Next years QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

TSonn
Career Elite Player

Re: Next years QB

Post by TSonn »

A.D_blazing wrote: If this is true.....thank god the vikings aren't resigning CK. Keenum will always be a backup, and nothing more IMHO.
I think that's a bit harsh towards Keenum. I think his 2017 season was a combination of his talent and having the right talent/system around him but it definitely wasn't luck. You don't get MVP votes on a back-up QB getting lucky. I'd place him as a lower-third starting QB in the league but a 10-15 QB in the right system. Our system is changing so I think we probably want to go a different route. If Shurmur had stayed? We might have franchised Keenum.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

A.D_blazing wrote:
Vikings not expected to franchise tag Case Keenum
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ase-keenum

If this is true.....thank god the vikings aren't resigning CK. Keenum will always be a backup, and nothing more IMHO.
Yeahhhh I wouldnt go that far man. If you're a backup you dont just take a team to an NFC championship. I dont care how good the team was. That just doesnt happen. And any backup QB that does that, definitely earns starter money IMO
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
A.D_blazing
Transition Player

Post by A.D_blazing »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
A.D_blazing wrote:

If this is true.....thank god the vikings aren't resigning CK. Keenum will always be a backup, and nothing more IMHO.
Yeahhhh I wouldnt go that far man. If you're a backup you dont just take a team to an NFC championship. I dont care how good the team was. That just doesnt happen. And any backup QB that does that, definitely earns starter money IMO
I don't understand how someone argues a point and says "I don't care how good the team was". Then by that logic, Trent Dilfer won a championship and he was let go the year after. Another example, Blake Bortles took his team to AFC championship this year and played WAY better than Keenum in the playoffs. Why did Blake Bortles only get a contract of $54 millions with $26.5 M only guaranteed.

And many on this board were asking for Keenum to be tagged..I don't think an NFL teams in their right mind will make such mistake.
ocampo82
Backup

Post by ocampo82 »

A.D_blazing wrote:

It will be interesting to see what kind of deal he lands.

I understand why some people believe Keenum and Foles are back-ups, and some people--Jeff Fisher--don't believe they are good enough to be on an NFL roster.
With the right cast they can win at a high level but those situations are not the norm, so to pay those talents 25m/yr...that rely on all other areas to be on point...its a tough decision.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

A.D_blazing wrote:
I don't understand how someone argues a point and says "I don't care how good the team was". Then by that logic, Trent Dilfer won a championship and he was let go the year after. Another example, Blake Bortles took his team to AFC championship this year and played WAY better than Keenum in the playoffs. Why did Blake Bortles only get a contract of $54 millions with $26.5 M only guaranteed.

And many on this board were asking for Keenum to be tagged..I don't think an NFL teams in their right mind will make such mistake.
Blake Bortles also threw for 87 yards in his first playoff game. I would say it was "way better". Case Keenum also made a throw vs. the Saints that Bortles probably wouldnt have ever made and won us the game. Bortles also was very up and down vs. Pitt.

And Trent Dilfer? Seriously? Dilfer threw 12 tds and 11 ints that year. I'd say Keenum played a little better than that huh? That team relied HEAVILY on it's defense and running game.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Could cousins potentially earn less than is being predicted? What about Case?

The browns could certainly dump a bunch of money on Cousins, but they pick early and often this year and may not want to spend so much on a QB if they can draft one early and then opt to invest heavily in building a team around a younger player with someone like Case as a bridge.

The Broncos could be interested, but how much cap can they clear? Plus that might seem like going to a franchise whose window is about to close, particularly if they dump that much money on a QB with an aging and expensive roster. They also pick 5th and could snag a QB as well

The Jets could be players, but they pick 6th and aren't the most appealing destination either.

Its not likely, but It would sure be interesting if those teams signal that they are looking elsewhere early and Cousins becomes available for less than expected.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
ocampo82
Backup

Post by ocampo82 »

fiestavike wrote:Could cousins potentially earn less than is being predicted? What about Case?

The browns could certainly dump a bunch of money on Cousins, but they pick early and often this year and may not want to spend so much on a QB if they can draft one early and then opt to invest heavily in building a team around a younger player with someone like Case as a bridge.

The Broncos could be interested, but how much cap can they clear? Plus that might seem like going to a franchise whose window is about to close, particularly if they dump that much money on a QB with an aging and expensive roster. They also pick 5th and could snag a QB as well

The Jets could be players, but they pick 6th and aren't the most appealing destination either.

Its not likely, but It would sure be interesting if those teams signal that they are looking elsewhere early and Cousins becomes available for less than expected.
He will shock the NFL world and come to MN on a Tom Brady contract, and we can add Norwell...I can dream. :v):
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

A.D_blazing wrote:

Uh. How can this logic apply to Case but not Foles? Foles didn't just take his team to the NFC Championship, he won MVP in the fr**gin Superbowl. Any backup that does that...
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

808vikingsfan wrote:

Uh. How can this logic apply to Case but not Foles? Foles didn't just take his team to the NFC Championship, he won MVP in the fr**gin Superbowl. Any backup that does that...
Nick Foles also didn’t play an entire season. Not even close actually. Case played from week 2 on. Does anyone really believe the eagles are 13-3 with Foles all year and winning the SB? I don’t see it. Wentz was the heart and soul of that team early in the year
-Chazz Palminteri
A.D_blazing
Transition Player

Post by A.D_blazing »

808vikingsfan wrote:

Nick Foles also didn’t play an entire season. Not even close actually. Case played from week 2 on. Does anyone really believe the eagles are 13-3 with Foles all year and winning the SB? I don’t see it. Wentz was the heart and soul of that team early in the year
Since you don't care how good the team Keanum played on..Then why should others care if Foles played a full season or not. Clearly, Foles outplayed keenum, toyed with arguably the best NFL defence(vikings). And to top it off, He won the ultimate Lombardi against the defending champs. Vikings should go after Foles and give him starter money.

:lol:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Via Rotoworld
According to NFL.com's Gil Brandt, the Vikings and free agent Kirk Cousins "certainly" have mutual interest.

Brandt went as far as to predict Cousins would indeed end up with the Vikings, even as the Broncos and Jets are viewed as his likeliest suitors. Minnesota has the NFL's ninth-most salary cap space and can offer Cousins a chance to win Super Bowls right away. Teddy Bridgewater, Case Keenum, and Sam Bradford are all free agents. "Kyle Sloter" is the Vikings' only QB under contract for 2018.
AND....
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Vikings are not expected to place the franchise tag on Case Keenum.

Interestingly, this report comes just hours after NFL.com's Gil Brandt reported the Vikings and free agent Kirk Cousins have mutual interest. Of course, the Vikings could still bring back Keenum on a long-term deal, but it looks like they are leaving their options open heading into free agency. Minnesota has around $55 million in cap space.
Pretty interesting but I feel like this is the smart approach. You HAVE to see what Kirk Cousins would take from us. Gotta be ballsy here. We have plenty of options and many QBs would want to be here because our team is loaded. So we can use that to our advantage.
It sure seems like the Vikings are going to be all-in for Cousins. I'm good with that. We've got the cap space, both this year and next year. Go for it and pair him up with DeFilippo.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

The Jets have basically came out and said they will pay whatever it takes to get Cousins. So, that tells me we might be looking to throw $150 million at him (thats what it might take). I think if he decides to go to the highest bidder, we are out, but if he wants to win right away (which he has said) then we are very much in play. Maybe he would take a little less in that scenario.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

mosscarter wrote:The Jets have basically came out and said they will pay whatever it takes to get Cousins. So, that tells me we might be looking to throw $150 million at him (thats what it might take). I think if he decides to go to the highest bidder, we are out, but if he wants to win right away (which he has said) then we are very much in play. Maybe he would take a little less in that scenario.
I just don't want the Vikings to be stupid and pay too much.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

A.D_blazing wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:

Since you don't care how good the team Keanum played on..Then why should others care if Foles played a full season or not. Clearly, Foles outplayed keenum, toyed with arguably the best NFL defence(vikings). And to top it off, He won the ultimate Lombardi against the defending champs. Vikings should go after Foles and give him starter money.

:lol:
You’re judging off 5-6 games vs an entire season. No less we’d have to trade for Foles. Just not a smart idea at all
-Chazz Palminteri
JSB
Waterboy

Post by JSB »

Well, as a native Minnesotan that moved to Houston in the late 70s.... and a lurker here for the season (as I remained a fan through the years). I had to chime in on this. I can't believe any team would give cousins a big contract. It will be a huge mistake in my opinion. They should have already signed Keenum to a decent guaranteed 2-year contract with years beyond (bigger money) as a team option that they can execute if he performs. I think he wanted to stay in Minnesota and I believe he would have jumped on a deal like that earlier. He studies defenses, knows the offense and his position at a high level. Which, I believe, means this season's performance was no fluke. He learned a lot from Houston and the Rams and finally had a solid team to play on...

That Phili game wasn't on him... The whole team was terrible!

Anyway, I have enjoyed visiting this message board all season! Great Year!

Jason