Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Next years QB

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

720pete wrote:Star Tribune reports that Teddy Bridgewater's contract will not toll. He will become a free agent, according to league sources.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-tedd ... 475297223/
Hmm was kind of hoping we could keep Teddy if cheap enough and land Cousins. Teddy will go to another team to start and more money. Makes me a bit sad.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

720pete wrote:Star Tribune reports that Teddy Bridgewater's contract will not toll. He will become a free agent, according to league sources.

The link won't open on my phone (maybe because I am not subscribed to the ST). Did the Vikings choose not to toll it or was there a ruling?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

PurpleMustReign wrote:

The link won't open on my phone (maybe because I am not subscribed to the ST). Did the Vikings choose not to toll it or was there a ruling?

It was a league decision. The league decided not to toll it, probably because they thought the NFLPA would appeal and win its case that Teddy was indeed capable of playing prior to week 6 despite not being active.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

JSB wrote:Appreciate your opinion and time shall tell which opinion is correct. I just think bringing cousins is a mistake. He is 9-7, 8-7-1 and 9-7 last three seasons. While he is a good QB middle of the road to possibly better than, just average. But no way Minnesota should make him the highest paid QB in the League or even close to highest like the pundits are saying he will command. Same for Keenum in terms of pay. I agree not to Franchise Keenum as that is a hefty hit on the salary cap and I want to see another year from him before Minnesota pays him big money. But if they played their cards right they could have (and maybe still will) signed him to a sensible deal of around 10M for next year with team options for future years that pay him big money if he proves himself. I think they are in a good position to save money by keeping Keenum instead of locking up some other avg QB like Cousins for huge money that inhibits them from adding stud O-line and D-line and depth on both sides of the ball. I'd rather play on Keenum's willingness to play for vikes and spend all that available money at other positions.
First of all, assuming we cut Sharif Floyd, we have $57 million in cap space this year and even more next year. Obviously with some extensions coming up to key players, that space will dwindle, but it shows that hefty hits on the salary cap are not an issue for this team.

Second, you say signing Cousins would inhibit us from adding "stud O-line and D-line." My question is, "Who?" Who is available as a stud O-lineman. Andrew Norwell? Carolina is going to lock him up. Josh Sitton? He won't cost that much. D-line? Sheldon Richardson? Only way Seattle lets him go is if they can't afford him. David Irving? Same with Dallas. Defensive ends? Slim pickings there.

Also, even if there were a plethora of O-linemen available, what good does it do to sign stud O-linemen if you don't have a quarterback? This is a passing league, and you have to be able to create explosive plays. That requires a quarterback.

And I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no chance Case Keenum is going to sign ANYWHERE for $10 million. Not a chance. I'd prefer Cousins, but Case has earned a much bigger payday than that. If we don't get in the Cousins sweepstakes, I'd be fine with bringing Keenum back. But it's not going to be at $10 million. Blake Bortles made $18 million last year, and he was the 19th highest paid QB in the league and just got a nice extension. Is Case Keenum going to sign for anything less than Blake Bottles? Not gonna happen.

The NFL has long since exited the realm of the perfect world. No team can sign everybody they want. This league is about doing what you can, when you can. Case had a fine season, but it was his very best season -- Cousins' was his worst in the past four years, and statistically he was better than Keenum. Think about that. One quarterback's "down" year was better than the other's "career" year.

Kirk Cousins is the best quarterback available. The Vikings can afford him. They should go after him. And guess what? They will.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
ocampo82
Backup

Post by ocampo82 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
JSB wrote:Appreciate your opinion and time shall tell which opinion is correct. I just think bringing cousins is a mistake. He is 9-7, 8-7-1 and 9-7 last three seasons. While he is a good QB middle of the road to possibly better than, just average. But no way Minnesota should make him the highest paid QB in the League or even close to highest like the pundits are saying he will command. Same for Keenum in terms of pay. I agree not to Franchise Keenum as that is a hefty hit on the salary cap and I want to see another year from him before Minnesota pays him big money. But if they played their cards right they could have (and maybe still will) signed him to a sensible deal of around 10M for next year with team options for future years that pay him big money if he proves himself. I think they are in a good position to save money by keeping Keenum instead of locking up some other avg QB like Cousins for huge money that inhibits them from adding stud O-line and D-line and depth on both sides of the ball. I'd rather play on Keenum's willingness to play for vikes and spend all that available money at other positions.
First of all, assuming we cut Sharif Floyd, we have $57 million in cap space this year and even more next year. Obviously with some extensions coming up to key players, that space will dwindle, but it shows that hefty hits on the salary cap are not an issue for this team.

Second, you say signing Cousins would inhibit us from adding "stud O-line and D-line." My question is, "Who?" Who is available as a stud O-lineman. Andrew Norwell? Carolina is going to lock him up. Josh Sitton? He won't cost that much. D-line? Sheldon Richardson? Only way Seattle lets him go is if they can't afford him. David Irving? Same with Dallas. Defensive ends? Slim pickings there.

Also, even if there were a plethora of O-linemen available, what good does it do to sign stud O-linemen if you don't have a quarterback? This is a passing league, and you have to be able to create explosive plays. That requires a quarterback.

And I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no chance Case Keenum is going to sign ANYWHERE for $10 million. Not a chance. I'd prefer Cousins, but Case has earned a much bigger payday than that. If we don't get in the Cousins sweepstakes, I'd be fine with bringing Keenum back. But it's not going to be at $10 million. Blake Bortles made $18 million last year, and he was the 19th highest paid QB in the league and just got a nice extension. Is Case Keenum going to sign for anything less than Blake Bottles? Not gonna happen.

The NFL has long since exited the realm of the perfect world. No team can sign everybody they want. This league is about doing what you can, when you can. Case had a fine season, but it was his very best season -- Cousins' was his worst in the past four years, and statistically he was better than Keenum. Think about that. One quarterback's "down" year was better than the other's "career" year.

Kirk Cousins is the best quarterback available. The Vikings can afford him. They should go after him. And guess what? They will.
The rumors are Norwell will be a FA--they have a lot of money in Trai Turner and Matt Khali :rofl: already.

If we got Sitton, and picked up Price/Daniels/Ragnow/Hernandez in the draft--that is damn good IMO, and less than Norwell.

Keenum was a real pro last season, so I hope he gets a payday....but I don't know if he has the same success in NY, Cle, AZ, Den--all those spots seem to have unproven offensive schemes.

I will be disappointed if we don't get Cousins, and being greedy...I hope we sign him for less than what is expected to get him
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

If we did get Case over Cousins, because Case should be right around the 20 mil mark, and Cousins, the sky is the limit as of now, it would be good for the team if we could pick up Price and Sitton. Price starts day one as a rookie at RG. Remmers goes to his normal postilion, one which he plays a lot better, RT. Im still a little afraid of Reiff, and a lot afraid of Sirles and Hill. But dam, we would have a nice line with good depth. And having Case, and his experience with the Vikes wouldnt be a bad thing. I really think, barring major injury, the Vikes could pull off the big SB win within 2 years. After that though, im afraid another rebuild would be in the makes. Esp. with the D laying eggs at bad time.

The D scares me sometimes with their play. Sometimes I think the refs were a little less biased against us at times, and we had good luck, on both sides of the ball, but really on the D. Really key turnovers and bad play by the opposing offenses help us. I really hope I am wrong about the D, because if they start stinking, we dont have a shot, even with Cousins.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:

:appl:

Great post, Kapp, I agree on all points.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:

Good post Kapp. Only thing I would disagree with is that Norwell is going back to Carolina. Every report I've seen is that they are going to let him walk. Giants are rumored to go after him hard. Personally, I dont want him. At all as crazy as that sounds. We already have a lot of money tied up in both our OTs. We need to get younger across the OL. I'd much rather draft our starter.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

It really does drive me nuts when I see guys say "Well look what Case did this year and Cousins hovered around a .500 record the last 3 years". Well duh? Does anyone honestly think that Cousins couldnt go 13-3 last year if he was on the Vikings? I believe he definitely could without a doubt. Like I said before, would anyone not want Matt Stafford on this team? Because he's pretty much identical to Cousins but doesnt have the team around him.

Look at Derek Carr. Going into this year they were SB FAVORITES! And they laid a giant egg. Why? Not because of Derek Carr I can tell you that. Did Derek Carr play like he did in 2016? No. But he didnt play bad by any means. They didnt have a defense worth a damn.

Look at Aaron Rodgers out of all people! Just about everyone that watches football says he's the best QB in the league and guess what? In 10 years he's been in and won ONE SB. Even the almighty Rodgers cant carry his team to a SB. Why? Because they have an awful defense.

Is anyone going to sit there and tell me that Wentz/Foles would have won the SB this year if it wasnt for their defense? No. If the Eagles had a defense near Oaklands, GBs or Washingtons, they'd be lucky to even make the playoffs. Unless you're Brady/Belichick you need some sort of defense to win it all. Look at the Broncos, Seattle, Baltimore, recent teams that won it all outside of the Patriots. They all had good DEFENSES. Not just a good QB but a good defense.

QB's outside of Brady arent miracle workers. They need help from the TEAM.

That's why I feel like Cousins is the perfect fit because he's one of the better throwers in the game and has every piece around him you could ask for. Good defense, good WRs, good RB, good TE and an up and coming OL. That is the recipe for a SB.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

808vikingsfan wrote:Eric Thompson@eric_j_thompson
2h2 hours ago

Fun with stats:

Kirk Cousins has thrown for over 4,000 yards and 25 TDs with an INT percentage under 2.5% each of the past three seasons.

The #Vikings have had three such seasons in their 57 years of being an NFL franchise.

(2004 Culpepper, 2009 Favre, and...1995 Warren Moon.)
And we didn't get any further than we did Case Keenum this past season.

Yards and TD/INT percentages are nice, but they don't determine win/loss records or playoff success. Daunte lost in the Divisional round to the Eagles, Favre threw the NFC Championship away with a stupid pick and Moon led us to an 8-8 record and no playoffs (4th in the Division).

Case Keenum won games this year. He went 11-3 as a starter, for Pete's sake. That's what I look at.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

soflavike wrote:
2h2 hours ago

Fun with stats:

Kirk Cousins has thrown for over 4,000 yards and 25 TDs with an INT percentage under 2.5% each of the past three seasons.

The #Vikings have had three such seasons in their 57 years of being an NFL franchise.

Yards and TD/INT percentages are nice, but they don't determine win/loss records or playoff success. Daunte lost in the Divisional round to the Eagles, Favre threw the NFC Championship away with a stupid pick and Moon led us to an 8-8 record and no playoffs (4th in the Division).

Case Keenum won games this year. He went 11-3 as a starter, for Pete's sake. That's what I look at.
Me too. I am just not as in to Cousins as many are. I don't care what stats they have, they need to win games. I get Cousins didn't have much around him, but Case lost his starting RB and was the back up at the beginning of the season. The team gelled for him and it showed.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote:
soflavike wrote:
2h2 hours ago

Fun with stats:

Me too. I am just not as in to Cousins as many are. I don't care what stats they have, they need to win games. I get Cousins didn't have much around him, but Case lost his starting RB and was the back up at the beginning of the season. The team gelled for him and it showed.

m

And case was a 1 year starter for the most part. Just because he had one year where he gelled with everyone doesn’t mean he’s the guy. Why not want a 3 year legit starter with zero questionable background like Case that’s been one of the better passers in the league? What makes anyone believe he won’t gel with these guys? Case could easily be a product of shurmurs system. Cousins played in two different system and still put up good numbers with limited talent around him. It seems like guys are worried Kirk can’t do what case did? Why not? There’s no reason to believe that. No less it looks like we landed an up and coming OC.

Everyone is so honed in on what case did this year. It was ONE year and he’s had a horrible history prior to that. Kirk is a CONSISTENT QB that’s played in multiple systems. Case had one good year in a specific system and had a terrible career prior to that. I take consistency any day over a potential one year wonder. Case is my #2 option no doubt but I trust Cousins way more than case. You know he can play in multiple systems. You know he can play well with less talent around him (which we don’t have to worry about anyways) and you know he has been consistent over the years. With no worries of “oh can he work in this system” or “oh can he work with little talent”. We don’t have to worry about either of those things with him. We do with case. That’s a HUGE difference IMO
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Didn't Case win with the Rams before Goff took over? I thought he was like 4-2 or something. Maybe I am wrong.
The biggest thing to me is Case had the 'it' factor. He won games. Yeah he had talent, but he won games. I'm not against cousins necessarily, I just think the way the team rallied around case is something I haven't seen the Vikings do around QB maybe ever. Again, I'm not against Cousins, but I really like Keenum a lot.

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote:Didn't Case win with the Rams before Goff took over? I thought he was like 4-2 or something. Maybe I am wrong.
The biggest thing to me is Case had the 'it' factor. He won games. Yeah he had talent, but he won games. I'm not against cousins necessarily, I just think the way the team rallied around case is something I haven't seen the Vikings do around QB maybe ever. Again, I'm not against Cousins, but I really like Keenum a lot.

I get it and agree. It’s just that there’s no reason to believe Cousins wouldn’t be the same way with these guys. No less he’s a more prolific passer IMO
-Chazz Palminteri