Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Next years QB

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mansquatch wrote:I really do not see why this is so hard. QB is the most important position in the game. There is a top 10 guy on the market. We need a top 10 guy. DONE.

If that isn't enough, we are obviously in a SB window right now. If there was ever a time to pay for some talent, it is now.

On top of that, we are easily the most desirable landing spot for any QB. Keenum lit up this place with this roster. Imagine what a guy with some serious NFL moxy is going to do.

I really can't believe this is even a debate.

GO SIGN COUSINS!!!!
Same here man. I just about throw up when I see people say they'd rather keep Teddy because he will be the "cheapest option". Or how some are so FIRMLY behind Teddy Bridgewater when he's essentially proved very little in his career and has not played in two years. But "HEY, he had a good preseason in 2016 so he has to be good right?" Why go cheap there? So we can continue to play musical chairs the next 5 years. No thanks. Pay the talent. Plus we have the draft to make this team that much better this season.

Nobody can sit there and tell me that if Washington had the same roster we did, they wouldnt be as successful or more successful than we were this year. So why is his win/loss record even being brought up?

Jay Gruden: "Hey Kirk, go and take us to the promised land this year with our crap WR corps, plodder RBs and decimated OL. Oh and I forgot, our 28th ranked defense. Good luck pal, go get 'em!"

At season's end....Jay Gruden "Yeah let's get rid of Kirk, he just couldnt get the job done with this loaded roster of ours. I'm sure Alex Smith will do it!!"

....I really cant stand Gruden
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

mansquatch wrote:I really do not see why this is so hard. QB is the most important position in the game. There is a top 10 guy on the market. We need a top 10 guy. DONE.

If that isn't enough, we are obviously in a SB window right now. If there was ever a time to pay for some talent, it is now.

On top of that, we are easily the most desirable landing spot for any QB. Keenum lit up this place with this roster. Imagine what a guy with some serious NFL moxy is going to do.

GO SIGN COUSINS!!!!
What do you love about Cousins? Since you say his win/loss percentage is meaningless. Which is one of the very few times Ive heard that mentioned. Hand picking stats that work with your theories can only go so far. IF cousins is so effing good and WE SHOULD GO GET GET HIM, why can he improve the teams he is on? You going to blame that all on coaches, GM, other players, etc, but never Cousins? I dont think Cousins is trash, but he isnt the second coming of jesus like some here believe. How do you know Case cant get better with an even better team, and more time on that team? Thats right, you dont. I just dont want us to spend 10 mil a year over what the guy is worth because we paniced, just like we did when we got Sam. How did that work out for you?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:

GO SIGN COUSINS!!!!
What do you love about Cousins? Since you say his win/loss percentage is meaningless. Which is one of the very few times Ive heard that mentioned. Hand picking stats that work with your theories can only go so far. IF cousins is so effing good and WE SHOULD GO GET GET HIM, why can he improve the teams he is on? You going to blame that all on coaches, GM, other players, etc, but never Cousins? I dont think Cousins is trash, but he isnt the second coming of jesus like some here believe. How do you know Case cant get better with an even better team, and more time on that team? Thats right, you dont. I just dont want us to spend 10 mil a year over what the guy is worth because we paniced, just like we did when we got Sam. How did that work out for you?
Again, you keep avoiding the Stafford, Carr argument. Answer the question, would you want either of them on this team for big money?? Yes or no. Simple as that. Because if you do, you basically just told me that winning percentage doesnt matter. Because they are pretty much the same as Cousins. They are good QBs on BAD teams. It happens guys. All the time. Not all good QBs are on good teams. Cousins is a perfect example. So is Stafford. So is Carr.

Not one fan on here thinks Cousins is the "second coming of Jesus". But when it comes to free agent QBs that are EVER available, he is. One of the best to hit the market since Manning.

And enough with the "we panicked with Bradford". You mention it all the time. WE HAD SHAUN FRICKEN HILL!! Was it Spielmans fault we didnt have a backup worth a damn? 100%. But at the same time, when that happened, we HAD to do something. And Bradford was our best chance to win. Unfortunately it didnt work out. But if I was Spielman and that happened, I'd do the same thing 10 times out of 10. It had to be done. AND.....AND lets not forget that when Teddy went down, the initial thought was that he could never play again. So in turn, not only did we get a good QB for 2016 but potentially a franchise QB down the road if he panned out. It wasnt just a "panic move JUST to save the 2016 season". It was for that season and beyond. He was thinking in the future because we all thought Teddy was toast and it was just before the season started so there was no draft coming up to get that franchise QB.

Either way, nobody is handpicking stats. Especially me. I just posted (I think on the last page), Kirk's rankings in pretty much every big statistical QB category from 2015-2017 and he ranked inside the top 10 for the majority of them. So yeah, I would say that why, myself and others want Kirk Cousins. He's consistent. He's proven he's a top 10 QB in this league (right around 9 or 10 I would say). Every other QB on this roster is......inconsistent whether it's play or injuries. WE WANT CONSISTENCY! We're sick of wondering every week who the starter is going to be. And we dont want to pinch pennies "in hopes" that one can work out. Kirk is the answer to those problems. He's healthy, consistent and an overall good QB.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

How much are we buying Cousins to Minnesota 3 years, $90 million fully guaranteed that's being reported?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote:How much are we buying Cousins to Minnesota 3 years, $90 million fully guaranteed that's being reported?
It's stupid. That is a ridiculous deal.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
dead_poet wrote:How much are we buying Cousins to Minnesota 3 years, $90 million fully guaranteed that's being reported?
It's stupid. That is a ridiculous deal.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
For the Vikings. I agree.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

I hadn't seen this reported yet? I saw that Cousins wants 3 years/$90mill guaranteed, but I hadn't seen anything indicating the Vikings were willing to offer that.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

akvikingsfan wrote:
I hadn't seen this reported yet? I saw that Cousins wants 3 years/$90mill guaranteed, but I hadn't seen anything indicating the Vikings were willing to offer that.
It's just the report I'm referring to. Trying to figure out how valid this is.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.dailycal ... is-insane/
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Official: no tags used on any of the Vikings QBs.
JSB
Waterboy

Post by JSB »

Texas Vike wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
JSB wrote:Appreciate your opinion and time shall tell which opinion is correct. I just think bringing cousins is a mistake. He is 9-7, 8-7-1 and 9-7 last three seasons. While he is a good QB middle of the road to possibly better than, just average. But no way Minnesota should make him the highest paid QB in the League or even close to highest like the pundits are saying he will command. Same for Keenum in terms of pay. I agree not to Franchise Keenum as that is a hefty hit on the salary cap and I want to see another year from him before Minnesota pays him big money. But if they played their cards right they could have (and maybe still will) signed him to a sensible deal of around 10M for next year with team options for future years that pay him big money if he proves himself. I think they are in a good position to save money by keeping Keenum instead of locking up some other avg QB like Cousins for huge money that inhibits them from adding stud O-line and D-line and depth on both sides of the ball. I'd rather play on Keenum's willingness to play for vikes and spend all that available money at other positions.
First of all, assuming we cut Sharif Floyd, we have $57 million in cap space this year and even more next year. Obviously with some extensions coming up to key players, that space will dwindle, but it shows that hefty hits on the salary cap are not an issue for this team.

Second, you say signing Cousins would inhibit us from adding "stud O-line and D-line." My question is, "Who?" Who is available as a stud O-lineman. Andrew Norwell? Carolina is going to lock him up. Josh Sitton? He won't cost that much. D-line? Sheldon Richardson? Only way Seattle lets him go is if they can't afford him. David Irving? Same with Dallas. Defensive ends? Slim pickings there.

Also, even if there were a plethora of O-linemen available, what good does it do to sign stud O-linemen if you don't have a quarterback? This is a passing league, and you have to be able to create explosive plays. That requires a quarterback.

And I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no chance Case Keenum is going to sign ANYWHERE for $10 million. Not a chance. I'd prefer Cousins, but Case has earned a much bigger payday than that. If we don't get in the Cousins sweepstakes, I'd be fine with bringing Keenum back. But it's not going to be at $10 million. Blake Bortles made $18 million last year, and he was the 19th highest paid QB in the league and just got a nice extension. Is Case Keenum going to sign for anything less than Blake Bottles? Not gonna happen.

The NFL has long since exited the realm of the perfect world. No team can sign everybody they want. This league is about doing what you can, when you can. Case had a fine season, but it was his very best season -- Cousins' was his worst in the past four years, and statistically he was better than Keenum. Think about that. One quarterback's "down" year was better than the other's "career" year.

Kirk Cousins is the best quarterback available. The Vikings can afford him. They should go after him. And guess what? They will.
:appl:

Great post, Kapp, I agree on all points.

Well, my belief is if you have your skill positions fairly set, which the vikes have... then draft O-line and D-line with first and second -round picks. Securing a QB like case makes it easier in my opinion. Then, you can always potentially trade players for additional later picks and go O-line and D-line with D-backs and lbs or flyers on skill positions. Only vary when an unbelievable athlete is available like someone with Moss or Dez talent. Then, of course, additional depth from free agency. I think Case was great this year and I don't see why he won't get even better with more experience in this system. I just don't think Cousins is better. He gets so flustered under pressure. Keenum was under pressure a ton this year and showed smarts IMO. Cousins was under a lot and made so many terrible decisions. But we may see Cousins - and I we will see how he fits......
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Per Pelissero Vikes-Cousins have mutual interest but no offers have been made.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status ... 28929?s=19
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Alaskan wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:
Alaskan wrote:............And then he blows out his knee week 3 and is never the same......we still pay him his gaurenteed 70 or 80 million over 4 or 5 years and the struggle to find the "franchise guy" goes on for another decade. He's not worth the kind of money its gonna take to land him.
Good point. Last I heard (twitter), it was 3 years, 91M guaranteed. This franchise would take several steps backward if Cousins gets hurt. Talk about eggs in one basket.
Wow! That is just crazy money for Cousins. He would need to carry a team for that kind of cash. Like Rodgers does the Packers.......and look what happened to them this year when he went down. 3 of the 4 teams in the NFC championship this year had middle of the road at best QB's.......but had solid TEAMS with depth across the board. Teams win championships in the NFL, not QB's. Sorry , I realize you where agreeing with my point, I just started ranting :lol:

All this crap about the Vikings being built to "win now" is all BS if you ask me. Fans create that crap storyline and the media feeds it. If the Vikings stick to the model of draft and develop, and fill in the some key gaps with some low risk FA acquisitions they can be a highly competitive FRANCHISE for a long long time with several great opportunities to bring home championships! The "win now" philosophy is shortsighted, stick to the plan/model and draft and develop the future!

Sorry 808, I got on a roll and I went with it :lol:
Totally agree.

If the Vikings stay smart and patient, I think that window will always be there with Zimmer and Co.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Windows in the NFL are very real and are small. Just look at the last decade in the NFC. NINE different teams in 10 years have made the SB. Unless you're New England you don't have the luxury of building a perpetual contender. When you have your window, you go all in. You don't slow play because the nature of the salary cap is it's an equalizer.

Cousins is worth the risk. Look how long it's been since we've had any stability at QB. It's the last piece of the puzzle to get right.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

S197 wrote:Windows in the NFL are very real and are small. Just look at the last decade in the NFC. NINE different teams in 10 years have made the SB. Unless you're New England you don't have the luxury of building a perpetual contender. When you have your window, you go all in. You don't slow play because the nature of the salary cap is it's an equalizer.

Cousins is worth the risk. Look how long it's been since we've had any stability at QB. It's the last piece of the puzzle to get right.
I agree. Cousins could be the guy to put this team over the top during the window, and, if he performs even better when he gets here, could extend that window a bit longer.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

TSonn wrote:
S197 wrote:Windows in the NFL are very real and are small. Just look at the last decade in the NFC. NINE different teams in 10 years have made the SB. Unless you're New England you don't have the luxury of building a perpetual contender. When you have your window, you go all in. You don't slow play because the nature of the salary cap is it's an equalizer.

I agree. Cousins could be the guy to put this team over the top during the window, and, if he performs even better when he gets here, could extend that window a bit longer.
My worry, as some have expressed, is his moderately better numbers compared to Case at a likely grossly higher salary. His performance under pressure is also cause for concern. He's not 5x or whatever better than Case and worse in some categories. I'd rather keep the TEAM together that would be better as a unit than a minor upgrade at QB at the expense of other positions.