins - and I we will see how he fits......

Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:15 pm
Commissioner

Per Pelissero Vikes-Cousins have mutual interest but no offers have been made.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status ... 28929?s=19

Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:17 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Alaskan wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:
Alaskan wrote:

Wow! That is just crazy money for Cousins. He would need to carry a team for that kind of cash. Like Rodgers does the Packers.......and look what happened to them this year when he went down. 3 of the 4 teams in the NFC championship this year had middle of the road at best QB's.......but had solid TEAMS with depth across the board. Teams win championships in the NFL, not QB's. Sorry , I realize you where agreeing with my point, I just started ranting :lol:

All this crap about the Vikings being built to "win now" is all BS if you ask me. Fans create that crap storyline and the media feeds it. If the Vikings stick to the model of draft and develop, and fill in the some key gaps with some low risk FA acquisitions they can be a highly competitive FRANCHISE for a long long time with several great opportunities to bring home championships! The "win now" philosophy is shortsighted, stick to the plan/model and draft and develop the future!

Sorry 808, I got on a roll and I went with it :lol:

Totally agree.

If the Vikings stay smart and patient, I think that window will always be there with Zimmer and Co.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:34 pm
Fenrir

Windows in the NFL are very real and are small. Just look at the last decade in the NFC. NINE different teams in 10 years have made the SB. Unless you're New England you don't have the luxury of building a perpetual contender. When you have your window, you go all in. You don't slow play because the nature of the salary cap is it's an equalizer.

Cousins is worth the risk. Look how long it's been since we've had any stability at QB. It's the last piece of the puzzle to get right.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:47 pm
All Pro Elite Player

S197 wrote:
Windows in the NFL are very real and are small. Just look at the last decade in the NFC. NINE different teams in 10 years have made the SB. Unless you're New England you don't have the luxury of building a perpetual contender. When you have your window, you go all in. You don't slow play because the nature of the salary cap is it's an equalizer.

Cousins is worth the risk. Look how long it's been since we've had any stability at QB. It's the last piece of the puzzle to get right.

I agree. Cousins could be the guy to put this team over the top during the window, and, if he performs even better when he gets here, could extend that window a bit longer.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:34 pm
Commissioner

TSonn wrote:
S197 wrote:

I agree. Cousins could be the guy to put this team over the top during the window, and, if he performs even better when he gets here, could extend that window a bit longer.

My worry, as some have expressed, is his moderately better numbers compared to Case at a likely grossly higher salary. His performance under pressure is also cause for concern. He's not 5x or whatever better than Case and worse in some categories. I'd rather keep the TEAM together that would be better as a unit than a minor upgrade at QB at the expense of other positions.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 709 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next